Micro-aggression on campus (UCLA)

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Micro-aggression on campus (UCLA)

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The latest news from the world micro-aggression:

Students defend professor after sit-in over racial climate
The Bruin (UCLA campus newspaper)
... In a letter sent to colleagues in the department after the sit-in, Rust said students in the demonstration described grammar and spelling corrections he made on their dissertation proposals as a form of "micro-aggression."

"I have attempted to be rather thorough on the papers and am particularly concerned that they do a good job with their bibliographies and citations, and these students apparently don't feel that is appropriate," Rust said in the letter.

Please note: This is graduate school.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Anaxagoras

Re: Micro-aggression on campus (UCLA)

Post by Anaxagoras »

He said the protesters were also responding to a conversation in class between two students about critical race theory that he allowed to take place by not stopping the discussion.
In case you are wondering what critical race theory is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory
Critical race theory (CRT) is an academic discipline focused upon the application of critical theory,[1][2] a critical examination of society and culture, to the intersection of race, law, and power.[1][2] According to the UCLA School of Public Affairs:

CRT recognizes that racism is engrained in the fabric and system of the American society. The individual racist need not exist to note that institutional racism is pervasive in the dominant culture. This is the analytical lens that CRT uses in examining existing power structures. CRT identifies that these power structures are based on white privilege and white supremacy, which perpetuates the marginalization of people of color.[3]
The movement is loosely unified by two common themes. First, CRT proposes that white supremacy and racial power are maintained over time, and in particular, that the law may play a role in this process. Second, CRT work has investigated the possibility of transforming the relationship between law and racial power, and more broadly, pursues a project of achieving racial emancipation and anti-subordination.[5]

Appearing in U.S. law schools in the mid- to late 1980s, critical race theory began as a reaction to critical legal studies.[6] Scholars like Derrick Bell applauded the focus of civil rights scholarship on race, but were deeply critical of civil rights scholars' commitment to colorblindness and their focus on intentional discrimination, rather than a broader focus on the conditions of racial inequality.[7][8] Likewise, scholars like Patricia Williams, Kimberlé Williams Crenshaw, and Mari Matsuda embraced the focus on the reproduction of hierarchy in critical legal studies, but criticized CLS scholars for failing to focus on racial domination and on the particular sources of racial oppression.[9]

By 2002, over 20 US law schools and at least 3 foreign law schools offered critical race theory courses or classes which covered the issue centrally.[10] Critical race theory is taught and innovated in the fields of education, political science, women's studies, ethnic studies, and American studies.[11]
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Reading the article and the responses by faculty and students, all I can say is that these folks live in a very different world than do I.

Here is the micro-aggressor in question
http://gseis.ucla.edu/people/rust
His bona fides quite the cover.

Still, spelling in bibliographies is a bitch. They're mostly names and your spell checker underlines practically everything. It is unfair to have to double check each and every one.<--snark

On the other hand, we only have the professor's word that this was the basis of the actual sit-in.
Rust, who is giving a series of lectures in China this week, could not be reached for additional comment.
So he conveniently ran off to China. Was that to avoid answering tough questions?<--snark
He said the protesters were also responding to a conversation in class between two students about critical race theory that he allowed to take place by not stopping the discussion.
Translation: Somebody critical of CRT got the upper hand in a debate and he didn't shut them down.

But seriously ...
I wasn't sure what Information Studies covered. Here's the abbreviated description from their webpage.
Graduate School of Education & Information Studies

Department Information

The Department of Information Studies is internationally recognized for its work in areas such as digital archives and libraries, multimedia databases, social implications of the Internet, organization of knowledge, and information policy.
That looks like a degree in Library Science with an emphasis on google. But social implications of the Internet? I admit there might be justification for that emphasis other than marketing the course.
Researchers focus on all kinds of environments where information is stored and retrieved, including the World Wide Web, public libraries, academic libraries, archives, museums, corporations, and schools. The department educates future librarians, archivists, scholars, researchers, and information professionals, focusing on system design and end-users of information and their needs and studying the ways people search for and use information.
It all sounds legit.
Both academic and professional programs prepare students to develop and apply knowledge that enhances the creation, access, preservation, and use of information in all forms and formats by individuals and institutions, always with an eye to promoting equity and access in a multicultural society.
What is the purpose of that? Does SQL have racist undertones? What about Dewey Decimal? Is this also just marketing the course or do we really need to keep an eye on equality in google searches?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Does SQL have racist undertones?
If proportionately fewer blacks are proficient with it?

Structural racism isn't about individual intentions after all.

It's a secular form of original sin.

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk »

Where are the Kent State military when we need them?

Kill 'em all.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

hammegk wrote:Where are the Kent State military when we need them?

Kill 'em all.
What you're not getting is that the micro-aggressive professor in question thought he was on their side.

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
hammegk wrote:Where are the Kent State military when we need them?

Kill 'em all.
What you're not getting is that the micro-aggressive professor in question thought he was on their side.
Kill 'em all anyway.

dipshit. :nutkick: