Yoga in schools

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Cloverlief

Yoga in schools

Post by Cloverlief »

NPR: Yoga in School Promotes Hinduism?

I have to say that I am a bit torn on this one. There is a lot of woo in yoga, but it isn't part and parcel of yoga, and the exercises and meditation aspects can be calming and done without the woo. Also, yoga as we know it in the US, is not a part of hinduism, but part of the new age movement.

From what I read in the article, it does not seem that this yoga is teaching the kids any religion. The only specific thing mentioned was the sun salutation, which encourages the kids to thank the sun for the life it gives, which btw, isn't hinduism, but closer to sun worship if anything.

Quite honestly, I would want to see what motivates the parents to be upset about this. At a gut level, I suspect these are people who are upset because prayer isn't allowed in school, but I have nothing to base that on, and it may be my own bias.
Chani
DrMatt
BANNED

Re: Yoga in schools

Post by DrMatt »

Scrimmage football promotes militarism. Prove me wrong!
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Trying to think of a comparison. Is there an activity with roots in Christianity that is no longer a specific religious observance?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief »

gnome wrote:Trying to think of a comparison. Is there an activity with roots in Christianity that is no longer a specific religious observance?
That is harder because Christianity stole so many activities from other religions and cultures.

But as yoga as practiced in the US is not related to hinduism. It is rather like claiming wrestling is pushing Ancient Greek religion.
Chani
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

DrMatt wrote:Scrimmage football ...
... is a religion! :evil:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief »

DrMatt wrote:Scrimmage football promotes militarism. Prove me wrong!
No desire to do so. :P
Chani
specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

If our kid's school offered Yoga, I probably wouldn't think twice unless the instructor started teaching about "spirituality." Thanking the sun is borderline - I don't like it because it's nonsense and it implies the sun cares what I think, but it isn't quite enough to call it religion.

I'm even OK with the instructor explaining the religious origin of the exercises, as long as it's made clear that performing Yoga is not a worship exercise.
ta-
DAVE!!!
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

I'm not too happy about the Sun worshipping thing, (although it makes more sense than worshipping something that doesn't exist), but otherwise, I don't really see a problem. Are the parents who are protesting fundy Xians?
Last edited by asthmatic camel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief »

specious_reasons wrote:If our kid's school offered Yoga, I probably wouldn't think twice unless the instructor started teaching about "spirituality." Thanking the sun is borderline - I don't like it because it's nonsense and it implies the sun cares what I think, but it isn't quite enough to call it religion.

I'm even OK with the instructor explaining the religious origin of the exercises, as long as it's made clear that performing Yoga is not a worship exercise.

I think if they are going to go into the spirituality aspect then it should not be a mandatory class, which it appears to be in the school district in the article. For my kids, I had no problem with them explaining religion in regards to the origins and historical value. My problem is when they persented that as truth, and tried to get my kids to believe. Like the Socialogy teacher who showed the Ten Commandments in class because "...it depicted Egyptian culture well." Bull pucky.
Chani
Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief »

asthmatic camel wrote:I'm not too happy about the Sun worshiping thing, (although it makes more sense than worshiping something that doesn't exist), but otherwise, I don't really see a problem. Are the parents who are protesting fundy Xians?

Yes, I agree with the sun worshipping thing, but that was from a parent who disapproves, and that makes me leery. But it is the only thing she mentioned at all that smacks even marginally of religion.

It looks to that this parent really objects to the belief of the Jois Foundation's founder's belief more than anything, and therefore the yoga is tainted in her opinion.
Those looked like religious teachings to her, so she opted to keep her son out of the classes. The more Eady reads about the Jois Foundation and its founders' beliefs in the spiritual benefits of Ashtanga yoga, the more she's convinced that the poses and meditation can't be separated from their Hindu roots.
Also, she objects because the curriculum states
....that it's meant to shape the way that they view the world, it's meant to shape the way that they make life decisions," Eady says. "It's meant to shape the way that they regulate their emotions and the way that they view themselves.
, but isn't that what school does and is meant to do?
Chani
asthmatic camel

Many exercise regimes incorporate some aspect of spirituality. I used to love karate, and the sessions always began and ended with a brief period of meditation, (not really religious in any way, although some schools go the whole woo hog and teach about "Chi", which is a load of bollocks.)

On the whole, I think if it's motivating kids to take exercise, yoga can't be a bad thing; better for them than video games...
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Define "spirituality". :BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
asthmatic camel

"Bullshit" normally suffices.

:D
DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

If it's an excuse for yoga pants....
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.
gnome

Post by gnome »

I've often wondered if this sort of thing is a sort of snarky "Hey, if they can teach yoga, why can't I push school prayer on my neighbor's kids?"
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief »

gnome wrote:I've often wondered if this sort of thing is a sort of snarky "Hey, if they can teach yoga, why can't I push school prayer on my neighbor's kids?"
That is my gut feeling, really, but I have no evidence.
Chani
clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Does sleeping in schools, then, promote Catholicism?

(Based on the few services I have attended...)
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife