Wisconsin district to teach more than evolution

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Marian

Wisconsin district to teach more than evolution

Post by Marian »

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/11/06 ... index.html
Members of Grantsburg's school board believed that a state law governing the teaching of evolution was too restrictive. The science curriculum "should not be totally inclusive of just one scientific theory," said Joni Burgin, superintendent of the district of 1,000 students in northwest Wisconsin.

Last month, when the board examined its science curriculum, language was added calling for "various models/theories" of origin to be incorporated.
And creeping elsewhere...
There have been scattered efforts around the nation for other school boards to adopt similar measures. Last month the Dover Area School Board in Pennsylvania voted to require the teaching of alternative theories to evolution, including "intelligent design" -- the idea that life is too complex to have developed without a creator.

The state education board in Kansas was heavily criticized in 1999 when it deleted most references to evolution. The decision was reversed in 2001.

In March, the Ohio Board of Education narrowly approved a lesson plan that some critics contended opens the door to teaching creationism.
:o

And it doesn't even mention Cobb County, Georgia.

Just incredible! And what angers me the most is the constant misuse of the word "theory", using the common English form, rather than the scientific definition. The "they're both just theories!" isn't stated in the article (that I saw), but it runs silently throughout.

:x I'll resist ranting, because I'm preaching to the choir here, to use a bad pun.
[size=75]<b><u>Trolls that I'm not feeding</u></b>
Jarod3, Kilik, Interesting Ian

<b><u>Also on ignore...</u></b>
jj[/size]

[url=http://www.elementsgraphics.net/index.php?id=eggs][img]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/o919a.gif[/img][/url]

Loon

Re: Wisconsin district to teach more than evolution

Post by Loon »

This shit keeps happening. What can we do?

I'm not sure there's a whole lot because lobbying for only real scientific history (i.e., evolution) will be percieved as anti-god and sway nobody. The only hope is to build majorities.

Either that or just resign these poor kids to their fate and wait for them to get weeded out of good jobs. Which of course means they'll be poor and therefore, statistically, have more kids, who will be poor and have to go to schools that teach stupidity and then grow up to have vote for more stupidity...

So America is fucked.
I guess there he chose to err on the side of more votes. -[size=75]Grammatron[/size]

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Loon wrote: ... So America is fucked.
The real problem is the general shittiness of the public schools.

When they teach evolution it is Flintstonism, not a scientific theory. As I recall from 40 years ago. Is it better now, even in the "blue states" ?

I wasn't up to speed on this until an adult.

Teach reading, and the rest follows. Then the kids can read anything and form their own ideas.

Better a fundie home-schooler who can read and then goes to college, than a public schooler who "believes" in evolution but has trouble reading a newspaper.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

exarch

Post by exarch »

Marian wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/11/06 ... index.html
Members of Grantsburg's school board believed that a state law governing the teaching of evolution was too restrictive. The science curriculum "should not be totally inclusive of just one scientific theory," said Joni Burgin, superintendent of the district of 1,000 students in northwest Wisconsin.
I'd be OK with that. Seeing how there are no other scientific theories to choose from.
Of course, that's where the fundies squeeze their foot in the door even though it isn't even open ...
[size=75]Lord high emperor Skinny-god's first heir to the throne[/size]