More creationism nonsense

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
User avatar
Vic Daring
Posts: 3006
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Anvilania

More creationism nonsense

Post by Vic Daring »

This is deeply disturbing.

Americans want creationism
(CBS) Americans do not believe that humans evolved, and the vast majority says that even if they evolved, God guided the process. Just 13 percent say that God was not involved. But most would not substitute the teaching of creationism for the teaching of evolution in public
The numbers at the end are the most scary. 65-percent of all Americans favor teaching evolution and creation equally. 37-percent say get rid of evolution altogether.

Ack!!
Victim of the SBN (Search Button Nazis)

User avatar
Nigel
Posts: 7987
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:33 am
Location: Brinsby

Post by Nigel »

All I can really do is teach my kids properly. The other day, my six-year old asked where people came from. I tried to explain evolution as simply as possible, but she's still a little young to fully understand. But the building blocks are there.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

User avatar
Generalisimo
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:01 pm
Location: over the numbers

Post by Generalisimo »

Yikes!

Does the phrase "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" mean anything to these people?!?

:o
[size=75][i]"It's rude to talk about religion, you never know who you're gonna offend."[/i][/size]

User avatar
Nigel
Posts: 7987
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:33 am
Location: Brinsby

Post by Nigel »

Generalisimo wrote:Yikes!

Does the phrase "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" mean anything to these people?!?

:o
If it does, they don't care. And they won't, until it affects them.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

User avatar
Hexxenhammer
Posts: 3863
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: Minnesota

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Nigel wrote:
Generalisimo wrote:Yikes!

Does the phrase "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" mean anything to these people?!?

:o
If it does, they don't care. And they won't, until it affects them.
Hmm...maybe when this comes up here, which may be very soon according to NPR this morning, I'll demand the teaching of the Norse creation myth.

"Man was created by a giant who was licked from a glacier by a cow! I demand this be taught in school!"
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

bjornart
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:51 pm

Post by bjornart »

Hexxenhammer wrote:
Nigel wrote:
Generalisimo wrote:Yikes!

Does the phrase "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" mean anything to these people?!?

:o
If it does, they don't care. And they won't, until it affects them.
Hmm...maybe when this comes up here, which may be very soon according to NPR this morning, I'll demand the teaching of the Norse creation myth.

"Man was created by a giant who was licked from a glacier by a cow! I demand this be taught in school!"
Sheesh. You need to be thaught that in school. Man was not created by a giant who was licked from a glacier by a cow.

bjornart
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:51 pm

Post by bjornart »

Norse creation myth:

In the beginning there was the void called Ginnungagap. To the north of Ginnungagap was Niflheim, the land of fog and ice. To the south was Muspelheim, the land of fire.

In Niflheim there was a spring called Hvergelmir from which the Elivagar (eleven rivers - Svol, Gunnthra, Fiorm, Fimbulthul, Slidr, Hrid, Sylg, Ylg, Vid, Leiptr, and Gioll) flowed. Cause the north was bloody cold the Elivagar formed a glacier in the north part of the Ginnungagap, the front edge of which was melted by the heat from Muspelheim.

The two first living beings were formed by this melting, the giant Ymir and the cow Audhumla. Ymir drank cow's milk and had a body that could have sex with itself, or maybe not, but at least his armpit sweat turned into two frost giants, a male and female, and his legs somehow gave birth to another male frost giant.

Audhumla on the other hand fed by licking the ice and rocks of Niflheim, and eventually licked forth the first god. Bor. Bor, by unspecified means had a son named Buri, who, also by unspecified means, had the sons Odin, Vili and Ve.

And still there are no humans, or even our world!

Odin, Vili and Ve kill Ymir, probably because he was a sexual deviant, and turn him into a decent sized world. His blood drowns almost all the frost giants, and the three gods put Ymirs body in the Ginnungagap and makes the world and heavens from him.

And then, by accident, they stumble across two logs on the beach and create the two first humans from them.

User avatar
Cloverlief
Posts: 5025
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:59 pm
Location: Here, there or somewhere

Post by Cloverlief »

bjornart wrote:Norse creation myth:

In the beginning there was the void called Ginnungagap. To the north of Ginnungagap was Niflheim, the land of fog and ice. To the south was Muspelheim, the land of fire.

In Niflheim there was a spring called Hvergelmir from which the Elivagar (eleven rivers - Svol, Gunnthra, Fiorm, Fimbulthul, Slidr, Hrid, Sylg, Ylg, Vid, Leiptr, and Gioll) flowed. Cause the north was bloody cold the Elivagar formed a glacier in the north part of the Ginnungagap, the front edge of which was melted by the heat from Muspelheim.

The two first living beings were formed by this melting, the giant Ymir and the cow Audhumla. Ymir drank cow's milk and had a body that could have sex with itself, or maybe not, but at least his armpit sweat turned into two frost giants, a male and female, and his legs somehow gave birth to another male frost giant.

Audhumla on the other hand fed by licking the ice and rocks of Niflheim, and eventually licked forth the first god. Bor. Bor, by unspecified means had a son named Buri, who, also by unspecified means, had the sons Odin, Vili and Ve.

And still there are no humans, or even our world!

Odin, Vili and Ve kill Ymir, probably because he was a sexual deviant, and turn him into a decent sized world. His blood drowns almost all the frost giants, and the three gods put Ymirs body in the Ginnungagap and makes the world and heavens from him.

And then, by accident, they stumble across two logs on the beach and create the two first humans from them.
Hey, it's got violence, improbable procreation, giants, cows and gods! Who could ask for more in a creation story! I say we push this into our schools, so our kids understand how we came to be!!
Chani

User avatar
Bottle or the Gun
Posts: 1264
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:17 pm
Location: Maryland

Post by Bottle or the Gun »

65%. That's a lot of meds to be dispensed, a lot of bed space needed for all these deluded 5150's.
Tell the story about how God lost his breakfast cereal. Oh wait, that was the Trix rabbit. I get them confused because they are both made up - American Dad

User avatar
exarch
Posts: 897
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:51 pm
Location: Beyond redemption

Post by exarch »

Chanileslie wrote:
bjornart wrote:Norse creation myth:

In the beginning there was the void called Ginnungagap. To the north of Ginnungagap was Niflheim, the land of fog and ice. To the south was Muspelheim, the land of fire.

In Niflheim there was a spring called Hvergelmir from which the Elivagar (eleven rivers - Svol, Gunnthra, Fiorm, Fimbulthul, Slidr, Hrid, Sylg, Ylg, Vid, Leiptr, and Gioll) flowed. Cause the north was bloody cold the Elivagar formed a glacier in the north part of the Ginnungagap, the front edge of which was melted by the heat from Muspelheim.

The two first living beings were formed by this melting, the giant Ymir and the cow Audhumla. Ymir drank cow's milk and had a body that could have sex with itself, or maybe not, but at least his armpit sweat turned into two frost giants, a male and female, and his legs somehow gave birth to another male frost giant.

Audhumla on the other hand fed by licking the ice and rocks of Niflheim, and eventually licked forth the first god. Bor. Bor, by unspecified means had a son named Buri, who, also by unspecified means, had the sons Odin, Vili and Ve.

And still there are no humans, or even our world!

Odin, Vili and Ve kill Ymir, probably because he was a sexual deviant, and turn him into a decent sized world. His blood drowns almost all the frost giants, and the three gods put Ymirs body in the Ginnungagap and makes the world and heavens from him.

And then, by accident, they stumble across two logs on the beach and create the two first humans from them.
Hey, it's got violence, improbable procreation, giants, cows and gods! Who could ask for more in a creation story! I say we push this into our schools, so our kids understand how we came to be!!
Well, so far, it lacks a messiah, who died for our sins, yet we still get punished for our sins.
Oh, right, that's not part of creation. Never mind.
[size=75]Lord high emperor Skinny-god's first heir to the throne[/size]

User avatar
Cloverlief
Posts: 5025
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:59 pm
Location: Here, there or somewhere

Post by Cloverlief »

exarch wrote:
Chanileslie wrote:
bjornart wrote:Norse creation myth:

In the beginning there was the void called Ginnungagap. To the north of Ginnungagap was Niflheim, the land of fog and ice. To the south was Muspelheim, the land of fire.

