And you thought some teachers in the US were bad...

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
latinijral

Post by latinijral »

Quester_X wrote:
Quester X is a good example of the poor education they recieve in schools------this guy thinks that North and South America are different continents...that share a land concection that is Central America.
Excuse me? First of all, I am not a guy. Secondly, as Jeff's outside resources show, North and South America are seperate continents. IT DOES NOT MATTER THAT THEY SHARE A LAND CONNECTION. Continents are defined by the tectonic plates that they lie upon. North and South America lie on different tectonic plates. Central America is considered to be a part of the North American continent. Therefore, they are seperate continents. For the same reason, Asia and Europe are considered seperate contients, despite the fact that they are also connected. Didn't you take basic social studies or geography? You should know this already, I learned it in Middle School.

Furthermore, I'll have you know I graduated High School with a 4.2 GPA, and am attending a very academically rigorous private college. I have a very good education. I have been nothing but polite with you and Carlos in this conversation, and I'll thank you to refrain from insults in the future. ESPECIALLY when you obviously don't know what you are talking about.
According to your logic....how many continents have our planet?

Please don`t use google or Encarta.

If the question hard to answer please don`t reply.....I will understand your private education with honors....It is not your problem.
I love you all !!!
Pure skeptic

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

There are seven continents. Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, Antartica, North America, and South America. While there are far more than seven tectonic plates, most of them do not contain large land masses. Please refer to the previous resource I posted, it answers all your questions.
You'll all be mine, in the end.

latinijral

Post by latinijral »

Quester_X wrote:There are seven continents. Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, Antartica, North America, and South America. While there are far more than seven tectonic plates, most of them do not contain large land masses. Please refer to the previous resource I posted, it answers all your questions.
Are you sure you graduated High School with a 4.2 GPA?
I love you all !!!
Pure skeptic

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Yes. I am sure. Do you always find it necessary to resort to insults when you haven been beaten in a debate? Face it, you are unable to provide any support for your claims, whereas I have. You have been bested. Accept it and move on.

latinijral

Post by latinijral »

Quester_X wrote:
Yes. I am sure. Do you always find it necessary to resort to insults when you haven been beaten in a debate? Face it, you are unable to provide any support for your claims, whereas I have. You have been bested. Accept it and move on.
Relax honey

Where are my insults?
What debate?
I only make you a question and you answered according to your private education and the use of links.......that confirms my points of view about USA education.
If you want to stay with that concepts,,,,,you can keep it.
I love you all !!!
Pure skeptic

RCC

Post by RCC »

Quester_X wrote:

Furthermore, I'll have you know I graduated High School with a 4.2 GPA...
New derailment. It has been a while since I was in high school, but if I had a 4.2 GPA it would have been a typo as it only went up to 4.0 .

What's the deal here?

I mean, I've heard of grade inflation, but this is a bit over the top... :)

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

New derailment. It has been a while since I was in high school, but if I had a 4.2 GPA it would have been a typo as it only went up to 4.0 .

What's the deal here?

I mean, I've heard of grade inflation, but this is a bit over the top...
That's a good question. Ordinarily, it isn't possible to get above a 4.0. However... Many schools nowadays offer AP classes, which are worth college credit, and are much harder than regular high school classes. I took a slew of these. Since the courses are difficult, my school (among others as well) decided that these courses should count for more credit than regular classes. I had a 4.0 in my regular classes, and made all A's in my AP classes, so it added up to 4.2. I know it sounds odd, but I am not lying. :) I'm glad I took those AP classes, they've been a great asset now that I am in college.

RCC

Post by RCC »

Quester_X wrote:

What's the deal here?

I mean, I've heard of grade inflation, but this is a bit over the top...
That's a good question. Ordinarily, it isn't possible to get above a 4.0. However... Many schools nowadays offer AP classes, which are worth college credit, and are much harder than regular high school classes. I took a slew of these. Since the courses are difficult, my school (among others as well) decided that these courses should count for more credit than regular classes. I had a 4.0 in my regular classes, and made all A's in my AP classes, so it added up to 4.2. I know it sounds odd, but I am not lying. :) I'm glad I took those AP classes, they've been a great asset now that I am in college.
True about the AP thing. Between that and some sort of test I took to get credit for some other classes (CLEP?) I was a sophmore before I set foot in a college classroom. Came in real handy when signing up for classes and choosing a dorm room.

