Scopes again

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Bottle or the Gun

Scopes again

Post by Bottle or the Gun »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7711574/
Eighty years after a famed courtroom battle in Tennessee pitted religious beliefs about the origins of life against the theories of British scientist Charles Darwin, Kansas is holding its own hearings on what school children should be taught about how life on Earth began.

And more
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7013405/
St. Helens used in drive to prove biblical creation with science
Tell the story about how God lost his breakfast cereal. Oh wait, that was the Trix rabbit. I get them confused because they are both made up - American Dad

Marian

Post by Marian »

My favorite (before I became too pissed to continue reading the article) was a quote from the opening debates in Kansas on this issue where the proponent for creationism ranted:
"School science classes are teaching children that life evolved naturally and randomly, Harris said, arguing that this was in conflict with Biblical teachings that God created life.

"They are offering an answer that may be in conflict with religious views," Harris said in opening the debate. "Part of our overall goal is to remove the bias against religion that is currently in schools. This is a scientific controversy that has powerful religious implications."
So, you can no longer teach anything about the Sun...someone may still believe that it's Apollo driving the chariot through the skies.

Oh of course they're talking only about their religious views.

:x
[size=75]<b><u>Trolls that I'm not feeding</u></b>
Jarod3, Kilik, Interesting Ian

<b><u>Also on ignore...</u></b>
jj[/size]

[url=http://www.elementsgraphics.net/index.php?id=eggs][img]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/o919a.gif[/img][/url]

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

...Apollo driving the chariot through the skies.
Not Apollo, although he was later considered to be the god of the sun. The sun's chariot was driven by a Titan, Helios, one of the original gods. He and a few other Titans such as Oceanus and Prometheus were allowed to stay free since they either sided with the Olympians or stayed out of the conflict.

Sorry, mythology nerd. Your original point is a very good one. These people are so blind...
You'll all be mine, in the end.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Not really comparable to Scopes. It's 100% legal to teach evolution, and it will be taught (sort of).

The question is whether the public schools will also teach creation.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Cletus A.A.

Post by Cletus A.A. »

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Not really comparable to Scopes. It's 100% legal to teach evolution, and it will be taught (sort of).
Not for long if these assholes get their way.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Not really comparable to Scopes. It's 100% legal to teach evolution, and it will be taught (sort of).
The real problem is that the public schools don't even teach reading very well. If they can't read, it doesn't matter if they "believe" in evolution (in this context, really Flintstonism).

Making the teaching of evolution as such illegal is very unlikely, I would say.

What Jean Shepherd called "creeping meatballism" tends to make it all irrelevant. :x

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
The real problem is that the public schools don't even teach reading very well. If they can't read, it doesn't matter if they "believe" in evolution (in this context, really Flintstonism).

Making the teaching of evolution as such illegal is very unlikely, I would say.

What Jean Shepherd called "creeping meatballism" tends to make it all irrelevant. :x
Maybe so about the reading part, but these asswipes don't particularly care if Johnny can read either, as long as he can unquestioningly accept whatever interpretation of the Bible his religious leaders choose to give him. Knowing how to read would just encourage him to read the damn thing himself and ask embarassing questions. Questions are bad, you know.

As for the likelyhood of making the teaching of evolution illegal, 1/3 of the populace would like to do jus that, as of last year. Yes, it's a minority, but it's a sizable one, too sizable to be considered just a handful of lunatic fringe nutters. It's enough to make such a scenario all too plausible, imo.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Marian wrote:So, you can no longer teach anything about the Sun...someone may still believe that it's Apollo driving the chariot through the skies.
Heretic!! It is Helios who drives the chariot!!!

As for reading, one of the worse things a "person of faith" can do is read the Bible.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Maybe so about the reading part, but these asswipes don't particularly care if Johnny can read either, as long as he can unquestioningly accept whatever interpretation of the Bible his religious leaders choose to give him. Knowing how to read would just encourage him to read the damn thing himself and ask embarassing questions. Questions are bad, you know.
This is exactly right. It's easier to wise them up if they can read.

Or rather if they are inclined to read, even if they can read well enough to get through official forms and the like.

But the non-reading problem exists in "liberal" places as well.

There is something systemically wrong with USA public schools that goes beyond the usual puke versus rat, and attendant controversies.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:Maybe so about the reading part, but these asswipes don't particularly care if Johnny can read either, as long as he can unquestioningly accept whatever interpretation of the Bible his religious leaders choose to give him. Knowing how to read would just encourage him to read the damn thing himself and ask embarassing questions. Questions are bad, you know.
This is exactly right. It's easier to wise them up if they can read.

Or rather if they are inclined to read, even if they can read well enough to get through official forms and the like.

But the non-reading problem exists in "liberal" places as well.

There is something systemically wrong with USA public schools that goes beyond the usual puke versus rat, and attendant controversies.
I won't argue that point with you, but the problems of the schools not adequately teaching them the things they SHOULD be teaching them and the problem of the schools teaching them bullshit and telling them it's science are really two seperate things. And the first does not excuse the second

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Once again, I think that every highschool student should be able to accurately describe what the TOE is, what the major evidence for it is, and how well and thoroughly it is unquestionably confirmed, before they can graduate.

I didn't say they had to believe it, but they must be able to explain the overwhelming evidence. Denying the overwhelming evidence should be grounds for no diploma.
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.

Andonyx

Post by Andonyx »

jj wrote:Once again, I think that every highschool student should be able to accurately describe what the TOE is, what the major evidence for it is, and how well and thoroughly it is unquestionably confirmed, before they can graduate.

I didn't say they had to believe it, but they must be able to explain the overwhelming evidence. Denying the overwhelming evidence should be grounds for no diploma.
1. A bony filled protuberance at the end of most mammalian locomotive appendages.

2. I have ten and so does almost everyone I know.

3. After Vatican two it was decided Adam and Eve could both be drawn with them showing. Even Catholics now support the TOE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have a strict no smiley policy. If you are trying to decide wether or not to be offended or amused by something I said, save yourself some frustration and go for the latter.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

jj wrote:Once again, I think that every highschool student should be able to accurately describe what the TOE is ...
A great idea. Even if they reject it, it should be on a higher level than saying "You said my grampa is a monkey".

Even the Orthodox Jews with their "Adam had a navel and a beard" stuff are more acceptible than the Christian fundies. At least the Jews don't claim it's science, nor organize to change the public school curriculum.