Dissing trigger warnings is the latest hot ticket

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Dissing trigger warnings is the latest hot ticket

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Even LIBBERULz are doing it now.

My Syllabus, With Trigger Warnings
Jonathan Zimmerman in The Chronicle of Higher Education
Jonathan Zimmerman is a professor of history and education at New York University.
This course will explore the main themes, trends, and dilemmas in the history of the United States. In accord with our college’s new policy on trigger warnings, I have affixed a cautionary note to each week’s topic. If the topic threatens to provoke feelings of trauma or panic in you, please inform me beforehand and I will excuse you from class. I’m looking forward to learning together in a safe environment!
  • I. Puritan New England: Fair warning to Quakers and Catholics: The Puritans sometimes cut off your ears and bored out your tongues, so skip this week if you don’t want to hear or talk about that. Ditto for practitioners of Wicca, who will surely be alarmed by the trials of their sister witches at Salem.
:lmao:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Re: Dissing trigger warnings is the latest hot ticket

Post by corplinx »

XV. Obama and Beyond: To those who imagined that utopia was just around the corner: Sorry! And for people who still think the president was born in Indonesia, this class will make you even more bat-crazy than you already are. At least you were warned.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Time to bowdlerize everything, especially History.

clarsct

Post by clarsct »

I am hesitant to ask...but what the merry hell is a "Trigger Warning"?

"Warning, a white horse is about to appear"?

That was the first thought in my head....what fresh hell is this?
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Commonly used in group therapy. Originally intended to warn people who have suffered from severe emotional problems, such as an anxiety disorder, that a given discussion is going to contain content that might cause a flashback or some other involuntary emotional reaction. For some people these reactions can be severe. Letting people know that difficult subjects are about to be discussed helps them to prepare for it and avoid or lessen the reaction. We are not talking about everyday discomfort. We are not talking about merely being offended. We are talking about serious, debilitating, involuntary emotional reactions, such as happens with PTSD.

Of late it has become fashionable in certain circles to, such as at the Atheism Plus forum and other establishments, to demand "trigger warnings" in advance of discussions. It does not surprise me that it has spread to academia.

Think of it as a sort of NSFW warning, although that is trivial in comparison.

I dunno. On the one hand I understand why some people may need such warnings. On the other hand I understand that there may also be a lot of people who will feel triggered no matter what, whether or not they have emotional disorders to manage. If the "triggered" response is "I have issues with that!" no, you haven't been "triggered." You're just whining. If the response is panic, hysteria, fury, a fetal position, or suicidal/homicidal thoughts, then you've been "triggered," so please see your psychologist or talk to your sponsor and go to a meeting.

The cool people will know what I mean.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx »

In "the real world" you can't be sheltered from hearing discussions about rape or violence. College is supposed to prepare you for "the real world".

If you can't deal, leave the class. Don't expect a passing grade. You had something bad happen to you, we feel for you. We can't create a world in which you are never reminded of it.

If you have actual diagnosed PTSD, then you can go to all of your professors and inform them of it and they will let you know ahead of time if something might trigger it. If you are just a whiny pussy though, stop filling out these petitions for trigger warnings.

Witness

Post by Witness »

i wonder if it's not just (or also) a move to avoid getting sued by some asshole: "Our Poor ChildTM has been awfully emotionally disturbed by your horrid subject, you should have let him opt out"?

clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Thanks.

Hmmmm.
I can see it in a therapy group. I mean, if someone has crippling PTSD and you're going to talk about wartime experiences..well...it would be good to warn them so they don't freak out and hurt themselves/someone else.

On an internet forum..pure rubbish. If you're someone who has issues..well...recovering alcoholics don't go into bars a whole lot, either. You clicked on the topic, after all.

In academia, I would expect these things to be sarcastic. If a school actually required such, I would think they are pandering to emotional outbursts and perhaps the school's programs aren't good enough to attract responsible people.

In other words, times and places.

I doubt I would be joining the Atheism Plus forum. Seriously?
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Here is my syllabus and reading list.

If you do not like it, get the fuck out.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Harikrish
BANNED

Post by Harikrish »

American history is so full of disgusting facts that it is excused from being taught in public schools. Is there any wonder why Americans have no sense of purpose and cling on to every patriotic idea uttered by their politicians. What is even more offensive than the history of their past is their ignorance of it.
Apparently U.S. students are unfamiliar with the famous paraphrased aphorism, “Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”
http://townhall.com/columnists/danieldo ... /page/full

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

My Bitch Justine getting his ass raped again?

BWA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Harikrish
BANNED

Post by Harikrish »

Doctor X wrote:My Bitch Justine getting his ass raped again?

--J.D.
You are condemned to a sub-human existence, to repeat with consistency the cycle of rebirths samsara. Your stutter will continue into your next life and beyond and your IQ will remain below 50 in perpetuity.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

My Bitch Justine getting his ass raped again?

--J.D.

Harikrish
BANNED

Post by Harikrish »

After Bush W there is little that can shock or shame the American people. America has lost its moral standing, financial clout and military effectiveness to dictate international policy. The only thing left for Americans is to cling to their guns and religion. It is so true even if Obama was the one to first say it.

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Could we get a button like this
NSFW:
except that it says "Trigger Warning" then we could explain the repulsive stuff to follow?
About that stereo

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hey, ed's back!

Harikrish
BANNED

Post by Harikrish »

Witness wrote:Hey, ed's back!
I can sense your excitement from seeing Ed. But I cannot see a reason for it.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

And I ass-rape My Bitch justine again!

He seems to enjoy it a lot!

BWA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!

--J.D.

Harikrish
BANNED

Post by Harikrish »

Witness wrote:i wonder if it's not just (or also) a move to avoid getting sued by some asshole: "Our Poor ChildTM has been awfully emotionally disturbed by your horrid subject, you should have let him opt out"?
That is so true. Americans like to put a warning label on everything to avoid getting sued.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

And I ass-rape My Bitch justine again!

He seems to enjoy it a lot!

BWA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!

--J.D.