I had a 5.0 for a while, but then my school district decided that they were being stupid and changed to a 4.0 scale...

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Quester_X wrote:Here, this should help you.
From this site:
http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/continents.htm
It seems the point of view that you are holding to has been obsolete since the 60's. You need to keep up with the times, my friend.
5 continents
We have been taught in school (in the 60's) that there are five continents, Africa, America, Asia, Australia/Oceania and Europe, for instance symbolised in the five rings of the Olympic Games.
6 continents
However, there is no standard definition for the number of continents. In Europe, many students are taught about six continents, where North and South America is combined to form a single America.
These six continents are Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia/Oceania, and Europe.
7 continents
By most standards, there are a maximum of seven continents - Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia/Oceania, Europe, North America, and South America. Many geographers and scientists now refer to six continents, where Europe and Asia are combined (because they're one solid landmass).
These six continents are Africa, Antarctica, Australia/Oceania, Eurasia, North America, and South America.
Quester X :

The link you posted is very interesting.

Remember that my post was refering about an anecdotal experience I had in the USA at high school in the 60's. Mainly it was about the location of my country .If you check again your link , by that time all the world education knew about the five continents.

Smart people like you contribute to education bringing and finding how some "knowledges" with differnts meanings are spread around the world.

This is not a matter of winning , this is not a matter of who make the best insult ( Jeff or Latinijral) , this is not a matter of who appears to be smarter than the other.
This is a matter of truth.

Under that perspective , and based on your investigation, I see how ( always refering to the link you posted ) "for the same reason, Asia and Europe are considered seperate contients, despite the fact that they are also connected. many geographers and scientists now refer to six continents, where Europe and Asia are combined (because they're one solid landmass)."

But you also wrote before that "IT DOES NOT MATTER THAT THEY SHARE A LAND CONNECTION. " (the caps are yours) to justify there is not a single continent with the name America on it. There is some contradiction with some geographers and scientists.

You also tried to justify the name and number of the continents based on the tectonic plates .

And "America" is still divided in three tectonic plates. ( not two as you remarked)

And Europe and Asia share the same tectonic plate in contradiction for what you wrote before ("For the same reason, Asia and Europe are considered seperate continents, despite the fact that they are also connected." )

Here are the tectonic plates . Should the "seven continents" denomination be reconsider ?
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.c ... c%20plates

And yes , you had been very polite until now .I accept and think your caps were used to make emphasis.

Thanks,
Carlos

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

LostAngeles wrote:
rwald wrote:Shit. If my high-school teachers did that, I'd be a hemophiliac.
Shit, I'd have been dead by sophomore year.
:o

I might have made it to 5th grade, but I don't know for sure.
:shock:
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Alright, thank you Carlos. You are correct about the tectonic plates. It seems I am mistaken, and I apologize for the misinformation. I have learned something new out of all this, I had not known that scientists continued to debate on the classification of the continents. Apparently, teachings vary from country to country. I had not taken that into consideration. I had also missed the date you said you visited America, I can see how that would change matters. At any rate, I now understand where you are coming from, and it seems that most of this was a misunderstanding. No hard feelings, alright?

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Quester_X wrote:Alright, thank you Carlos. You are correct about the tectonic plates. It seems I am mistaken, and I apologize for the misinformation. I have learned something new out of all this, I had not known that scientists continued to debate on the classification of the continents. Apparently, teachings vary from country to country. I had not taken that into consideration. I had also missed the date you said you visited America, I can see how that would change matters. At any rate, I now understand where you are coming from, and it seems that most of this was a misunderstanding. No hard feelings, alright?
Quester X :

No hard feelings at all. Be sure.
We all knew something else everyday . That is the real purpose of a debate.
As I always say , we can dissagree in many points and still be friendly and polite.
And from what I read so far from your posts , you are very friendly and polite.
And recognizing some mistakes we always do in life. just show how we are learning more and more.
I appreciate very much your response. Are the kind of posts that give examples to many posters , including me.

Thanks,
Carlos

P.S.
I didn't visited America in 1969 , I visited the USA.
But this can be a topic to be discussed also.

