PA school board approves (un)"intelligent design"

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

PA school board approves (un)"intelligent design"

Post by shemp »

School Board: Darwin Ain't All
(AP) When talk at the high school here turns to evolution, biology teachers have to make time for Charles Darwin as well as his detractors.

With a vote last month, the school board in the rural south-central Pennsylvania community is believed to have become the first in the nation to mandate the teaching of "intelligent design," which holds that the universe is so complex that it must have been created by an unspecified higher power.

Critics call the change in the ninth-grade biology curriculum a veiled attempt to require public schoolchildren to learn creationism, a biblical-based view that credits the origin of species to God. Schools typically teach evolution, the theory that Earth is billions of years old and that its life forms developed over millions of years.
:knock:
Last edited by shemp on Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Doesn't matter if it's overturned in one state, the morons will just keep running that play til they get it right. Then they can call it a precedent, and keep going state to state until science is dead.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

Vic Daring

Post by Vic Daring »

Yikes!!

Way to close to home. I live in Pennsylvania.

It's a friggin' blue state!!!

Time to attend a school board meeting and demand that they teach the Invisible Pink Unicorn Theory.

Hey, it's a downright fraud to perpetrate on the students, to portray one theory over and over. What we want is a balanced presentation.

Plus, You can't be hypocritical with these kids, teaching them one thing but not another.

Might be fun to develop a brief IPU lesson plan.
Victim of the SBN (Search Button Nazis)

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Vic Daring wrote:Yikes!!

Irrelevant. It is the mush-headedness of the school authorities, not their supposed politics. When you think about it, postmodern relativism will sit still for any woowoo nonsense as long as old-time religion isn't explicity mentioned. The ID folks are very careful about that in public.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Vic Daring

Post by Vic Daring »

You don't think these were "moral values" voters?
Victim of the SBN (Search Button Nazis)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Vic Daring wrote:You don't think these were "moral values" voters?
The school authorities, or the ID guys?

No and yes, in that order.

Too bad the ID guys were too slick for the mediocrities running the schools. See it's presented as a fairness question, and being a "liberal" doesn't imply an understanding of science.

How many horoscope-readers voted for Kerry, and so what?

In any case, the term "moral values" is so vague as to be meaningless. If the poll had been more specific, there would less talk now of "Jesusland". And weren't these the same exit polls that predicted a Kerry win?

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

I'm amazed they haven't tried to amend the Pennsylvania state constitution. I suppose that's next.

This case is a prime example of why separation of church and state is so important. Board members were asked by others if they were "born again", a direct attempt by government employees to intimidate others by means of religion in order to influence a government decision. This is wrong on that basis alone and the decision should be thrown out by the courts.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Vic Daring wrote:Yikes!!

Time to attend a school board meeting and demand that they teach the Invisible Pink Unicorn Theory.

Hey, it's a downright fraud to perpetrate on the students, to portray one theory over and over. What we want is a balanced presentation.

Plus, You can't be hypocritical with these kids, teaching them one thing but not another.

Might be fun to develop a brief IPU lesson plan.
They used the same strategy in Ohio: demand fairness and equality and a balanced education. It is a fallacy because the two theories are anything but equal and sets a precedent for any kookery to be taught on the basis of "equality and fairness". This precedent will allow for demands that religious literature be taught for the same reasons. The ongoing enshrinement of ignorance in education will result in a heavy price to be paid in terms of falling behind in technology, innovation, scientific research, and just plain intelligence. Stupid is as stupid does.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Still, many teachers will teach evolution and not creationism if they aren't closely monitered. They're usually well educated people, they know that it doesn't belong in school. I don't think a single one of my past biology teachers would teach creationism, even if they were supposed to.
You'll all be mine, in the end.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

In this economy? If they want to keep their jobs, they'll teach ID, because otherwise they'll be reported and sanctioned for violating the law. Don't think they won't be watched. There are plenty of people out there who have nothing better to do...or think there's nothing better to do.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

If the "higher power" is unspecified, there's no reason it can't be The Devil. It makes more sense that Satan designed life, given all the incredible fuckups (which could be deliberate!) as opposed to a perfect, all-loving God.

