And you thought some teachers in the US were bad...

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Azraphael

And you thought some teachers in the US were bad...

Post by Azraphael »

Just came across this short news bite:

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Strange_But ... 1/page.asp

It's short, so I'll quote the whole thing:
This story is strange, disturbing and true. A school principal in Japan has publicly admitted that a teacher made a teenage student write out an apology in blood after nodding off in class. The teacher has since given his own, less violent apology to the 17-year-old and his family, after going to principal Hiroaki Dan and confessing to his frightening punishment. The pupil was apparently taken to the staff room after falling asleep in class, given a box-cutter, a piece of paper and told to write up his apology. And that is exactly what the boy did after cutting his finger. The teen hasn’t asked for a different teacher though, and the educator is expected to be back in class soon.
Anyone other than me find the statement 'the educator is expected to be back in class soon' to be particularly disturbing?

~Azraphael
[i]Knowledge is just opinion you trust enough to act upon.[/i]

rwald

Post by rwald »

Shit. If my high-school teachers did that, I'd be a hemophiliac.
For the record, I don't actually know anything. Not even this.

Ever wondered what being a Caltech undergrad was like?
[url=http://caltizzle.caltech.edu]caltizzle.caltech.edu[/url]

LostAngeles

Post by LostAngeles »

rwald wrote:Shit. If my high-school teachers did that, I'd be a hemophiliac.
Shit, I'd have been dead by sophomore year.

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

What happens if they get caught cheating? Seppuku? Hari-kari?
"Moshi moshi, Sensaiaaargh!"

latinijral

Post by latinijral »

I like to wath the TV program "Who wants to be supermillionaire"

I remember a teacher that won $ 500000 but he never knew the answers of questions of threads with no relation with USA.

WHen I was a kid I went for a day to the school of my cousin.

I remember the teacher had not idea about Southamerica when she introduce me to the class.

My conclution is that the USA education is only worry to teach about USA and not give a general culture about the world.
I love you all !!!
Pure skeptic

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

latinijral wrote:I like to wath the TV program "Who wants to be supermillionaire"

I remember a teacher that won $ 500000 but he never knew the answers of questions of threads with no relation with USA.

I remember the teacher had not idea about Southamerica when she introduce me to the class.

My conclution is that the USA education is only worry to teach about USA and not give a general culture about the world.
My conclusions are that:
1. You watch silly TV shows that prove nothing.
2. You come to conclusions based on little data.
3. You know little about the range of the subjects taught in the US.
Here is a question for you.
Why do people from all over the world strive to come here to get an education?

MRC_Hans

Post by MRC_Hans »

Jeff wrote:
latinijral wrote:I like to wath the TV program "Who wants to be supermillionaire"

My conclusions are that:
4. If education is better where you come from, how come your English is so bad?

Hans
[i]Fly pretty, anyone can fly safe...[/i]

CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

MRC_Hans wrote: 4. If education is better where you come from, how come your English is so bad?

Hans
Not the best conclusion to come to in my opinion.

His English is much, much better than my Danish. My/his inability to speak a certain foreign language fluently is not necessarily indicative of a poor education.

latinijral

Post by latinijral »

Jeff wrote:

My conclusions are that:
Relax Jeff
I was on my school`s vacation and my family travel to California...I met Disneyland, but also I went only for a day to this American School.
1,. That "silly" program sometimes shows in some questions the culture of a kind of persons.,...in this case a teacher.
2.- You are OK....but I also have some american friends that give the same commnet that their education is egocentrist.(egocentrista).
3.- You are OK....but I don`t see the problem.
I love you all !!!
Pure skeptic

MRC_Hans

Post by MRC_Hans »

CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:
MRC_Hans wrote: 4. If education is better where you come from, how come your English is so bad?

Hans
Not the best conclusion to come to in my opinion.

His English is much, much better than my Danish. My/his inability to speak a certain foreign language fluently is not necessarily indicative of a poor education.
Uhh, except that Danish is an obscure language that only a few millions speak, and thus totally uninteresting to most of the world, whereas English is the leading international language, and sort of a must if you want to participate on an English forum.

