Wuhan Flu Truth and Big Brother Narratives

We are the Borg.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Wuhan Flu Truth and Big Brother Narratives

Post by Pyrrho »

There is and has been a huge market for abuse of that sort.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Who the hell knows. Wouldn't be an issue if a) the media weren't so willing to boost the signal and b) if people weren't so stupid, ignorant, and gullible. It's like watching the proles in 1984 in real time. Channels like Twitter tend to exaggerate the conspiraloons, whereas in the average person's daily life, running across Qanon would be like getting struck by lightning twice in the same day.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Given that precautions were probably observed more in the breech than the observance this week end, when do we see the dreaded "spike"?

And if it does not occur, what shall we make of that? And the fearmongers?
This space for let
gnome

Post by gnome »

If there is no spike, that's great news--it means that reopening can likely accelerate. Caution advocates won't have much of a leg to stand on to continue opposition, and if they are genuine "fearmongers" they may find few participants.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cor ... t-research
Nearly 200 clinical trials are under way or planned around the world to test the drugs, either alone or in combination with other medications. That includes at least 28 trials examining whether either drug can protect healthcare workers and others at high risk of getting COVID-19.

Here’s what scientists know about the drugs and their potential.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Doc Bastard busts 25 COVID-19 myths.

http://www.docbastard.net/2020/05/covid ... sting.html
COVID-19 Mythbusting
God damn it, here we go again. Another goddamned rabbit hole, and another goddamned long-ass post that no one will likely read, care about, or both. In case you don't know exactly what I'm talking about, I went about busting 76 of the most common vaccine myths I see on social media just over a year ago, so if you haven't read that post, I'd strongly suggest ignoring it completely unless you enjoy bashing your head against a wall repeatedly, because reading that would probably hurt quite a bit more.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Very good piece, thanks.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

corplinx wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:38 pm

Here is your daily reminder that democrats have now politicized and corrupted research into treatments. Don't trust a damn thing in the US.

The Chinese are forced to comply with a government, but in the US 40% of the country are evil people who are complicit in a conspiracy against the human race.
DDS. I mean, just read what you wrote.

Also Raoult seems like a crank to me. Apparently an evolution denier too.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

ed wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:49 pm Given that precautions were probably observed more in the breech than the observance this week end, when do we see the dreaded "spike"?

And if it does not occur, what shall we make of that? And the fearmongers?
Just a guess, but probably by the end of June, if it's going to happen. I'm on the fence.

Everything isn't quite back to normal yet, after all. Sports have yet to resume. Music concerts, nightclubs, "raves" and other large gatherings of densely packed people haven't returned yet.

If we just picked up where we left off and resume all of those activities like we used to, it would probably spread pretty fast, but we're somewhere in between lockdown and business as normal, so it's hard to say exactly.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:32 amIf we just picked up where we left off and resume all of those activities like we used to, it would probably spread pretty fast, but we're somewhere in between lockdown and business as normal, so it's hard to say exactly.
Consider how many die of "the flu."

Should we not exercise such caution?

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:07 am
Anaxagoras wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:32 amIf we just picked up where we left off and resume all of those activities like we used to, it would probably spread pretty fast, but we're somewhere in between lockdown and business as normal, so it's hard to say exactly.
Consider how many die of "the flu."

Should we not exercise such caution?

– J.D.
Probably, yes. But all those things, and tourism and travel are also part of the economy, so there is a cost.

I would like to see baseball again, but maybe keep the stadiums empty, or at least half empty.
William Shakespeare
ed

Post by ed »

I am begining to think that the Whuhan Flu is new new "racism".

We shall see. But if the death rate is <= 0.25% you are going to need some mighty powerful arguments for any level of government mandated shutdown.
This space for let
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Re: the Tang, et al. article...from the link to preprint version 1:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... ioned=true
This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.
Also in preprint version 2:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20060558v2
This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.
Each of those statements contains a link to this explanation:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/what-un ... d-preprint

Medical science articles such as this one are routinely subject to peer review, revision, and correction before publication in a medical journal. Raoult is complaining about standard practice. The text he is complaining about appears to make definitive statements about the efficacy of Hydroxychloroquine and that is typically discouraged in such papers. The figures may have been in error; we don't know, because we don't have the comments from the peer reviewers, nor do we have the comments from the editors of The BMJ.

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/ ... upprimees/

Finally, publication in a prestigious medical journal does not mean that the results and conclusions are correct. That is something that has to be assessed by repetition of the study and by thorough assessment of the data by competent people. Scott Adams is not among them. Raoult does not appear to be among them, either.

However, I defer to my betters in these fields of endeavor.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Wuhan flu is now considered racist and soon will get you banned from social media
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

ed wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:36 am I am begining to think that the Whuhan Flu is new new "racism".

We shall see. But if the death rate is <= 0.25% you are going to need some mighty powerful arguments for any level of government mandated shutdown.
I'll take that to mean that if the mortality rate comes in over 0.5% you'll admit your error.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.
robinson

Post by robinson »

The utter failure of models

what a surprise

robinson

Post by robinson »

Now we need an explainer to tell us what it really means

Your up Atheist dude
ed

Post by ed »

robinson wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:28 pm The utter failure of models

what a surprise

I'm not going to go into the weeds on this but if a model is incorrectly specified the results and implications are junk. And if something as basic to modeling an epidemiological problem like proximity of members of the population is not considered you are dealing with gross incompetence. I may have mentioned that medical researchers are not the sharpest knives in the drawer methodologically speaking, IMHO.
This space for let
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detai ... -countries

Tracking covid-19 excess deaths across countries

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Ignorant opinion is worth its weight in bitcoin these days.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:20 pm Expert opinion is worse than useless when professional integrity is abandoned for tribal loyalty.

And I'm not singling out any one particular tribe.

And even if some offend more often than others, it shouldn't happen at all.
And yet somehow getting your opinions from the unimpeachable source of "some guy on the internet" usually winds up even worse than that.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
gnome

Post by gnome »

Indeed :)
--Soldier, TF2
robinson

Post by robinson »

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

And your proof that hydrofuckyou works?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Deferring to my betters.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-2496

Hydroxychloroquine or Chloroquine for Treatment or Prophylaxis of COVID-19: A Living Systematic Review
Purpose:
To summarize evidence about the benefits and harms of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine for the treatment or prophylaxis of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

Limitation:
There were few controlled studies, and control for confounding was inadequate in observational studies.

Conclusion:
Evidence on the benefits and harms of using hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine to treat COVID-19 is very weak and conflicting.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I don't really know what's wrong with the Lancet study, but I guess we are still awaiting a double-blinded placebo-controlled trial.

So the jury's still out.
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

France, Italy, Belgium act to stop use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 over safety fears
France, Italy and Belgium acted to halt the use of hydroxychloroquine to treat patients suffering from COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus, amid questions about the safety of the generic anti-malaria drug.

The moves by three of the countries hardest hit by coronavirus infections and deaths follow a World Health Organization decision on Monday to pause a large trial of hydroxychloroquine due to safety concerns.

France on Wednesday cancelled a decree allowing hospital doctors to dispense the medicine, while the Italian Medicine Agency (AIFA) suspended authorization to use hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 outside clinical trials.

Belgium's medicine agency warned against using the drug to treat the virus, except within ongoing clinical registered trials. It said trials aiming to evaluate the drug should also take potential risks into consideration.

A U.K. regulator said on Wednesday that a separate trial was also being put on hold, less than a week after its launch. The study, being led by the University of Oxford and partly funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, was expected to involve as many as 40,000 health-care workers.

"All hydroxychloroquine trials in COVID-19 remain under close review" while investigators assess any further risks, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) said in an email to Reuters.
However, more recent studies have raised serious safety issues. British medical journal The Lancet has reported coronavirus patients receiving hydroxychloroquine were more likely to die and experience dangerous irregular heartbeats.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, one of Trump's health advisers as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told CNN in an interview on Wednesday that "the scientific data is really quite evident now about the lack of efficacy."

France's cancellation, which effectively bans use of the drug for COVID-19, was confirmed by the Health Ministry. It did not refer to the WHO suspension.
William Shakespeare
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Papa Lazarou

Post by Papa Lazarou »

This is just a saga now.
Hello DAVE! I got some pegs belonging to you.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Yep
robinson

Post by robinson »

Chaff
robinson

Post by robinson »

Communication and accurate information are critical in a battle

Chaff disrupts the ability to see a target
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I'll have to watch that in the morning. It's late here. I don't really have a high opinion of the lancet though. They're the one who published the infamous Andrew Wakefield "study" that plagues us to this day. Even though they eventually retracted it, it was far too late and the damage was already done.
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Strange though that ongoing clinical trials would be paused out of safety concerns in the middle of an ongoing pandemic. Did the pandemic end and nobody sent me the memo? Or is the science so settled that there's no point in continuing them?
William Shakespeare
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Killing patients in clinical trials is generally frowned upon.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

corplinx wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:16 pm
Anaxagoras wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:36 am I don't really know what's wrong with the Lancet study, but I guess we are still awaiting a double-blinded placebo-controlled trial.

So the jury's still out.
The Lancet study appears to be an act of Sabotage.

A mysterious company claiming to be a health data science company that nobody has ever heard of, compiled the data. Peer reviews are calling for the Lancet to retract as people couldn't reconcile their numbers with the real ones.

It's frightening the level people are going to now to discredit Trump for saying "i feel good about it".

Jesus fucking Christ.
Missed that one...got a link?
robinson

Post by robinson »

Yep
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.barrons.com/news/scientists ... 1590751504
Dozens of scientists have raised concerns over a large-scale study of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine published in the Lancet that led to the World Health Organization suspending clinical trials of the anti-viral drugs as a potential treatment for COVID-19.

Hydroxychloroquine, normally used to treat arthritis, has become one of the most high profile drugs being tested for use against the new coronavirus partly because of endorsements by public figures including US President Donald Trump.

Researchers on Friday stood by the conclusion of their study that treatment with hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, an anti-malarial, showed no benefit and even increased the likelihood of patients dying in hospital.

The observational research, led by Mandeep Mehra of the Brigham and Women's Hospital in the US, looked at records from 96,000 patients in hundreds of hospitals between December and April and compared those who received treatment with a control group.

The research, published in the Lancet medical journal on May 22, followed numerous smaller studies that suggested hydroxychloroquine is ineffective in treating COVID-19 and might even be more dangerous than doing nothing.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 6/fulltext
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

corplinx wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:20 pm

Chris has put up a thorough fileting of the Lancet published "study". It's kind of scary the level of misinformation going on.

We now have FakeScience in addition to FakeNews. And FakeScience has gone global.

All those science denying creationists are going to see it from their confirmation bias. FakeScience is a terrible thing. It makes it hard to reason with anyone when they can point at stuff like this.
Well, that was informative. There's a bit at the end of the video that made my skeptical antennae twitch (from 44:30) but the part in the middle of the video raised many legitimate red flags about the study that strongly point to the data being cooked.

At the very least, the data seems to be a black box. The authors and the company that gathered the data refuse to share basic information such as which hospitals the data was gathered from. Information that would allow third parties to contact the hospitals and confirm that they did in fact provide data for this study. The data also looks fake and is dubious (for the explanation, see the video). There's a host of other issues.

I strongly suspect that at least some of the data was made up. Possibly all of it.

I do recommend watching the video, but if anyone is allergic to Youtube videos:

Scientists Worldwide Are Questioning A Massive Study That Raised Concerns About The Malaria Drug Hyped As A COVID-19 Treatment
A massive study that raised serious health concerns about hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug President Donald Trump has reportedly taken as a coronavirus preventive, is now under scrutiny from more than 180 scientists worldwide who are asking the research team to release its data for outside analysis.

When the study was published last week in the Lancet, a high-profile medical journal, it drew widespread media attention, including from BuzzFeed News. Its massive dataset — consisting of 96,000 hospitalized COVID-19 patients across six continents — seemed to offer the most definitive examination to date of hydroxychloroquine’s inability to fight the coronavirus, and also linked it to a higher risk of death.

But the letter, which went online on Thursday, raises questions about some seemingly inconsistent data in the paper. Among the scientists' 10 concerns are that the average daily doses of hydroxychloroquine were higher than the FDA-recommended amounts and that data reportedly from Australian patients did not seem to match data from the Australian government. This week, the Guardian reported that it could not confirm with several of that country’s health agencies that they provided data to the study.

The study's authors, led by Mandeep Mehra of Harvard Medical School, have repeatedly declined to release their underlying data.

