You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

From The Boston Globe
http://tinyurl.com/cgdp2
AMHERST, Mass. --Two middle school students who spent months working on a science project to prove how dangerous BB guns can be were disqualified from the state middle school science fair -- because BB guns are too dangerous.

Amherst Regional Middle School eighth-graders Nathan C. Woodard and Nathaniel A. Gorlin-Crenshaw spent seven months researching and testing their hypothesis that BB guns can be deadly and shouldn't be used by children. Minors can't purchase BB guns, but they can receive them as gifts.

The students said they proved that BB guns can penetrate a human to cause a fatal injury; pellets can penetrate farther than BBs; and clothing affects how far a BB and pellet will penetrate.

The boys spent about $200 on ballistics gelatin, which has the same density and consistency as human flesh, to use during their ballistic tests, which were done under the supervision of science teacher Jennifer D. Welborn and Nathan's mother, Sharon L. Downs.

"We put a lot of time into this -- every Monday and Thursday since November," Gorlin-Crenshaw told The Republican of Springfield. "We devoted a weekend to the actual testing."

But 10 days before the June 4 event at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, they were told not to bother attending.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Lawsuit time.

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Poor kids. That sounds like a great project idea, and they should be given full recognition for their hard work!
You'll all be mine, in the end.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The article doesn't say, but betcha it's one of those "zero tolerance" deals.

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Were they going to shoot a BB during their presentation? I doubt it. This does sound like zero tolerance BS.
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Marian

Post by Marian »

"We had everything ready except gluing the poster," Woodard said. "We got an e-mail that the project was hazardous and it couldn't be shown because they didn't want to encourage kids to use ballistics."

Nancy G. Degon, vice president of Massachusetts State Science Fair Inc. and co-chair of the middle school fair, said fair rules prohibit hazardous substances and devices.

She said she never received a research plan from the boys, and if she had, their project would have been rejected immediately.

The students and Welborn said they sent in the plan.

"The scientific review committee does not consider science projects involving firearms to be safe for middle school students," Degon said. "We've never considered guns before. We've rejected BB guns in the past."

The boys were invited to present their findings to some judges and receive a certificate of accomplishment, but they rejected the offer because they weren't allowed to compete.
Basically they've rejected projects with BB guns in the past, and state that they would have rejected the project had they ever turned in their review material like they were supposed to.

Kids say they did turn in the paperwork.

Kids were offered the opportunity to present their findings to some judges and recieve a certificate, they declined. (I would assume this would be outside the fair, or perhaps at the fair without the actual bb gun demonstration).

And it's easier to have a zero tolerance policy than to deal with the problems of which you can/will accept and which you won't. Or dealing with liability because someone is injured or killed.

And ironically the kids' experiement has demonstated the lethality of BB guns ;)
[size=75]<b><u>Trolls that I'm not feeding</u></b>
Jarod3, Kilik, Interesting Ian

<b><u>Also on ignore...</u></b>
jj[/size]

[url=http://www.elementsgraphics.net/index.php?id=eggs][img]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/o919a.gif[/img][/url]

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Marian wrote: And ironically the kids' experiement has demonstated the lethality of BB guns ;)
OK I see the smiley but it must be said:

That is, they proved their hypothesis. That is they did real science. And had adult supervision with the hazardous parts.

So really it's an attack on the very idea of guns. A political agenda, not a safety issue.

At one time New York City (not Redneckville) public high schools had rifle teams. It's an Olympic sport, after all. And no school ever got shot up.

"Zero tolerance" is the school administation substituting a simple algorithm for the notion that adults should be having adult judgement, no matter who it hurts. It sends the message that adults are stupid and evil.

Marian

Post by Marian »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Marian wrote: And ironically the kids' experiement has demonstated the lethality of BB guns ;)
OK I see the smiley but it must be said:

That is, they proved their hypothesis. That is they did real science. And had adult supervision with the hazardous parts.

So really it's an attack on the very idea of guns. A political agenda, not a safety issue.

At one time New York City (not Redneckville) public high schools had rifle teams. It's an Olympic sport, after all. And no school ever got shot up.

"Zero tolerance" is the school administation substituting a simple algorithm for the notion that adults should be having adult judgement, no matter who it hurts. It sends the message that adults are stupid and evil.
I think it has far less to do with political aspect of guns, and far more to do with the very real potential of legal liability and lawsuits.
[size=75]<b><u>Trolls that I'm not feeding</u></b>
Jarod3, Kilik, Interesting Ian

<b><u>Also on ignore...</u></b>
jj[/size]

[url=http://www.elementsgraphics.net/index.php?id=eggs][img]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/o919a.gif[/img][/url]

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

So? You want children . . . CHILDREN!!! . . . to be hurt by BB guns?!

One of the CHILDREN at the fair could have caught pneumonia!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Cletus A.A.

Post by Cletus A.A. »

She said she never received a research plan from the boys, and if she had, their project would have been rejected immediately.

The students and Welborn said they sent in the plan.

New project:Solving the question of how election officials are selected in Florida. :roll:

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

By the ones who actually bother to show up at the polls and read their ballots.

:D

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Look, when I poke random holes in my ballot, I expect the election commission to know which candidate I voted for. Why the hell am I paying taxes otherwise??!!?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.