Animal Cruelty or Not?

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Animal Cruelty or Not?

Post by Pyrrho »

Student buys and cooks rabbit for life skills class
The boy, whose named was not released, butchered the Guinea pig and rabbit after buying the animals from Pet Supplies Plus in Chardon. He told school officials that he went to the store after failing to catch a rabbit during a weekend hunt. He slaughtered the animals before bringing them into school Jan. 19.

The teen's living skills teacher, Diana Stevens, sets aside one day a quarter for students to prepare a meal of their choice. The boy had asked Stevens if he could bring in a wild rabbit to cook and share with his classmates. Stevens approved, provided that the carcass would be dressed, or gutted, and ready to cook.

The teen left the furry coats on the animals, however. Stevens allowed him to skin the carcasses in class and go ahead with his planned dish. Several students left the room. Others watched the demonstration and later sampled the meat.
So, it would have been okay if he'd hunted the rabbit, but it's not okay because he bought the animals at a pet store...when I was a kid, you could still buy live ducks and chickens at the corner store. Those weren't pets, they were for cooking. Buying the rabbit at the store may have prevented risk of contracting tularemia from a wild rabbit. They might want to consider that...

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

I'm big on animal rights, but...
I don't really see anything legally or ethically wrong here, as long as he killed it humanely. Yeah, it seems a bit weird, and disturbing, but that doesn't make it wrong. I suspect the reason so many people objected is that most people get their meat from a store, where it has already been killed. The prospect of killing your own game seems alien to most people, although that used to be the only way to do it!
But he ate a Guinea pig? I was not aware people ate those.
You'll all be mine, in the end.

Mulebear

Post by Mulebear »

Quester_X wrote:
But he ate a Guinea pig? I was not aware people ate those.
Guinea Pig is a popular dish in Peru.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/tv_and_radio/50eats35.shtml (See item #32.)
I [img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/mulebear/smilies/heart_icon.jpg[/img] Sonoma Bear

Recently someone accused me of being insensitive. And I thought, how did this fat bitch get her wheelchair up the stairs to my house?

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

You learn something new everyday.
Although you may not want to. :lol:
You'll all be mine, in the end.

Smike

Post by Smike »

He probably learned something about biology as well. Sounds good to me!
[size=84]My other brain is also a rocket scientist

The early bird catches the worm ... but the early worm gets eaten.[/size]

gnome

Post by gnome »

Are there some animals you skin after cooking? I'm not familiar with such matters...

I think for it to be considered animal cruelty the animal has to suffer...

I don't consider hunting (or acquiring) animals to eat as a bad thing... as long as it is done humanely, and with due respect to sanitary concerns.

CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

gnome wrote:Are there some animals you skin after cooking? I'm not familiar with such matters...
Hedgehogs for one.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Small children. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

bjornart

Post by bjornart »

Pigs, birds, fish. Plenty of critters you either skin after cooking or you eat the skin.

MLynn

Post by MLynn »

I see the value of animals as pets and as food. I think it's a good learning experience for the kids - that food doesn't always "grow on trees" and that it can be a messy business.
Obey the zombie whippet or she will eat your brain
I for one welcome our zombie Christian overlord - Philip

Mulebear

Post by Mulebear »

Field Dressing Your Whippet

Field dressing your whippet is not all that hard, but it is the most important step to good whippet meat. Just roll up your sleeves and go to it. The important things are to keep the carcass clean and to cool the meat quickly as possible. Bleeding or cutting the whippet's neck is not necessary as blood removal is accomplished by field dressing. After you have field dressed a few whippets on your own, you will develop your own style and technique.

The First Cut
Place the whippet on its back. Starting at the anus, cut through the skin and body wall along the center line. The center line extends along the underside of the whippet from the anus to the center of the diaphragm. Use your fingers to guide the knife and keep the blade away from the stomach and intestines, a cut into them is pretty messy. Make the first cut by keeping the knife at a low angle and cutting only deep enough to slice through the skin...

Sorry, MLynn. I couldn't resist.
I [img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/mulebear/smilies/heart_icon.jpg[/img] Sonoma Bear

Recently someone accused me of being insensitive. And I thought, how did this fat bitch get her wheelchair up the stairs to my house?

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

scarlet_35 wrote:ewwww I would have been one of the students who left the room, how could someone eat my Binny :( (our guinea pigs name) I still wouldn't have been a parent calling up and complaining about it, people do eat rabbits and apparently Binny' as well :( :( its a little gross that he didn't take the fur off before hand though.

and Pyrhho as far as I know you can still get live chicken, ducks or turkeys at the west side market. Not sure if you can take it home and kill it yourself or not? I don't see why not. There is also some Chinese place downtown some where, where you can get turtles and various other things to cook up.

"yes I'll take some turtle soup, with some frog legs on the side and for the main course, how about some Rabbit stuffed with guninea pig, yummmmm" :D
Yeah, I've been to that oriental market, it's little known to people outside the area called "chinatown" in Cleveland. Pick out yer own live eels, folks...

Haven't been to the West Side Market in decades. Most overrated shopping experience in Cleveland, quaintly nestled in one of the worst neighborhoods in the city. But a major tourist attraction, nonetheless.

Badger

Post by Badger »

Mulebear wrote:Field Dressing Your Whippet

Field dressing your whippet is not all that hard, but it is the most important step to good whippet meat. Just roll up your sleeves and go to it. The important things are to keep the carcass clean and to cool the meat quickly as possible. Bleeding or cutting the whippet's neck is not necessary as blood removal is accomplished by field dressing. After you have field dressed a few whippets on your own, you will develop your own style and technique.

The First Cut
Place the whippet on its back. Starting at the anus, cut through the skin and body wall along the center line. The center line extends along the underside of the whippet from the anus to the center of the diaphragm. Use your fingers to guide the knife and keep the blade away from the stomach and intestines, a cut into them is pretty messy. Make the first cut by keeping the knife at a low angle and cutting only deep enough to slice through the skin...

Sorry, MLynn. I couldn't resist.
This seems like the hard way to do it. I usually start underneath the ribcage, at the "V".
Nineteen tequilas later, we had a deal.
You are my density. (G. McFly)
As my daddy always said, always check the fine print for penectomies. (punchdrunk)
Opinions aren't like assholes, because I don't know anyone with a million assholes.
Bettie Page set the standard for fetish models. (selwynator12/5/2008 5:34:37 PM)
Rugby players eat their dead.

Sentzeu

Post by Sentzeu »

Wow that is class I wouldn't wanna miss :o

State of Grace

Post by State of Grace »

Could not his parents or even the child brought a rabbit from a store already prepared?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/stateofgrace/antibullying%20campaign/1526563e.jpg[/img]

CHARLEY_BIGTIME

State of Grace wrote:Could not his parents or even the child brought a rabbit from a store already prepared?
It was a life skills class.

State of Grace

Post by State of Grace »

CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:
State of Grace wrote:Could not his parents or even the child brought a rabbit from a store already prepared?
It was a life skills class.
Even so one that had already been culled? Did anybody bring in a live cow or pig etc and do what this boy did?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/stateofgrace/antibullying%20campaign/1526563e.jpg[/img]

CHARLEY_BIGTIME

State of Grace wrote: Even so one that had already been culled? Did anybody bring in a live cow or pig etc and do what this boy did?
Embrace the gift of common sense.

State of Grace

Post by State of Grace »

CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:
State of Grace wrote: Even so one that had already been culled? Did anybody bring in a live cow or pig etc and do what this boy did?
Embrace the gift of common sense.
No thank you I might catch something :P