The Loch Ness Monster Disproves Evolution

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Anaxagoras

The Loch Ness Monster Disproves Evolution

Post by Anaxagoras »

How American fundamentalist schools are using Nessie to disprove evolution
IT sounds like a plot dreamed up by the creators of Southpark, but it's all true: schoolchildren in Louisiana are to be taught that the Loch Ness monster is real in a bid by religious educators to disprove Darwin's theory of evolution.

Thousands of children in the southern state will receive publicly-funded vouchers for the next school year to attend private schools where Scotland's most famous mythological beast will be taught as a real living creature.

These private schools follow a fundamentalist curriculum including the Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) programme to teach controversial religious beliefs aimed at disproving evolution and proving creationism.

One tenet has it that if it can be proved that dinosaurs walked the earth at the same time as man then Darwinism is fatally flawed.

Critics have damned the content of the course books, calling them "bizarre" and accusing them of promoting radical religious and political ideologies.

The textbooks in the series are alleged to teach young earth creationism; are hostile towards other religions and other sectors of Christianity, including Roman Catholicism; and present a biased version of history that is often factually incorrect.

One ACE textbook – Biology 1099, Accelerated Christian Education Inc – reads: "Are dinosaurs alive today? Scientists are becoming more convinced of their existence. Have you heard of the 'Loch Ness Monster' in Scotland? 'Nessie' for short has been recorded on sonar from a small submarine, described by eyewitnesses, and photographed by others. Nessie appears to be a plesiosaur."

Another claim taught is that a Japanese whaling boat once caught a dinosaur. It's unclear if the movie Godzilla was the inspiration for this lesson.
:|
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Re: The Loch Ness Monster Disproves Evolution

Post by corplinx »

Another claim taught is that a Japanese whaling boat once caught a dinosaur. It's unclear if the movie Godzilla was the inspiration for this lesson.
There an old photo of a ship pulling in a whale carcass reduced mostly to strips of flesh hanging off the spine. People in err thought they were seeing some sort of long necked aquatic reptile like a plesiosaur.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The Loch Ness monster isn't real, but it's not inherently impossible like creationism.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Well, yes, a breeding population of leviathans in a small lake, going unnoticed except for rare sightings, eating who knows what--is just as impossible, but the reasons are ever so slightly more subtle.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed »

I'll stick my neck out for YOU!!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

DrMatt wrote:Well, yes, a breeding population of leviathans in a small lake, going unnoticed except for rare sightings, eating who knows what--is just as impossible, but the reasons are ever so slightly more subtle.
Breeding population?

Or the last of its kind, trapped when the loch was cut off from the sea?

C'mon DrMatt. I got a whole narrative here. :evil:
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

ed wrote:Image
The Atlantean ambassador is about to present his credentials to the UN. :)

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
DrMatt wrote:Well, yes, a breeding population of leviathans in a small lake, going unnoticed except for rare sightings, eating who knows what--is just as impossible, but the reasons are ever so slightly more subtle.
Breeding population?

Or the last of i's kind, trapped when the loch was cut off from the sea?

C'mon DrMatt. I got a whole narrative here. :evil:
Yeah, it's having Paul Bunyan's love child.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

ed wrote:Image
The Loch Ness Monster was Jack the Ripper - Truth or Bullshit?
ta-
DAVE!!!

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Jack the Ripper was a chick.

Or not.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

corplinx wrote:
There an old photo of a ship pulling in a whale carcass reduced mostly to strips of flesh hanging off the spine. People in err thought they were seeing some sort of long necked aquatic reptile like a plesiosaur.
Yes, that photo is here (it was actually a basking shark, not a whale).

Top 5 Lies Taught By Accelerated Christian Education

Here's another whopper:
4. Solar Fusion is a Myth

The sun, as everybody knows, works by nuclear fusion. Unfortunately, Creationists have a pet theory, outlined on pages 7-9 of Science 1096 (a PACE devoted entirely to refuting evolution, packed with misinformation and distortions of the truth). In short, Creationists want to prove that the sun is shrinking. If the sun is shrinking at a constant rate, then billions of years ago it would have swallowed up the earth. This, they say, proves that the universe must be young.

Unfortunately for them, the sun is not shrinking. That’s because, contrary to their assumptions, the sun is not a massive gas boiler gradually shrinking as it burns fuel. It’s a fusion reactor. This doesn’t fit their model, so they outright deny the truth:
The nuclear fusion theory of how the sun emits heat and light is an invention of evolution scientists… All other theories require the sun to use up all its energy sooner than the evolutionists’ invented timetable would allow.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

A Scottish surgeon getting revenge by faking a photo disproves evolution?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

At Eternity Christian Academy, pastor-turned-principal Marie Carrier says that the her first through eighth-grade students learn at their own pace from Christian workbooks. The beginning science text explains "what God made" on each of the six days of creation. Evolution is not taught.

Carrier said, "We try to stay away from all those things that might confuse our children."
A rude awakening awaits them when they emerge into the real world.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

grayman

Post by grayman »

Pyrrho wrote: A rude awakening awaits them if they emerge into the real world.
FTFY.
You will be electroplated. Resistance is potential divided by current! - Dr. Matt

Cogito, ergo Deus non est.

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff22 ... sc/ble.jpg

Nessie is alive and well, and pretending to be driftwood on a beach in Southern California!
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.

clarsct

Post by clarsct »

I must agree. Most University classes in science take quite a bit of knowledge for granted.

I was at a school that taught science, and I had quite bit of catching up to do for no other reason than the program was a touch weak.

Not weak as in creationism, just weak as in we were taught the fundamentals, and nothing futher. Hell, I taught more chemistry than the teacher did. It was a small school, my graduating class was 52. I did okay, but I had a lot of catching up to do. I hate to think what happens to these poor bastards.
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed »

clarsct wrote:I must agree. Most University classes in science take quite a bit of knowledge for granted.

I was at a school that taught science, and I had quite bit of catching up to do for no other reason than the program was a touch weak.

Not weak as in creationism, just weak as in we were taught the fundamentals, and nothing futher. Hell, I taught more chemistry than the teacher did. It was a small school, my graduating class was 52. I did okay, but I had a lot of catching up to do. I hate to think what happens to these poor bastards.

Didn't some fundie sue a real college for not accepting his BS creationist training as preparation for college courses?
I'll stick my neck out for YOU!!