Yup. The DevilDiddit. The Gnostics believed that the Creator God was insane; Intelligent Design, and the general shittiness of life, proves it.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

As I pointed out on another thread, "intelligent design" does not imply perfection.

A non-omnipotent cosmic engineer would make engineering compromises, would use evolution at least some of the time, but put his hand in from time to time to create stuff like hornets. :P :D

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

It might seem as if the ID people have painted themselves into a corner with the issue of life's imperfections, but they do have the handy argument that imperfection was brought into the world by the sins of Adam and Eve. Before that, the design was flawless.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Pyrrho wrote:It might seem as if the ID people have painted themselves into a corner with the issue of life's imperfections, but they do have the handy argument that imperfection was brought into the world by the sins of Adam and Eve. Before that, the design was flawless.
Maybe they think that. But it won't fly in public school.

Somehow, this "theory" strikes me as much more ridiculous than believing Genesis and simply ignoring science, like some Orthodox Jews.

It strikes me that the ID types know only one thing about science, other than assorted factoids: that it is prestigious.
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marian

Post by Marian »

From an MSN article on it:
The revision was spearheaded by school board member William Buckingham, who heads the board’s curriculum committee.

“I think it’s a downright fraud to perpetrate on the students of this district, to portray one theory over and over,” said Buckingham. “What we wanted was a balanced presentation.”

Buckingham wanted the board to adopt an intelligent-design textbook, “Of Pandas and People: The Central Question of Biological Origins,” as a supplement to the traditional biology book, but no vote was ever taken. A few weeks before the new science curriculum was approved, 50 copies were anonymously donated to the high school.

Although Buckingham describes himself as a born-again Christian and believes in creationism, “This is not an attempt to impose my views on anyone else,” he said.
Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6470259/

:x

That just really pisses me off. Hopefully these cases will highlight the problem, and these whackjobs will get smacked down hard, and this crap tossed out of schools.
[size=75]<b><u>Trolls that I'm not feeding</u></b>
Jarod3, Kilik, Interesting Ian

<b><u>Also on ignore...</u></b>
jj[/size]

[url=http://www.elementsgraphics.net/index.php?id=eggs][img]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/o919a.gif[/img][/url]

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Don't bet on it. These whackjobs think they have a "mandate".
Plus Jeebus speaks to them regularly, just like He do to Bush.

Loon

Post by Loon »

How would you argue against ID? It seems like all we have is the argument from incredulity ("This is stupid"), since they'll ignore the evidence that evolution is actually happening. It seems almost unfalsifiable to me.
I guess there he chose to err on the side of more votes. -[size=75]Grammatron[/size]

Bottle or the Gun

Post by Bottle or the Gun »

One step fowards, two steps back. Pretty soon all women will have to have 'Goody' in front of their names again.
Tell the story about how God lost his breakfast cereal. Oh wait, that was the Trix rabbit. I get them confused because they are both made up - American Dad

NightG1

Post by NightG1 »

Quester_X wrote:Still, many teachers will teach evolution and not creationism if they aren't closely monitered. They're usually well educated people, they know that it doesn't belong in school. I don't think a single one of my past biology teachers would teach creationism, even if they were supposed to.
I had a physics prof in college - with a PhD and everything - who would have been happy with the events in PA. He was a big proponent of the "equal time" nonsense being peddled back in the 80's. Being well-educated is no antidote to magical thinking.

Denise

Post by Denise »

How is intelligent design taught? I can't see more than five minutes of class time needed. The teacher could stand up and say "Some people think God did it, and is doing it still." Then, "Let's move on to the theory of evolution, which doesn't address a diety either way, being a scientific theory."