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Carlos wrote:I didn't visited America in 1969 , I visited the USA.
Most people I have met from Mexico, Central and South America refer to the US as America and its citizens as Americans. Once a guy from Puerto Rico said something about "You Americans..." and I said, "You were born a citizen of the US."
A few Canadians have indicated thatthey bristled at the term American for US citizens.
But they didn't get incontinent about it.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Jeff wrote:
Carlos wrote:I didn't visited America in 1969 , I visited the USA.
Most people I have met from Mexico, Central and South America refer to the US as America and its citizens as Americans. Once a guy from Puerto Rico said something about "You Americans..." and I said, "You were born a citizen of the US."
A few Canadians have indicated thatthey bristled at the term American for US citizens.
But they didn't get incontinent about it.
Hi Jeff :

Are you the same one who wrote this before Quester X had the honesty to write he/she was mistaken?--->" It seems that when our amigo was an exchange student on LI, he missed third grade Social Studies."

Are you the same Jeff from the JREF forum ?

Back to topic :
It seems that you have just few examples and that maybe they were kind of polite with you.

You are : "los gringos" , and depending of the political circunstances you are "los gringos......."

No sir , your few examples ca not be consider as a fact .

Educated or not educated families in Mexico , Cenrtral America and South America know the "Estados Unidos" as the name of your country.

The ones who always refers as America and americanos , are the ones who went to USA and returned brainwashed by the system.

For the people, America is still the continent.

Have you heard the song "los americanos" ?

Thanks,
Carlos

rwald

Post by rwald »

In support of Carlos's comment, I once went to a summer camp with a large proportion of Venezuelans. They all tended to be somewhat offended if the term "American" was applied to residents of the US. Also, in my high school Spanish class, our teacher mentioned how people in South American used the term "Americano" to refer to a resident of either North or South America. However, she said that the term "Norteamericano" was often used to refer to residents of the US (despite the fact that Canadians are also "North Americans.") Carlos, can you confirm this last comment?
For the record, I don't actually know anything. Not even this.

Ever wondered what being a Caltech undergrad was like?
[url=http://caltizzle.caltech.edu]caltizzle.caltech.edu[/url]

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Code: Select all

However, she said that the term "Norteamericano" was often used to refer to residents of the US (despite the fact that Canadians are also "North Americans.") Carlos, can you confirm this last comment?
[quote]

When I took Spanish, that was the term we used. My teachers were from Spain and Cuba though, so that could make a difference. [/quote]

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

However, she said that the term "Norteamericano" was often used to refer to residents of the US (despite the fact that Canadians are also "North Americans.") Carlos, can you confirm this last comment?
When I took Spanish, that was the term we used. My teachers were from Spain and Cuba though, so that could make a difference.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

rwald wrote:In support of Carlos's comment, I once went to a summer camp with a large proportion of Venezuelans. They all tended to be somewhat offended if the term "American" was applied to residents of the US. Also, in my high school Spanish class, our teacher mentioned how people in South American used the term "Americano" to refer to a resident of either North or South America. However, she said that the term "Norteamericano" was often used to refer to residents of the US (despite the fact that Canadians are also "North Americans.") Carlos, can you confirm this last comment?
Hi Randall :
When latinamericans hear residents (...) of USA call their country "America" we have some kind of feeling related to USA imperialism or of ignorance from them ( asumming they think America is only USA and that we belong to another continent or planet ).

The term "norteamericano" , yes it is used , and mainly refered to USA residents or to the ones who speak in english . But not as much as "gringo".
By in this new modern times , the word gringo is also used to persons that have that anglo saxon look , no matter if they are from Ecuador , Peru , Africa or USA.
My brother that is blonde and blue eyes is called "gringo"

It is wierd , but we consider Mexico as part of NorthAmerica , according to the geographically division, and not as part of Central America.

I am not sure if in USA education Mexico is part of North America or if they even consider the existence of a Central America on their educational programs. Maybe you can help elaborating this.

Thanks,
Carlos

rwald

Post by rwald »

In general, we just refer to the continents of North America and South America, with everything up to and including Panama being in North America. However, sometimes Central America is referred to (not as a official continent, but rather as a region), and when it is, Mexico is almost always included.
For the record, I don't actually know anything. Not even this.

Ever wondered what being a Caltech undergrad was like?
[url=http://caltizzle.caltech.edu]caltizzle.caltech.edu[/url]

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Honestly, I think the only reason residents of the United States of America say "Americans" is because it's shorter. We don't really have much of a name of our own, since we were named after the continent. I guess we really don't think about how that makes others feel, but I'm sure it is not meant in a derogatory way. We should probably say "I'm from the United States", but then what are we? Unitedstateians? Unitedians? Really no good short term. Oh, how about, USAsian! :)