And you thought some teachers in the US were bad...

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
User avatar
Azraphael
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Slightly west of the Centre of the Universe

Post by Azraphael »

Jeff wrote:A few Canadians have indicated thatthey bristled at the term American for US citizens.
But they didn't get incontinent about it.
This is interesting to me. I've never heard of a Canadian having a problem with the term 'Americans' used to denote a group of people in the United States. In fact, if we want to refer to people of multiple countries in South America, they are generally referred to as 'South Americans'.

That being said, we don't refer to ourselves as 'North Americans' and do not use that term for people in the US, either.

The only bristling we Canadians do about the term 'American' is when someone applies it to us. We're Canadian, and extremely proud of it! :)

Cheers,

~Azraphael
[i]Knowledge is just opinion you trust enough to act upon.[/i]

User avatar
Nigel
Posts: 7987
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:33 am
Location: Brinsby

Post by Nigel »

I work with an incredibly cool guy originally from Venezuela, and after reading this thread, had to ask him about the nomenclature of "American". He echoed the previous sentiments that people in South America consider themselves "Americans" and some bristle when people from the US "monopolize" (my term, not his) the term "American". He also mentioned the 5 continents, not 7, and mentioned (with no prodding from me), about the Olympic flag. BTW, he's in his 30s.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

User avatar
Dagon (JREF's Psi Baba)
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:52 pm
Location: Rue The Day

Post by Dagon (JREF's Psi Baba) »

So then, which continent does southwestern California (and Baja Mexico) belong to? Pacifica? It is clearly not part of North America, right?
Can it core a apple?

User avatar
rwald
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:43 am
Location: Caltech

Post by rwald »

I think that Carlos successfully showed that we don't name continents after tectonic plates. Rather, we name them after large land regions which are (nearly) disjoint from other land regions. Of course, Europe and Asia are an exception to this rule (unless you count the Ural Mountains), but that's probably more due to cultural and historic reasons than anything else.
For the record, I don't actually know anything. Not even this.

Ever wondered what being a Caltech undergrad was like?
[url=http://caltizzle.caltech.edu]caltizzle.caltech.edu[/url]

Carlos
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:40 pm

Post by Carlos »

rwald wrote:I think that Carlos successfully showed that we don't name continents after tectonic plates. Rather, we name them after large land regions which are (nearly) disjoint from other land regions. Of course, Europe and Asia are an exception to this rule (unless you count the Ural Mountains), but that's probably more due to cultural and historic reasons than anything else.
Randall :

Can we assume that USA education is teaching wrong their students about this topic?

It is America a single continent divided in 3 geographical zones as it is teached in latin America?

I am not sure at all........now.

Thanks,
Carlos

User avatar
Quester_X
Posts: 12926
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:26 pm

Post by Quester_X »

I made a mistake, and I admitted it. I was too hasty to post my answer, so I failed to check my evidence. The system of designating continents seems rather arbitrary to me. In essence, we could all be correct. It seems to depend on where you were educated.
You'll all be mine, in the end.

Carlos
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:40 pm

Post by Carlos »

Quester_X wrote:I made a mistake, and I admitted it. I was too hasty to post my answer, so I failed to check my evidence. The system of designating continents seems rather arbitrary to me. In essence, we could all be correct. It seems to depend on where you were educated.
Hi Quester :

The system of designating continents it must be only the correct one. It is a matter of logic and rational thinking.

We are living in the 21 century . This is not a matter of belief. It is a matter of how people are wrong or well educated.

The USA education designating North America and South America as separate continents is wrong and has not any scientifical base.

The USA education denying America as a single continent has not any historical reference.

Why not having a single answer?An answer that resumes the truth.

Thanks,
Carlos

User avatar
Quester_X
Posts: 12926
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:26 pm

Post by Quester_X »

Why not having a single answer?An answer that resumes the truth.
Fine by me. It would be better for the world to agree upon one map of the continents. With all the contention in the world today, I doubt it will happen anytime soon, however. For example, America probably should switch to the metric system as well, but the majority of Americans oppose that... it's difficult to get everyone to agree to share a common viewpoint.
You'll all be mine, in the end.

Carlos
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:40 pm

Post by Carlos »

Quester_X wrote:
Why not having a single answer?An answer that resumes the truth.
Fine by me. It would be better for the world to agree upon one map of the continents. With all the contention in the world today, I doubt it will happen anytime soon, however. For example, America probably should switch to the metric system as well, but the majority of Americans oppose that... it's difficult to get everyone to agree to share a common viewpoint.
America?
Or you are talking about USA?

