Welcome to the new charter school, same as the old school

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Welcome to the new charter school, same as the old school

Post by Pyrrho »

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... es_wh.html
Hope Academy Broadway in Cleveland closed in June 2010, a year earlier than it would have to because of poor academics, because it could not find a sponsor.
Broadway Academy, operated by White Hat, opened in August 2011 in the same building with 11 former staffers.
Hope Academy Canton had to close in June 2010 when its sponsor did not renew its contract because of poor academics. It merged with Life Skills Center Canton for 2010-11 to become the White Hat-operated Brighten Heights Academy, staying in same building and keeping 21 staffers. Garfield Academy, operated by White Hat, opened in August 2011 in the same building and kept 28 staffers.
Hope Academy Cathedral in Cleveland was ordered to close in May 2011 because of poor academics. Woodland Academy, operated by White Hat, opened in August 2011 in the same building with 15 former staffers.
The independently operated Eagle Heights Academy in Youngstown was ordered to close in June 2010 because of poor academics.
Southside Academy, operated by White Hat, opened in August 2010 in the same building, keeping the same principal and 36 staffers.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Welcome to the new charter school, same as the old schoo

Post by Rob Lister »

I think I'm on record as being a big supporter--nay, a cheerleader--of the public school system.

I don't know what to think of the charter school systems. I don't think the term can be defined at anything other than a local basis. I don't trust it though. The above could be political confirmation basis but I doubt it.

I know that it is easy to find ridiculous examples of the public system. So too the charter system. I'll sit this one out because I'm done with that. My three kids went to school in the Virginia Beach public school system and it prepared them very well. Two are degreed. The third is half-way there.

There really is, still is, a great deal of competition among those with degrees in education. The pay isn't much but the supply is tremendous. I remain a supporter of it. Horror stories notwithstanding.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Welcome to the new charter school, same as the old schoo

Post by Pyrrho »

I think public schools would do just fine if politicians and their cronies would let go of it and let educators do their jobs without the interference and, in this case, privatization fucking things up on the taxpayer's dime.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.