Why sex education in the public schools is bad.

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Nyarlathotep
Title: God Emperor

Re: Why sex education in the public schools is bad.

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Most of what they teach you in civics class is true only on paper but not in actual fact anyway. Things like "separation of powers" and "separation of church and state". Not to mention the blatant lies like "your vote counts" and "our systemof government works".

If any class is meant by its very design to indoctrinate, it's fucking Civics class. At least parts of Sex Ed (how much depends on the specific cirriculum, natch) teach factual information like "Be careful where you stick that thing or you'll catch the clap or worse"
“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”

gnome

Post by gnome »

It would be a dark day when they stop teaching kids how the system is intended to work, even if in reality it doesn't function well.

I think those concepts are definitely worth teaching.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

gnome wrote:It would be a dark day when they stop teaching kids how the system is intended to work, even if in reality it doesn't function well.

Why bother when those are nothing but a bunch of propaganda meant to give kids the illusion that things work differently than they do? Ours is a government of the rich, by the rich and for the rich, whose sole purpose is keeping the peasants in line so the rich can enjoy their power and privilege, everyone else can just fuck off. Why not at least be honest about it?
“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
gnome wrote:It would be a dark day when they stop teaching kids how the system is intended to work, even if in reality it doesn't function well.

Why bother when those are nothing but a bunch of propaganda meant to give kids the illusion that things work differently than they do? Ours is a government of the rich, by the rich and for the rich, whose sole purpose is keeping the peasants in line so the rich can enjoy their power and privilege, everyone else can just fuck off. Why not at least be honest about it?

Why bother? Because it's good form to at least try to make a fucking difference. (And this from a world class cynic!)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Something needs a little pinning down here. "Indoctrination" like "propaganda" is not ipso facto evil.

If you tell a child how to behave, that is indoctrination.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

sparks wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:

Why bother? Because it's good form to at least try to make a fucking difference. (And this from a world class cynic!)
You can at least try to flap your arms and fly to the moon too. It's pretty much a waste of time and makes you look like a fool, though.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Name that fallacy for 100 please Alex.......

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Something needs a little pinning down here. "Indoctrination" like "propaganda" is not ipso facto evil.

Is setting kids up with unrealistic expectations and a completely false worldview evil? Especially when its for the sole purpose of keeping them docile little drones for the people who run things.

I think it is.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

sparks wrote:Name that fallacy for 100 please Alex.......
If you consider realizing that some things are a waste of time and effort because you will never succeed a fallacy, sure.

sparks

Post by sparks »

I'm afraid you've missed it Nyar. And because I like you, I'm not going to press it.

clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

If teachers are not qualified to teach Sex Ed to kids, then who is? Where is this qualification? How does one attain it?

I would agree that too many folks seem to rely on schools to raise children. Should Sex Ed be a purely parental concern? Is it a part of the curriculum that should be held by the parents? If so, would the parents be any more 'qualified' than the teachers?

Nyarl: So we should teach our children this: The rich control everything, you're fucked, get used to it.
?
How did the rich get rich?

But aside from all that, I think the real question is what should we teach in public schools? What is the domain of the school, and what is the domain of parents?
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

clarsct wrote:
Nyarl: So we should teach our children this: The rich control everything, you're fucked, get used to it.
?
"The rich control control everything, you're fucked, get used to it" is the truth, so why lie and tell them otherwise? What purpose does it serve to pretend that things are different than they are?

sparks

Post by sparks »

Damn man, if that's the way you really feel about it, then what is the point in anything?

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

sparks wrote:Damn man, if that's the way you really feel about it, then what is the point in anything?
I ask myself that all the time. I'll get back to you if I ever come up with an answer.

I think the character in my current avatar has the right idea. There is no point.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Something needs a little pinning down here. "Indoctrination" like "propaganda" is not ipso facto evil.

Is setting kids up with unrealistic expectations and a completely false worldview evil? Especially when its for the sole purpose of keeping them docile little drones for the people who run things.

I think it is.
I would say that throughout history, the ones that have been the biggest thorns in the side of those who run things are the ones who know how it's supposed to be. The ones that know they have rights and go to court to get them are the ones that have changed how the rulers behave, to what extent that it is possible.

The drones would be ones that haven't been told they have rights, or how to try to enforce them.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

sparks

Post by sparks »

Good point.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

gnome wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:

I think it is.
I would say that throughout history, the ones that have been the biggest thorns in the side of those who run things are the ones who know how it's supposed to be. The ones that know they have rights and go to court to get them are the ones that have changed how the rulers behave, to what extent that it is possible.

The drones would be ones that haven't been told they have rights, or how to try to enforce them.
Good luck with that.

gnome

Post by gnome »

I can give plenty of examples if you don't believe me.
--Soldier, TF2

sparks

Post by sparks »

"You goddamn kids! Stop having sex on my lawn!!"

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The way I see it, the issue is whether it is in the interests of society for schoolchildren to be taught about sex by Sargeant Schultz using a curriculum constructed by a committee of Colonel Klinks.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.