Because of how I was educated, I still live in America and we do have the metric system in this part of the continent.

Thanks,
Carlos

User avatar
Quester_X
Posts: 12926
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:26 pm

Post by Quester_X »

America?
Or you are talking about USA?
Arrgh! I did it again! It's a hard habit to break, I tell you...
Yes, I meant the USA.
You'll all be mine, in the end.

Jeff
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:01 pm

Post by Jeff »

Carlos wrote:The USA education designating North America and South America as separate continents is wrong and has not any scientifical base.
Wrong. The designation of "continents" is quite arbitrary, as others have pointed out. Why are Europe and Asia considered separate continents? It has no scientific basis, as they are a contiguous land mass. Why are Africa and Asia considered separate when they are connected by a larger mass than the Isthmus of Panama, which connects North and South America (which you count as one continent). That has no scientific basis.
Thus, you have no scientific basis for contending that N and S America is only one continent.
Again, it's all arbitrary.

Carlos
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:40 pm

Post by Carlos »

Jeff wrote:
Carlos wrote:The USA education designating North America and South America as separate continents is wrong and has not any scientifical base.
Wrong. The designation of "continents" is quite arbitrary, as others have pointed out. Why are Europe and Asia considered separate continents? It has no scientific basis, as they are a contiguous land mass. Why are Africa and Asia considered separate when they are connected by a larger mass than the Isthmus of Panama, which connects North and South America (which you count as one continent). That has no scientific basis.
Thus, you have no scientific basis for contending that N and S America is only one continent.
Again, it's all arbitrary.
Science and educational knowledge about this kind of stuff can not be arbitrary.

Under scientific denomination of continents according teutonic plates , America is divided in 3 regions/continents : North , Central and South.
This scientific denomination is more according to LatinAmerica education.
But USA keep teaching only about NORTH and SOUTH. Completely wrong.

Under historical denomination , the name AMERICA to the continent was because of the first maps done by portuguese AMERICO VESPUCCI . Honoring him was the reason of the designation of the name AMERICA to the continent.
Again this historical denomination is more according to Latin America education.
But USA keep teaching AMERICA is the USA. Completely wrong.
A hard habbit to break, as QuesterX's honesty claimed.

Thanks,
Carlos

User avatar
Nigel
Posts: 7987
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:33 am
Location: Brinsby

Post by Nigel »

Carlos wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Carlos wrote:The USA education designating North America and South America as separate continents is wrong and has not any scientifical base.
Wrong. The designation of "continents" is quite arbitrary, as others have pointed out. Why are Europe and Asia considered separate continents? It has no scientific basis, as they are a contiguous land mass. Why are Africa and Asia considered separate when they are connected by a larger mass than the Isthmus of Panama, which connects North and South America (which you count as one continent). That has no scientific basis.
Thus, you have no scientific basis for contending that N and S America is only one continent.
Again, it's all arbitrary.
Science and educational knowledge about this kind of stuff can not be arbitrary.

Under scientific denomination of continents according teutonic plates , America is divided in 3 regions/continents : North , Central and South.
This scientific denomination is more according to LatinAmerica education.
But USA keep teaching only about NORTH and SOUTH. Completely wrong.

Under historical denomination , the name AMERICA to the continent was because of the first maps done by portuguese AMERICO VESPUCCI . Honoring him was the reason of the designation of the name AMERICA to the continent.
Again this historical denomination is more according to Latin America education.
But USA keep teaching AMERICA is the USA. Completely wrong.
A hard habbit to break, as QuesterX's honesty claimed.

Thanks,
Carlos
We also learn about Central America in United States schools. So we don't just learn about North and South America. I clearly remember learning about Panama and other Central American countries in school. Sorry, Carlos, but this claim doesn't hold up.

And let's quibble. USA is America, maybe just not the only America.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

Carlos
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:40 pm

Post by Carlos »

Nigel wrote: We also learn about Central America in United States schools. So we don't just learn about North and South America. I clearly remember learning about Panama and other Central American countries in school. Sorry, Carlos, but this claim doesn't hold up.

And let's quibble. USA is America, maybe just not the only America.
Maybe you missed the first page of this topic and why I am stating here your USA education just designate North America and South America as separate continents.

