Just showing up for class now earns an 'A'

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Anaxagoras

Just showing up for class now earns an 'A'

Post by Anaxagoras »

The Most Common Grade at U.S. Colleges Is an ‘A’
A new study shows that the most common grade at four-year U.S. colleges and universities is an A, which accounts for 43 percent of all grades, and the second most common grade is a B, which accounts for 34 percent of all grades. The study points to the idea that grade inflation at U.S. colleges is, yes, really rampant. But it also points out that those who manage to show up for class tend to be fine, and that professors are finally acknowledging just how challenging that can be. When you're wasted and everything, at least. Ah, college. WE MISS YOU. Anyhow.
I miss college too. :p
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Re: Just showing up for class now earns an 'A'

Post by gnome »

Well, showing up for the lesson does tend to increase your mastery of the material.

Except my microeconomics course. She talked lilke Sister Mary Elephant and my grades improved when I stopped attending the lectures.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Well that's a bloody fucking small consolidation when you're own damn major has jack-all to do with getting a job. After charging you through your bloody nose for it.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

That's what I'd like to know about Bitcoins. Can they be fitted nasally?
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

grayman

Post by grayman »

DrMatt wrote:That's what I'd like to know about Bitcoins. Can they be fitted nasally?
Maybe...

[youtube]E1mCWoPA5_w[/youtube]
You will be electroplated. Resistance is potential divided by current! - Dr. Matt

Cogito, ergo Deus non est.

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk »

DrMatt wrote:That's what I'd like to know about Bitcoins. Can they be used to buy Depends?
ftfy

clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Probably because most courses are 'appreciation' courses...gen eds that have fuckall to do with your major. And it seems like most profs know it. The chemistry classes I took for my major were not easy A courses, but if it was a gen ed, I noticed most profs graded easier. They know that you're there because you have to be, hell, they remember that much, and they grade easier because of that. If it's an elective, or a course for your major, then the gloves come off.

It isn't grade inflation, it's tuition inflation that is the problem.
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife