Values-based Education

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Values-based Education

Post by Pyrrho »

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindeal ... 237900.xml
"We really want to get students to unpackage their own perceptions, act on their values," said the dean. "If we're successful with this, there's going to be an awful lot more civility. People will be able to disagree respectfully."
Here's hoping...
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I wonder about the part where the "cultural baggage" of history and science seem to be equated.
I think that international replication of scientific experiments is one of the advantages science has over history.

Loon

Post by Loon »

Jeff wrote:I wonder about the part where the "cultural baggage" of history and science seem to be equated.
I think that international replication of scientific experiments is one of the advantages science has over history.
I think the point is that an individual scientist can be swayed by his background and so the opinion of a single scientist probably should not be the basis for the future of humanity. It's also a great way to show that the scientific process as a whole does a great job of stripping away that baggage when the results are replicated (or not...) by the rest of the scientific community.

At least, I hope that's the point...
I guess there he chose to err on the side of more votes. -[size=75]Grammatron[/size]

ThirdTwin

Post by ThirdTwin »

As far as teaching values, I think the Secular Humanist affirmations is the most non-baggage-laden place to start. I wish it was core-curriculum for all college students...

http://www.secularhumanism.org/intro/affirmations.html

-TT
It's official! :D Now, the [i]real[/i] fun starts in less than a month...