Best friends are teh evil

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Anaxagoras

Best friends are teh evil

Post by Anaxagoras »

Postmodern educators say that kids should not have "best friends"

Because that leads to cliques and bullying and social exclusion. :roll:
Most children naturally seek close friends. In a survey of nearly 3,000 Americans ages 8 to 24 conducted last year by Harris Interactive, 94 percent said they had at least one close friend. But the classic best-friend bond — the two special pals who share secrets and exploits, who gravitate to each other on the playground and who head out the door together every day after school — signals potential trouble for school officials intent on discouraging anything that hints of exclusivity, in part because of concerns about cliques and bullying.

“I think it is kids’ preference to pair up and have that one best friend. As adults — teachers and counselors — we try to encourage them not to do that,” said Christine Laycob, director of counseling at Mary Institute and St. Louis Country Day School in St. Louis. “We try to talk to kids and work with them to get them to have big groups of friends and not be so possessive about friends.”

“Parents sometimes say Johnny needs that one special friend,” she continued. “We say he doesn’t need a best friend.”

That attitude is a blunt manifestation of a mind-set that has led adults to become ever more involved in children’s social lives in recent years. The days when children roamed the neighborhood and played with whomever they wanted to until the streetlights came on disappeared long ago, replaced by the scheduled play date. While in the past a social slight in backyard games rarely came to teachers’ attention the next day, today an upsetting text message from one middle school student to another is often forwarded to school administrators, who frequently feel compelled to intervene in the relationship. (Ms. Laycob was speaking in an interview after spending much of the previous day dealing with a “really awful” text message one girl had sent another.) Indeed, much of the effort to encourage children to be friends with everyone is meant to head off bullying and other extreme consequences of social exclusion.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Educators who have never had a friend don't see why anybody else should.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Train them early to have no friends. People who have no friends are easier to govern.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Plausible grain of truth, poor execution.

I wouldn't interfere if my kids had a "best friend" but I discouraged them from "ranking" their friends officially. I can agree there's benefit in avoiding turning it into a status game. That does not mean that close friendships are bad.

When you're not popular, (as I wasn't) having a small handful, or even one, close friend, was essential to my sanity. I daresay the popular kids would actually be better off if they learned the difference between status seeking friends and real ones.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx »

They got it all wrong. Headline should read:

"Frail friendless boy should stop punching himself"

gnome

Post by gnome »

corplinx wrote:They got it all wrong. Headline should read:

"Frail friendless boy should stop punching himself"
:D

Anyway, if they want the kids to mix it up more, you don't have to pester them about their choice of friends. Just have teachers divide them up into different groups now and then for a fun activity. It might work, it might not, but any other kind of push won't do a thing.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

If friends are outlawed, only outlaws will be Quakers.

Wait.

I am not a crook.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Train them early to have no friends. People who have no friends are easier to govern.

Bingo.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Train them early to have no friends. People who have no friends are easier to govern.

Bingo.
But then you can't get them to turn in their friends!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Please note: Not having particular friends is already part of the discipline of Roman Catholic nuns and monks.

Betcha our "post modern educators" didn't know that.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Please note: Not having particular friends is already part of the discipline of Roman Catholic nuns and monks.

They're already married to Jebuz.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

DrMatt wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Please note: Not having particular friends is already part of the discipline of Roman Catholic nuns and monks.

They're already married to Jebuz.
Married to Gawd. And if they ask for a divorce, He gives them The World. :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

clarsct

Post by clarsct »

All my best friends are evil...it's why they are my friends.
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I made all of my friends evil.

But I am good that way.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Mark Steyn checks in on this issue:

Friendly Persuasion
“I think it is kids’ preference to pair up and have that one best friend. As adults – teachers and counselors – we try to encourage them not to do that.”

Thus, Christine Laycob, “director of counseling” at Mary Institute and St Louis Country Day School in Missouri, speaking to The New York Times the other day about why “best friends” are a bad thing. “Parents sometimes say Johnny needs that one special friend. We say he doesn’t need a best friend.”

By “we”, she means the expert opinion of “educators”. Granted that “educators” seem to have minimal interest in education, and that therefore it would be unreasonable to expect them to regard, say, American students’ under-performance in everything from math to music as a priority, one is still impressed by their ability to conjure hitherto unknown crises to obsess over. The tone of the Times piece is faintly creepy – not least in its acceptance of the totalitarian proposition that it’s appropriate for “experts” to re-engineer one of the most building blocks of our humanity: the right to choose our friends.