But I do concede that it was an ad hominem. Any exchange with latinijral rarely rises above ad hominem level. So I ought to simply stay out, and usually do, but it is human occasionally to fall for temptation :roll:.

Hans
[i]Fly pretty, anyone can fly safe...[/i]

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I was an exchange student in USA in 1969.
!0 th grade high school. Long Island , New York.

When students or teachers asked me where did I come from , I responded from Ecuador.

Most of them said after that : "Wow, from Africa !"

A few of them asked me : "where is Ecuador "

Some of them : "it is not supposed to be the "line" that divides the hemispheres?

My response : Ecuador is in South America. In your same continent. Let me show you where is it....let's look to the map.

----------Ohhhh , there?

And why you are dressing that way?
It is not supposed to be primitive indians living there ?
How come you speak english?
Tell us more please !!!!!!!

-----ehhhh , well ...........

Thanks,
Carlos

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

My response : Ecuador is in South America. In your same continent. Let me show you where is it....let's look to the map.
Just want to point out that North and South America are seperate continents, although they share a land connection.
You'll all be mine, in the end.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Quester_X wrote:
Just want to point out that North and South America are seperate continents, although they share a land connection.
I want to point out that the name of the continent is America.

It is geographically(..) divided is 3 zones : North , Central and South.

Thanks,
Carlos

P.S.
Are you talking about the artificial Panama channel?

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Thanks,
Carlos

P.S.
Are you talking about the artificial Panama channel
No, North and South America lie on different tectonic plates. Only recently in geologic time have they collided to form one land mass. They are seperate continents, although they are now linked. I was not considering the Panama canal, because that is man-made and did not naturally occur.

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

From the web page "New York State Test Prep Social Studies 5 (Grade 3)"
"There are seven continents. They are North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia/Oceania, and Antartica."

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

From the web page "New York State Test Prep Social Studies 5 (Grade 3)"
"There are seven continents. They are North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia/Oceania, and Antartica."
Thank you, Jeff. That's what I believed. I am glad that you were able to find a good resource to back me up. I appriciate it.

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

It seems that when our amigo was an exchange student on LI, he missed third grade Social Studies. Or he went to Roslyn High. (local joke)

latinijral

Post by latinijral »

Carlos wrote:
Quester_X wrote:

Thanks,
Carlos

P.S.
Are you talking about the artificial Panama channel?
Quester X is a good example of the poor education they recieve in schools------this guy thinks that North and South America are different continents...that share a land concection that is Central America.
I love you all !!!
Pure skeptic

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Quester X is a good example of the poor education they recieve in schools------this guy thinks that North and South America are different continents...that share a land concection that is Central America.
Excuse me? First of all, I am not a guy. Secondly, as Jeff's outside resources show, North and South America are seperate continents. IT DOES NOT MATTER THAT THEY SHARE A LAND CONNECTION. Continents are defined by the tectonic plates that they lie upon. North and South America lie on different tectonic plates. Central America is considered to be a part of the North American continent. Therefore, they are seperate continents. For the same reason, Asia and Europe are considered seperate contients, despite the fact that they are also connected. Didn't you take basic social studies or geography? You should know this already, I learned it in Middle School.

Furthermore, I'll have you know I graduated High School with a 4.2 GPA, and am attending a very academically rigorous private college. I have a very good education. I have been nothing but polite with you and Carlos in this conversation, and I'll thank you to refrain from insults in the future. ESPECIALLY when you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Here, this should help you.
From this site:
http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/continents.htm
It seems the point of view that you are holding to has been obsolete since the 60's. You need to keep up with the times, my friend.
5 continents
We have been taught in school (in the 60's) that there are five continents, Africa, America, Asia, Australia/Oceania and Europe, for instance symbolised in the five rings of the Olympic Games.
6 continents
However, there is no standard definition for the number of continents. In Europe, many students are taught about six continents, where North and South America is combined to form a single America.
These six continents are Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia/Oceania, and Europe.
7 continents
By most standards, there are a maximum of seven continents - Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia/Oceania, Europe, North America, and South America. Many geographers and scientists now refer to six continents, where Europe and Asia are combined (because they're one solid landmass).
These six continents are Africa, Antarctica, Australia/Oceania, Eurasia, North America, and South America.