New occupational high school in Portland OR

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

New occupational high school in Portland OR

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Portland school board OKs new hip-hop high school
KOMO News 4 (Seattle ABC affiliate)
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - The Portland School Board has given its blessing to establishing a new charter high school in 2011 that highlights hip-hop music and culture. Proponents of the High School for Recording Arts Portland will spend the next 18 months strengthening their academic curriculum.

The school board vote was 6-0 Monday night. While several board members said they had concerns about the school's academic curriculum, they also said they appreciated the school's potential to draw students who aren't being served in the current system.

The new school's director, Erica Jayasuriya, says its mission is to prepare students to be successful in society while engaging them through the recording arts that include hip-hop music, dance, spoken word and art.

The new school aims to serve about 200 students.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

And they're going to serve up the literary classics, once they've been translated into Ebonics.

What a load of shit.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx »

I thought schools were out of money and needed federal money? This school is downright flushing tax money down the toilet....... dawg!

grayman

Post by grayman »

Wanna bet they'll make a "reality" television show out of this?

You will be electroplated. Resistance is potential divided by current! - Dr. Matt

Cogito, ergo Deus non est.

gnome

Post by gnome »

There is a magnet school in Tampa that has an artistic focus, and where the students tend to be highly successful academically. No reason this couldn't be similar... it depends on how well the curriculum is constructed.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

corplinx

Post by corplinx »

There was a high school even in the backwater of Memphis focusing on performing arts when I was growing up. Before we had terms like "magnet schools".

A 200 student school for hip hip is just retarded.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

LaGuardia High School, a public high school in NYC. Very successful.
Wiki wrote:Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts, is a high school specializing in teaching visual arts and performing arts, located near Martin Luther King, Jr. High School and the Juilliard School in the Lincoln Center district of Manhattan, on Amsterdam Avenue. The school is operated by the New York City Department of Education.

Although it also offers academic diplomas, the school prepares public high school students for professional careers and/or conservatory study in dance, drama, the visual arts, vocal, instrumental music, and technical theatre.

You need good grades and an audition to get in.

Compare and contrast.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Difficult to compare, when the article does not discuss entry requirements, or the other offerings of the school.

I seriously doubt that hip-hop is their only program.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

I suppose the main thing is keeping them off the streets.

corplinx

Post by corplinx »

gnome wrote:Difficult to compare, when the article does not discuss entry requirements, or the other offerings of the school.

I seriously doubt that hip-hop is their only program.
Its a 200 student school. Assuming its a typical 30-40 to 1 student-teacher ratio, then yes, its a hiphop school where you can minor in beatbox.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Then a pox on the news article... we shouldn't have to infer it if they can remove all doubt by providing essential details.
--Soldier, TF2