Cleveland Schools throw away books

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Cleveland Schools throw away books

Post by Pyrrho »

Sigh...and Clevelanders wonder why Cleveland is such a joke.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/5002881/detail.html

I give up.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Dappadee

Re: Cleveland Schools throw away books

Post by Dappadee »

Pyrrho wrote:Sigh...and Clevelanders wonder why Cleveland is such a joke.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/5002881/detail.html

I give up.
Green: "If we're not using them anymore, there should be somewhere they could go, other than the Dumpster."
Indeed. Maybe to the Discovery Institute, they sure as hell need a science lesson.
Christianity: The belief that some cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-women was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...seems plausible.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

What books do they need? They have the Bible!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Yeah, they WILL have the Bible:

Bible textbook
An interfaith group is releasing a new textbook aimed at teaching public high school students about the Bible while avoiding legal and religious disputes.

The nonprofit Bible Literacy Project of Fairfax, Virginia, spent five years and $2 million developing "The Bible and Its Influence." The textbook, to be introduced at a Washington news conference, won initial endorsements from experts in literature, religion and church-state law.

The textbook "shows that it can be done," said American Jewish Congress attorney Marc Stern, an adviser on the effort. "And it will short-circuit people who would take religion entirely out of the public school curriculum."

The $50 book and forthcoming teacher's guide, covering both Old and New Testaments, are planned for semester-long or full-year courses starting next year.
Sigh...why is it that these religious people are so hell-bent on getting religion into the public schools? Sure, let's pend a semester or a year studying the Bible, and set aside some useless course of study.

Your Tax Dollar At Work, folks. In Cleveland, there aren't enough tax dollars to go around, much less for a $50 book on the Bible.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Pyrrho wrote: Sigh...why is it that these religious people are so hell-bent on getting religion into the public schools?
Because to hear them tell it, the trouble with America began with Madelyn Murray OHair and taking prayer out of schools.

So by their logic, putting god back into schools will make everything right again.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Cleveland Schools throw away books

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Better than the once and future mayor of Chicago.

Oh wait! That's his dad.

Daley forever.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Will they teach the actual development of the Biblical texts--such as variant readings, competition between the texts, contradictions, and myth--or will they simply provide apologetic crap?

Rhetorical question.

In the rain.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Doctor X wrote:Will they teach the actual development of the Biblical texts--such as variant readings, competition between the texts, contradictions, and myth--or will they simply provide apologetic crap?

Rhetorical question.

In the rain.

--J.D.
List of features
1. It was created to fulfill the standards of The Bible & Public Schools: A First Amendment Guide, co-published by the Bible Literacy Project and the First Amendment Center. The Guide provides a consensus statement about how the Bible can be taught in public schools, and was endorsed by 20 national educational and religious organizations, including the National Education Association, the American Federation of Teachers, the National School Boards Association, the National Association of Evangelicals, the American Jewish Congress, and the Baptist Joint Committee for Legislative and Public Affairs, among many others.

2. It has been examined by 40 reviewers, with their feedback incorporated into the editing of the text. The reviewers include prominent literature academics as well as high school teachers and scholars from the Roman Catholic, Protestant Evangelical, Mainline Protestant, Eastern Orthodox and Jewish traditions. (Reviewers are listed in the press room at www.bibleliteracy.org).

3. It is a student textbook. While some curricula offer only a teacher’s guide, the Bible Literacy Project textbook will be the only student textbook produced in the last 30 years. It presents a straightforward explanation of the narratives, themes, and characters of the Hebrew Scriptures and the New Testament. The course includes direct reading from the Bible. Students will use the translation of the Bible with which they are most comfortable.

4. It broadly covers the cultural contexts and influences of the Bible with examples of art, literature, rhetoric and music. The textbook contains engaging features entitled Historical Connections, The Bible in Literature, Cultural Connections (music, art, rhetoric), and Into Everyday Language. Special one or two-page features include “Abraham Lincoln and the Bible,” “Handel’s Messiah,” “The Bible and Emancipation,” Shakespeare and the Bible,” among many others. (There are more than 1300 Biblical references in the works of Shakespeare alone, and more than 60% of allusions to learn for one AP literature exam prep course are Biblical phrases. Citations provided at www.bibleliteracy.org.)

5. It preserves the ability of parents to teach their view of the Bible’s religious significance. The text presents a fair and academic presentation of the Bible, without prejudice to a particular view of canon and doctrine.

6. It has been pilot tested both in public high schools and in a university training course for English teachers.

7. There is an accompanying teacher's manual in development (scheduled for late Spring 2006).

8. There will be a university-based, online teacher training program available.
To get a better idea of the contents, read this:

Sample pages PDF

Ah, well. I don't agree with this line:
The Bible is like a source code for much of life and language in the land where you live. If
you are unaware of that source code, your education is incomplete.
I agree that The Bible has been used quite a bit in Western culture -- that is undeniable. I don't agree that it is "like a source code". Eh, what's the harm...

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Ah, so no!

--J.D.