Multiple choice tests for dummies

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Denise

Post by Denise »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Denise wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:I am not a teacher, but I feel the classes I learned the most in were the ones where multiple choice questions were not the norm. This is especially true for my biggest interest which is history. Multiple choice questions can only test knowledge of basic facts, they don't demonstrate reasoning ability at all. The problem with that in subjects like history is that memorizing facts isn't the point. If I really need to know,say, what date the Magna Carta was signed on, I can easily look it up. Knowing why it was signed and what factors led to the signing is more to the point of taking such a class and a multiple choice question can't really show whether you have learned that or not.
So true!!! I love history too and I did take a couple of classes at community college ( I have no degree) and loved the essay tests. It's the understanding more than memorizing.
I am glad to see that I am not the only weirdo that ENJOYS essay questions on history tests. :D I enjoy writing real eassays even more. I always thought the people who whined about them were missing out on the best part of the subject.
Exactly.

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Denise wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Denise wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:I am not a teacher, but I feel the classes I learned the most in were the ones where multiple choice questions were not the norm. This is especially true for my biggest interest which is history. Multiple choice questions can only test knowledge of basic facts, they don't demonstrate reasoning ability at all. The problem with that in subjects like history is that memorizing facts isn't the point. If I really need to know,say, what date the Magna Carta was signed on, I can easily look it up. Knowing why it was signed and what factors led to the signing is more to the point of taking such a class and a multiple choice question can't really show whether you have learned that or not.
So true!!! I love history too and I did take a couple of classes at community college ( I have no degree) and loved the essay tests. It's the understanding more than memorizing.
I am glad to see that I am not the only weirdo that ENJOYS essay questions on history tests. :D I enjoy writing real eassays even more. I always thought the people who whined about them were missing out on the best part of the subject.
Exactly.
Well, the analysis part is what I see most people as being very weak on. Look at the attempt at discussion of the enlightenment and its effects on the founders over at JREF, for instance. I don't even think most people understand what that meant.
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.