About books.

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?

About books.

Post by Guest »

I have a book titled "Cameos of Literature - From Standard Authors". My copy was printed in the year 1894.
Inside the front page is a quote that someone wrote in 1900.This quote is one of my favourites.

Palmer says- "There is nothing like books. Befall pleasures the least palling, they take up little room, keep quiet when they are not wanted, and, when taken up, bring us face to face with the choicest men who have ever lived, at their choicest moments.

I agree.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I'm reminded of the court-martial episode of ST:TOS when Kirk is on trial, and Samuel T. Cogley (Elisha Cook, Jr.) said simply....and with great enthusiasm..."Books, young man! Books!"
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

Denise

Re: About books.

Post by Denise »

watchtower wrote:I have a book titled "Cameos of Literature - From Standard Authors". My copy was printed in the year 1894.
Inside the front page is a quote that someone wrote in 1900.This quote is one of my favourites.

Palmer says- "There is nothing like books. Befall pleasures the least palling, they take up little room, keep quiet when they are not wanted, and, when taken up, bring us face to face with the choicest men who have ever lived, at their choicest moments.

I agree.
How can there be a quote written in 1900 in a book printed in 1894?

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I thought that at first, but then realized that someone wrote that in the front after the book was published.

Post by Guest »

There are written quotes of Chas Kingsley and Channing in the front of the book too.

Chas Kingsley says-"Except a living man there is nothing more wonderful than a book- a message to us from the dead- from human souls whom we never saw".

Channing says-"It is chiefly thro' books that we enjoy intercourse with superior minds".

In my experience, reading and understanding books are no longer a priority in the education system-mainly due to technology. I do think we will return to the basics.

"Bring it on!" I say.