How?

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
User avatar
gnome
Posts: 25232
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Re: How?

Post by gnome »

ed wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:39 pm I think your AGW thread was good, turgid and stultifying, but good.

Thing is I don't care so I didn't read it all. And if you don't take a position of some sort, it leaves an audience, at the end, smiling unsurely and saying oooooooookkkkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Like waddaya want from me? What is there to discuss? Even if I cared, what am I going to write about? Ancient carbon levels? Really?
Here is a fact: the Ruger .204 shoots so flat that I can shoot it thru a 100 yard long pvc pipe and not hit the walls.

Do you know what that would do to a fag climatologist? Contemplate that for a moment.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
An example of provocative posting
You are welcome.
:lol:
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
User avatar
ed
Posts: 40113
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: G_D

Re: How?

Post by ed »

robinson wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:06 am If the earth was actually flat, no matter how high the velocity of a bullet, it would simply fall and hit at the same time as any other bullet, moving or not.

That Physics.

But the earth is not actually flat.

Which is why something can reach "orbital velocity", which means even though it's falling (just like a bullet), it never hits, because the earth isn't flat.

Low earth orbit this is 17,500 miles per hour.

While a 14.5×114mm round fired flat won't even come close to orbit, it does travel far enough that the curve of the earth means it hits slightly later than a bullet just dropped from the same height.

Most people absolutely don't care about this at all. Those that do will now argue why I am wrong.
You are right and it happens in every case, not just when some "mystical velocity" is reached (Vm).

The reason is that, because of the curvature of the earth, the ground falls away, as it were, the further from the muzzle the bullet travels.
So while the bullet dropped from your sweaty, inconsequential fingers, covers a distance D, the fired bullet travels D + x, where x is the deviation of the earth's surface from a tangent line (plus height of the muzzle) at the point of firing.

Good show, Robinson. Your ignorance (not meant in the least way as a pejorative) has advanced the understanding of all, and perhaps won a few bar bets.

Any mention of the lack of spherality of the earth or of local geophysical deviations will be rewarded with a hefty sac-kick, thus :De_Bunk:
This space for let
User avatar
robinson
Posts: 12259
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: How?

Post by robinson »

Just so ya know, usually any ignorance on my part is feigned
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
User avatar
robinson
Posts: 12259
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: How?

Post by robinson »

Seriously

Nobody likes a really smart person
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
User avatar
ed
Posts: 40113
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: G_D

Re: How?

Post by ed »

robinson wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:05 pm Just so ya know, usually any ignorance on my part is feigned
But everything you say is a lie.

I am so confused.
This space for let
User avatar
robinson
Posts: 12259
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: How?

Post by robinson »

No you are not
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
User avatar
robinson
Posts: 12259
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: How?

Post by robinson »

Arguing/discussing shit on the internet is almost always a huge waste of time

But, sometimes I learn some me things new and valuable from “the enemy”

Especially when it’s a subject I don’t know much about

Most people won’t lift a finger to help you out online, but goddamn, if you are appearing to challenge their pet belief, or worse, something they are an expert in, they will move heaven and earth to prove you are wrong
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
User avatar
robinson
Posts: 12259
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: How?

Post by robinson »

Many people don’t even know how to do an analysis of facts to form a judgment.

They simply never were taught how. The rational, skeptical, unbiased analysis, or evaluation of factual evidence isn’t even a thing to them. The very idea of self-directed, self-disciplined, self-monitored, and self-corrective thinking just doesn’t exist. Much less rigorous standards of excellence and mindful command of one’s own thinking. Even if one does consider it important, as valuable, using effective communication and problem-solving abilities as well as a commitment to overcome native egocentrism and sociocentrism isn’t something one just acquired by chance.

Hell, if anybody actually reads that above, it probably sounds like nonsense to them
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
User avatar
gnome
Posts: 25232
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Re: How?

Post by gnome »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:39 pm Um OK.

Who are you addressing?
That cartoon stereotype Indian over there?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
User avatar
gnome
Posts: 25232
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Re: How?

Post by gnome »

robinson wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:18 pm Arguing/discussing shit on the internet is almost always a huge waste of time

But, sometimes I learn some me things new and valuable from “the enemy”

Especially when it’s a subject I don’t know much about

Most people won’t lift a finger to help you out online, but goddamn, if you are appearing to challenge their pet belief, or worse, something they are an expert in, they will move heaven and earth to prove you are wrong
So can I take this as an admission that you're full of crap when you argue? It would save me a lot of time. Or perhaps you could signal when you're trying to be serious.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2