Jeff posted this :"From the web page "New York State Test Prep Social Studies 5 (Grade 3)"
"There are seven continents. They are North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia/Oceania, and Antartica."

See? Central America is out.

We are talking about the correct way to educate people about designating continents.

And faced it : you are american..... born in USA.
I am american ...born in Ecuador.


Thanks,
Carlos

Jeff
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:01 pm

Post by Jeff »

[oops
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:01 pm

Post by Jeff »

[quote="Carlos"]Science and educational knowledge about this kind of stuff can not be arbitrary. [/quote="Carlos]
Wrong again. Some geographers classify Eurasia as one continent, not two. Others go so far as to suggest the Eurasiafrica should be one, not three.
[quote="Carlos"]Under scientific denomination of continents according teutonic plates , America is divided in 3 regions/continents : North , Central and South.[/quote="Carlos"]
Wrong or confused again. As you showed one page one, tectonic (not teutonic, that is what bratwurst is served on) plates have nothing to do with naming continents. That naming started well before Alfred Von Wegener proposed his theory in 1915. If a plate defined a continent, we would have well over seven.
It is arbitrary. There is no way to scientifically resolve the issue.
By the way, how do you spell aluminum? Aluminium?
Another arbitrary decision?

Carlos
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:40 pm

Post by Carlos »

Jeff wrote: Wrong again. Some geographers classify Eurasia as one continent, not two. Others go so far as to suggest the Eurasiafrica should be one, not three.
Why wrong?
It just proved that there is not a definition.
Jeff wrote:
Wrong or confused again. As you showed one page one, tectonic (not teutonic, that is what bratwurst is served on) plates have nothing to do with naming continents. That naming started well before Alfred Von Wegener proposed his theory in 1915. If a plate defined a continent, we would have well over seven.
It seems that you are the confused one , since I just showed the evidence of how the tectonic plates don't have a basis for denomating continents as you and QuesterX (specially her) stated.
The difference with QuesterX is that she is no trying to win nothing here.
She showed her intelligence admiting how wrong she was and how we all are trying to learn something.
But you tried to mockered on me just because you have an obsessed idea with me, and before I posted about the tectonic plates you stated this --->" It seems that when our amigo was an exchange student on LI, he missed third grade Social Studies."

Jeff wrote:
It is arbitrary. There is no way to scientifically resolve the issue.
If you think so , then you keep on denominating just North and South America.
You don't have any educational /scientifical/historical /geographiacl basis to do it. Then you are not well educated in that issue.
Jeff wrote:
By the way, how do you spell aluminum? Aluminium?
Another arbitrary decision?
It is not relevant to this topic. I called aluminio.

Are you the same Jeff Corey from Long Island?
You don't need to answer this one. But I understand you more.... your position.

Thanks,
Carlos

Jeff
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:01 pm

Post by Jeff »

Carlos said," It seems that you are the confused one , since I just showed the evidence of how the tectonic plates don't have a basis for denomating continents as you and QuesterX (specially her) stated."

No I didn't. Go back and check.
Wrong again.
Well, at least you are consistent.
Wrong every time.

Carlos
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:40 pm

Post by Carlos »

Jeff wrote:Carlos said," It seems that you are the confused one , since I just showed the evidence of how the tectonic plates don't have a basis for denomating continents as you and QuesterX (specially her) stated."

No I didn't. Go back and check.
Wrong again.
Well, at least you are consistent.
Wrong every time.
The one who should check it is you........Jeff from L.I.
Quester X already thanked to you for the link that was supposed to support her claim about North America and South America being separate continents because of separate tectonics plates.

Anyway you are very consistent in your belief you are very smart.

Thanks,
Carlos

Jeff
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:01 pm

Post by Jeff »

Carlos wrote:
Jeff wrote:Carlos said," It seems that you are the confused one , since I just showed the evidence of how the tectonic plates don't have a basis for denomating continents as you and QuesterX (specially her) stated."

No I didn't. Go back and check.
Wrong again.
Well, at least you are consistent.
Wrong every time.
The one who should check it is you........Jeff from L.I.
Quester X already thanked to you for the link that was supposed to support her claim about North America and South America being separate continents because of separate tectonics plates.
Anyway you are very consistent in your belief you are very smart.
Thanks,
Carlos
You are wrong again.
I posted no link about tectonic plates. I posted no link at all. I don't even know how to post links here.
You seem to be very confused, even with the evidence in front of you on this thread. Why don't you go back and look?