Be My Classmate

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
DrMatt
BANNED

Re: Be My Classmate

Post by DrMatt »

Aeronautical engineering texts do not define the goal of their field as making "machines that fly so exactly like pigeons that they can fool even other pigeons."
[youtube]Fg_JcKSHUtQ[/youtube]
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Churchill

Post by Churchill »

I registered today. For the advanced track. (for now)

Thinking of getting the book. I'll check for cheap used copies but due to the popularity of the course I imagine it will be hard yo come by.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

John Stuart Mill

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Mentat wrote:Bah, too poor to afford a book. Screw it, I learn mostly from lectures anyways :D

Also, I'm gonna try learning/using lisp. I've heard it's good for ai stuff.
For this class, [rumor has it that] Python will be used when/wherever code examples are needed. That's good, as I hate lisp.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Lisp can be okay, but Scheme is the dialect used by the big boys. Scheme fully implements Alonzo Church's lambda calculus. Lisp truly does not, requires that you carry an instance of the compiler around with your code in order to simulate it. Lisp is to Scheme approximately as C++ is to Java: a cumbersome way to fake it, full of distracting infrastructure.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Churchill

Post by Churchill »

Hey guys. A few questions.

I assume that the lectures will be available to stream once posted to the site at our leisure, so that we don't have to necessarily take the class during business hours?

The instructions indicated that we don't have to buy the book, but the class will likely be easier with it. Is there an online version (preferably free)?

I am a fairly weak at coding. Do you think this will be an issue or will I be able to work through it? I'll give it a try anyway. I thank you in advance with the patience you will have with my basic and stupid programming questions and trust you will not conduct yourselves in the same anal, rude and pedantic manner as you all do in the politics section :D
:bricks:
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

John Stuart Mill

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Looks like I need to learn Python. Always meant to anyway.

Mentat

Post by Mentat »

DrMatt wrote:Lisp can be okay, but Scheme is the dialect used by the big boys. Scheme fully implements Alonzo Church's lambda calculus. Lisp truly does not, requires that you carry an instance of the compiler around with your code in order to simulate it. Lisp is to Scheme approximately as C++ is to Java: a cumbersome way to fake it, full of distracting infrastructure.
Any advice on a good scheme implementation?
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Churchill wrote:Hey guys. A few questions.

I assume that the lectures will be available to stream once posted to the site at our leisure, so that we don't have to necessarily take the class during business hours?
Yeah, from their FAQ:
Are the lectures live? How long will they be available? What time is the class?

The lectures are pre-recorded and as each topic is posted it will remain available for the duration of the course.

The instructions indicated that we don't have to buy the book, but the class will likely be easier with it. Is there an online version (preferably free)?
Not that I know of. Not a legal copy, at least.
I am a fairly weak at coding. Do you think this will be an issue or will I be able to work through it? I'll give it a try anyway. I thank you in advance with the patience you will have with my basic and stupid programming questions and trust you will not conduct yourselves in the same anal, rude and pedantic manner as you all do in the politics section :D
:bricks:
As long as you don't ask RPG questions. Only morons know RPG. :P
It's "pea-can", man.

Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Looks like I need to learn Python. Always meant to anyway.
Hardest part about python that I found was working with the stupid tabbing nonsense. Other than that, it's a pleasure to work with and learn.
It's "pea-can", man.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Mentat wrote:
As long as you don't ask RPG questions. Only morons know RPG. :P
Heeeeeeyyyyyyyyyy. :x

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

[youtube]WnzlbyTZsQY[/youtube]

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

:clap:

We have a long way to go. (unless they were communicating thru a back channel or something :shock: )
About that stereo

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Rob Lister wrote: [youtube]
Artificial French people giving each other a hard time.

Vive l'examen du Turing! 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Anyone [of my classmates] that are not getting the recommended course material, please review the youtube video and take note of what the bot-monitor to the right is sitting on.

Rob Lister

To My Classmate

Post by Rob Lister »

Are you reviewing the prerequisites?
Prerequisites

Some of the topics in Introduction to Artificial Intelligence will build on probability theory and linear algebra. To brush up, here are some related videos from Khan Academy. Watching these videos is not required, and you can probably do well in the class even if you are not initially familiar with these topics but are willing to work hard.
http://www.ai-class.com/resources
the above link is to links wherein you can review the basics

I know that some of you are studious by profession and these topics are likely trivial to you, but some of those topics are so buried in my memory that I am having difficulty digging them out...even with the help of the review videos (which leave a lot to be desired).
Probability Prerequisites

Basic Probability
Probability (Part 6) [Conditional Probability]
Probability (Part 7) [Bayes' Rule]
Probability (Part 8) [More Bayes' Rule]
Introduction to Random Variables
Probability Density Functions
Expected Value: E(X)

Linear Algebra Prerequisites

Introduction to Matrices
Matrix Multiplication (Part 1)
Matrix Multiplication (Part 2)
Inverse Matrix (Part 1)
Inverting Matrices (Part 2)
Inverting Matrices (Part 3)
Matrices to Solve a System of Equations
Singular Matrices
Introduction to Vectors
Vector Dot Product and Vector Length
Defining the Angle Between Vectors
Cross Product Introduction
Matrix Vector Products
Linear Transformations as Matrix Vector Products
Linear Transformation Examples: Scaling and Reflections
Linear Transformation Examples: Rotations in R2
Introduction to Projections
Exploring the Solution Set of Ax = b
Transpose of a Matrix
3x3 Determinant
Introduction to Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors
Have I bitten off more than I can chew? We'll see.

Churchill

Post by Churchill »

Thanks for the heads up Rob. I'll have to take a look at the videos this weekend.

I am reading the introduction chapter of the book. On page 26:
"The approach allows for learning from experience, and it combines the best of classical AI and neural nets. Work by Judea Pearl ( I 982a) and by Eric Horvitz and David Beckerman (Horvitz and Beckerman, 1986; _Horvitz et al., 1986) promoted the idea of normative expert systems: ones that act rationally according to the laws of decision theory and do not try to imitate the thought steps of human experts."

The Judea Pearl mentioned above in ragards to Bayesian networks, is the same Judea Pearl whos son the journalist Daniel Pearl was killed (in a brutal manner) by Al Qaeda. In his wikki :Judea Pearl (born 1936) is a computer scientist and philosopher, best known for developing the probabilistic approach to artificial intelligence and the development of Bayesian networks (see the article on belief propagation). He is also credited for developing a method of causal and counterfactual inference based on structural models (see article on causality).

Heh, small world.

John Stuart Mill

Churchill

Post by Churchill »

Well, I've finished reading the introduction of the book so far. I have also looked at the recommended video tutorials, which I have to say, I enjoyed very much. They are relatively easy (which coming from me is saying something), but a good review nevertheless. I really like that Khan Academy site and plan on watching lots of other tutorials not directly related to this course.

Cheers

John Stuart Mill

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Check your email. It appears they're making us re-enroll but there's actual course-related stuff to do once you get logged in.

Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Anybody do the quizzes/homework yet?
It's "pea-can", man.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Mentat wrote:Anybody do the quizzes/homework yet?
I"m still playing catchup on the videos. I like our instructor but he needs a better lighting/sound crew.