Reading Comprehension Falls

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Reading Comprehension Falls

Post by Rob Lister »

(Newser) – One of the three Rs just found a new basement: SAT reading scores fell three points to reach their lowest level on record, the AP reports. The decline took the scores to 497 out of 800, and it was just the second time in the past 20 years that reading scores have fallen that much in one year. In 2005, the average was 508. Math scores for the class of 2011 dropped from 515 to 514 and writing scores from 491 to 489, bringing the overall score down from 1506 to 1500, notes Education Week. Combined reading and math scores hit their lowest level since 1995,

interestingly, math and reading scores swapped around '90. I'm not sure how much the SAT question bank has changed over the decades so the changes may mean little or nothing. Presumably, they know how to normalize the output though.
The College Board notes that the decline reflects the growing number of students taking the test (1.65 million, up from 1.6 million in 2010); the more students that take it, the more average scores tend to fall. Notably, more Hispanics are taking the exam, and the US may need to make changes to reading and writing instruction to keep pace with changing demographics. Twenty-seven percent of test-takers did not speak English as a first language—up from 19% 10 years ago.
I'm not sure that's the solution. Further, I think the US should keep their noses out of it.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Reading Comprehension Falls

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

... Presumably, they [ kid themselves that they ] know how to normalize the output though. ...
Not positing any base motives. Just sayin' ... 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Rob Lister wrote:
The College Board notes that the decline reflects the growing number of students taking the test (1.65 million, up from 1.6 million in 2010); the more students that take it, the more average scores tend to fall. Notably, more Hispanics are taking the exam, and the US may need to make changes to reading and writing instruction to keep pace with changing demographics. Twenty-seven percent of test-takers did not speak English as a first language—up from 19% 10 years ago.
I'm not sure that's the solution. Further, I think the US should keep their noses out of it.
I think it rather depends what changes they plan to make.
When the US keeps their noses out, I feel like we are likely to get some horribly disfunctional schools in broke states. By that I mean, to an even worse degree than we have now. At least right now they can count on some help with funding.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

gnome wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:
I think it rather depends what changes they plan to make.
When the US keeps their noses out, I feel like we are likely to get some horribly disfunctional schools in broke states.
I'm ok with that.
By that I mean, to an even worse degree than we have now. At least right now they can count on some help with funding.
money isn't going to make them less dysfunctional.

gnome

Post by gnome »

That's my point. If the feddies "keep their nose out" that typically means federal funding as well, wouldn't it?

Hard to fund something without having your nose in. You are a stakeholder then.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

gnome wrote:That's my point. If the feddies "keep their nose out" that typically means federal funding as well, wouldn't it?

Hard to fund something without having your nose in. You are a stakeholder then.
i think you're begging the question but then again, you're always hard to parse.

But yes, keeping their noses out of it includes federal funding: there shouldn't be any.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Money can most certainly make a school less dysfunctional if one of the problems is a critical lack of resources.
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

gnome wrote:Money can most certainly make a school less dysfunctional if one of the problems is a critical lack of resources.
then they should raise local taxes to get the resources. redo their budget to reallocate more funds to the schools. rethink how their allocating the current education funds. have a bake sale. all of the above.

or borrow from china at the prevailing rate. whatever works for them, i'm good with.

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Rob Lister wrote:
gnome wrote:Money can most certainly make a school less dysfunctional if one of the problems is a critical lack of resources.
then they should raise local taxes to get the resources. redo their budget to reallocate more funds to the schools. rethink how their allocating the current education funds. have a bake sale. all of the above.

or borrow from china at the prevailing rate. whatever works for them, i'm good with.
You have to break the back of the teachers union and that is not in the cards with Obama.
About that stereo

gnome

Post by gnome »

Rob Lister wrote:

That is a valid point of view. I disagree and see it as a worthwhile federal investment to improve school performance in cash-strapped regions.

The same reason it is useful for a state to allocate funding instead of having the counties raise the money themselves.
--Soldier, TF2