The correct use of a semicolon is a big red flag for me.

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

The correct use of a semicolon is a big red flag for me.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Cheating in philosophy class.

http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2011 ... _day_2.php
From a dialogue between a university professor and someone who writes term papers for pay for other people:
  • My favorite case this semester was plagiarism within plagiarism. When I informed this student that I suspected her paper was plagiarized, she said to me, "I got my paper from one of the students who was in your class last semester. How was I to know that she had plagiarized?"
Epic fail. Literally.
Which links to THIS, which is worth reading in it's entirety (and where I got the subject line).

8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: The correct use of a semicolon is a big red flag for me.

Post by Rob Lister »

that was a good read. this stuck out
C: Precisely. It’s worth your money to get your time back. While I was taking that guy’s classes, he spent the semester driving around the country, spending at least two nights in all 48 continental states. That’s a much better use of your time than four anthro classes. And I was happy to help him do it. Most the paper assignments I get are: read these articles, regurgitate them, quote them, tell me what it’s all about. If you’re not interested in those articles, what are you going to learn from doing that? Nothing! I almost never get an assignment where I think, “Oh, interesting paper topic.” Never happens, with few exceptions. The only times it happens are when the client is buying all of his semester’s papers from me. Most of the papers are dumb papers for introductory classes that the student is clearly just doing for credits. I get serious papers too, graduate papers, but it tends to be people who are not in college to be learning this content.
That's the Cheat's perspective, of course. He is rationalizing his trade. I'm certain he could rationalize it for any student, any cause; he too has to sleep at night. So why is there is such a desire NOT to learn what is being taught in college? A person goes into debt up to his eyeballs to pay someone to teach him stuff and then turns around and pays someone else fist fulls of money so as to not have to learn it. I need that degree! No, not the knowledge behind it, just the paper that proves it.

And of course the universities are happy to reluctantly turn a blind eye. Perhaps a sophomore class in plagiarism fundamentals would stem the tide. Might as well. If the students are going to do it, and the teachers really don't want to catch them, they should teach them how to do it properly.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

America is thus a nation rapidly drifting towards a state of things in which no man of science or letters will be accounted respectable unless some kind of badge or diploma is stamped upon him, and in which bare personality will be a mark of outcast estate. It seems to me high time to rouse ourselves to consciousness, and to cast a critical eye upon this decidedly grotesque tendency. Other nations suffer terribly from the Mandarin disease. Are we doomed to suffer like the rest?
http://wmbriggs.com/blog/?p=4080

I tentatively agree. The education bubble is the oddest of all pump and dumps.

gnome

Post by gnome »

The link seems to be a totally different article about a ham-fisted pet law in SF.

But, in general... if someone claims the credibility of academics, why not expect actual credentials?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2