In Niflheim there was a spring called Hvergelmir from which the Elivagar (eleven rivers - Svol, Gunnthra, Fiorm, Fimbulthul, Slidr, Hrid, Sylg, Ylg, Vid, Leiptr, and Gioll) flowed. Cause the north was bloody cold the Elivagar formed a glacier in the north part of the Ginnungagap, the front edge of which was melted by the heat from Muspelheim.

The two first living beings were formed by this melting, the giant Ymir and the cow Audhumla. Ymir drank cow's milk and had a body that could have sex with itself, or maybe not, but at least his armpit sweat turned into two frost giants, a male and female, and his legs somehow gave birth to another male frost giant.

Audhumla on the other hand fed by licking the ice and rocks of Niflheim, and eventually licked forth the first god. Bor. Bor, by unspecified means had a son named Buri, who, also by unspecified means, had the sons Odin, Vili and Ve.

And still there are no humans, or even our world!

Odin, Vili and Ve kill Ymir, probably because he was a sexual deviant, and turn him into a decent sized world. His blood drowns almost all the frost giants, and the three gods put Ymirs body in the Ginnungagap and makes the world and heavens from him.

And then, by accident, they stumble across two logs on the beach and create the two first humans from them.
Hey, it's got violence, improbable procreation, giants, cows and gods! Who could ask for more in a creation story! I say we push this into our schools, so our kids understand how we came to be!!
Well, so far, it lacks a messiah, who died for our sins, yet we still get punished for our sins.
Oh, right, that's not part of creation. Never mind.
Heck, Ymir died to create the world, isn't that enough for you? Huh? You always wanting more! Greedy bastard!! :P
Chani

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49027
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Title: God Emperor

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Generalisimo wrote:Yikes!

Does the phrase "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" mean anything to these people?!?

:o
No, unless that religion is one different from theirs.
“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”

Loon
Posts: 1593
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:25 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Loon »

Nigel wrote:
Generalisimo wrote:Yikes!

Does the phrase "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" mean anything to these people?!?

:o
If it does, they don't care. And they won't, until it affects them.
I think it's partly a case of people not realizing what religion is. It seems many think of "religion" as what you do in church. This is the same population that lets their religion expand WAY beyond the confines of the cathedral.

/massive generalization

I question the validity of the study, though I do that without knowing the design or the wording of the questions.

And lest us Kerry voters get snotty, 47% of us think god created people out of flour, milk, eggs & sugar. And 24% of us think that is all that should be taught in schools.
I guess there he chose to err on the side of more votes. -[size=75]Grammatron[/size]

User avatar
shemp
Posts: 6189
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:16 pm
Title: inbred shit-for-brains
Location: Planet X

Re: More creationism nonsense

Post by shemp »

Vic Daring wrote:This is deeply disturbing.

The numbers at the end are the most scary. 65-percent of all Americans favor teaching evolution and creation equally. 37-percent say get rid of evolution altogether.

Ack!!
What's even worse is that there are now 102% of Americans in this country! Too many people!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

ratbag
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:11 pm

Post by ratbag »

Nigel wrote:All I can really do is teach my kids properly. The other day, my six-year old asked where people came from. I tried to explain evolution as simply as possible, but she's still a little young to fully understand. But the building blocks are there.
"Last Tuesday my 6 yr old daughter came up to me and asked the big question "Daddy, where did I come from"
Phew! Luckily I had prepared, and had the 'birds and the bees' speech all ready. I sat her down and started; "mummies and daddies, when they love each other..."
After about an hour, I had told her all it all, and asked "so, honey, whats makes you curious about where you came from"
"Well daddy", she said "Jenny says that she came from Leeds, and Sunita says that she came from India!"
Rat

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 71660
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Post by Doctor X »

BWA!HA!HA!HA!HA!

Reminds me of the great:

"Grandpa! Will you make like a frog?"

"Why, honey?"

"'Cause Mum and Dad say we'll get a lot of money when you croak!"

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image