Ask a bill collector

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Hexxenhammer

Ask a bill collector

Post by Hexxenhammer »

I did this over at Renata's World, and thought I'd do it over here too.

I work in the collection industry, and don't mind answering questions about this rather unpleasant industry.

If you've ever had a question about collections before, ask away.
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Why do you hate people?

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Because we're collectors. It's a whole circular logic thing.

Next question.

Nyarlathotep
Title: God Emperor

Post by Nyarlathotep »

If I shoot a bill collector, what is the best way to dispose of the body? Chani suggests dissolving it in fuming Hydrochloric acid, but I think throwing it down an abandoned mineshaft is better. What say you? :P
“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Ok serious questions

At what point after the person dodges you or refuses to respond do you pursue action such as lowering the credit score and such. And does the amount that is owed matter? Say if you owe $30.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Nyarlathotep wrote:If I shoot a bill collector, what is the best way to dispose of the body? Chani suggests dissolving it in fuming Hydrochloric acid, but I think throwing it down an abandoned mineshaft is better. What say you? :P
As an evil one, I can tell you that one can't go wrong with multiple methods.

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Nyarlathotep wrote:If I shoot a bill collector, what is the best way to dispose of the body? Chani suggests dissolving it in fuming Hydrochloric acid, but I think throwing it down an abandoned mineshaft is better. What say you? :P
Hydrochoric acid isn't very strong and may take a long time for the body to dissolve. Use concentrated sulfuric, or aqua regia (1:3 nitric acid:HCl). It's more fun if you don't kill them first, but be sure to wear the necessary protective gear. :wink:
Such potential!

Nyarlathotep
Title: God Emperor

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Bruce wrote:
Hydrochoric acid isn't very strong and may take a long time for the body to dissolve. Use concentrated sulfuric, or aqua regia (1:3 nitric acid:HCl). It's more fun if you don't kill them first, but be sure to wear the necessary protective gear. :wink:
Maybe it was sulfuric acid she reccomended, now that I think about it.

But I'm still for the 'abandoned mineshaft' method. It's much cheaper...........and no toxic chemicals, just all natural gravity :P
“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I worked closely with collectors for the last 3 1/2 years. You can't dissolve them in acid - they're not human. :D

At what point after the person dodges you or refuses to respond do you pursue action such as lowering the credit score and such. And does the amount that is owed matter? Say if you owe $30.
With my (old) company, it was 90 days we'd send a letter, 120 days a call, 150 days third party (we were soft collections, the third party was hard stuff - threatening legal action, liens, that sort of thing). And the amount didn't really matter. As long as it was worth collecting (we wanted money to come in, not go out, or be written off. That's part of the reason I was laid off - I did refunds, so I sent money out, not brought it in.) Hex's collecting experience may be of the "hard" variety.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Re: Ask a bill collector

Post by Bearguin »

Hexxenhammer wrote: If you've ever had a question about collections before, ask away.
Yeah. Will you stop phoning me!!!!!

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Yes, I work for a 3rd party agency, a really big one. Which means we have many, many clients. What we can do totally depends on them. On some we can report debtors to the credit bureau, on some we can't.

I work in credit card collections. For us, the client is already listed on a person's CBR, we, as the agency, don't generally report anything extra.

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

And you can only kill us with paper cuts from our own letters.

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Bearguin wrote:
Hexxenhammer wrote: If you've ever had a question about collections before, ask away.
If you write us a letter saying so. And are an american.

You're canadian, so you're fucked.

Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Post by Bearguin »

Hexxenhammer wrote:
Bearguin wrote:
If you write us a letter saying so. And are an american.

You're canadian, so you're fucked.
Friggin 'mericans. Screwing us over again.

jkorosi

Post by jkorosi »

If a collectee informs the agency that he or she is indigent, what actions does the collection agency then take?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

So what is you day-to-day job? Calling people on the phone telling them to pay their bills? Or do you do stuff like repossess cars and throw widows and orphans out of their houses?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Or do you do stuff like repossess cars and throw widows and orphans out of their houses?
Sounds like fun. Where do I apply?
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

RCC

Post by RCC »

shemp wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Or do you do stuff like repossess cars and throw widows and orphans out of their houses?
Sounds like fun. Where do I apply?
Your local Republican Party office...

8)

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

jkorosi wrote:If a collectee informs the agency that he or she is indigent, what actions does the collection agency then take?
Not having money is generally not an excuse that a collection agency takes seriously. Not in credit card collections anyway. The customer was able to get the card at some point obviously.

If someone truly has no means to pay, the best thing a person can do is get the agency off their back, because to a collector, you're just a phone number and balance on their computer screen.

So, ask the collector what you need to do to cease collection activity. This usually means writing or faxing them a letter saying you want no calls or letters to such and such a phone number and address. If they call you after that, they're breaking the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act).

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Wait, so I can ask them to stop bugging me and they do it even if I owe money? Am I missing something here?