On Friday, the study’s research team corrected some of its data but said its conclusions remained the same.
Here is the letter itself (minus the list of signatories)
Open letter to MR Mehra, SS Desai, F Ruschitzka, and AN Patel, authors of
“Hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine with or without a macrolide for treatment of COVID- 19: a multinational registry analysis”. Lancet. 2020 May 22:S0140-6736(20)31180-6. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31180-6. PMID: 32450107
and to Richard Horton (editor of The Lancet).

Concerns regarding the statistical analysis and data integrity

The retrospective, observational study of 96,032 hospitalized COVID-19 patients from six continents reported substantially increased mortality (~30% excess deaths) and occurrence of cardiac arrhythmias associated with the use of the 4-aminoquinoline drugs hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine. These results have had a considerable impact on public health practice and research.

The WHO has paused recruitment to the hydroxychloroquine arm in their SOLIDARITY trial. The UK regulatory body, MHRA, requested the temporary pausing of recruitment into all hydroxychloroquine trials in the UK (treatment and prevention), and France has changed its national recommendation for the use of hydroxychloroquine in COVID-19 treatment and also halted trials.

The subsequent media headlines have caused considerable concern to participants and patients enrolled in randomized controlled trials (RCTs) seeking to characterize the potential benefits and risks of these drugs in the treatment and prevention of COVID-19 infections. There is uniform agreement that well conducted RCTs are needed to inform policies and practices.

This impact has led many researchers around the world to scrutinize in detail the publication in question. This scrutiny has raised both methodological and data integrity concerns. The main concerns are listed as follows:

1. There was inadequate adjustment for known and measured confounders (disease severity, temporal effects, site effects, dose used).
2. The authors have not adhered to standard practices in the machine learning and statistics community. They have not released their code or data. There is no data/code sharing and availability statement in the paper. The Lancet was among the many signatories on the Wellcome statement on data sharing for COVID-19 studies.
3. There was no ethics review.
4. There was no mention of the countries or hospitals that contributed to the data source and
no acknowledgments of their contributions. A request to the authors for information on the
contributing centres was denied.
5. Data from Australia are not compatible with government reports (too many cases for just
five hospitals, more in-hospital deaths than had occurred in the entire country during the study period). Surgisphere (the data company) have since stated this was an error of classification of one hospital from Asia. This indicates the need for further error checking throughout the database.
6. Data from Africa indicate that nearly 25% of all COVID-19 cases and 40% of all deaths in the
continent occurred in Surgisphere-associated hospitals which had sophisticated electronic
patient data recording, and patient monitoring able to detect and record “nonsustained [at
least 6 secs] or sustained ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation”. Both the
numbers of cases and deaths, and the details provided, seem unlikely.
7. Unusually small reported variation in baseline variables, interventions and outcomes between continents (Table S3).
8. Mean daily doses of hydroxychloroquine that are 100 mg higher than FDA recommendations, whereas 66% of the data are from North American hospitals.
9. Implausible ratios of chloroquine to hydroxychloroquine use in some continents. For example, in Australia 49 received chloroquine and 50 received hydroxychloroquine. However, chloroquine is not readily available in Australia and administration requires authorization from the Therapeutic Goods Administration.
10. The tight 95% confidence intervals reported for the hazard ratios appear inconsistent with the data. For instance, for the Australian data this would imply about double the numbers of recorded deaths as were reported in the paper.

The patient data were obtained through electronic health records, supply chain databases, and financial records. The data are held by the US company Surgisphere. In response to a request for the data Professor Mehra replied: “Our data sharing agreements with the various governments, countries and hospitals do not allow us to share data unfortunately.”

Given the enormous importance and influence of these results, we believe it is imperative that:
1. The company Surgisphere provides details on data provenance. At the very minimum, this
means sharing the aggregated patient data at the hospital level (for all covariates and
outcomes)
2. Independent validation of the analysis is performed by a group convened by the World
Health Organization, or at least one other independent and respected institution. This would entail additional analyses (e.g. determining if there is a dose-effect) to assess the validity of the conclusions
3. There is open access to all the data sharing agreements cited above to ensure that, in each jurisdiction, any mined data was legally and ethically collected and patient privacy aspects respected

In the interests of transparency, we also ask The Lancet to make openly available the peer review comments that led to this manuscript being accepted for publication.

This open letter is signed by clinicians, medical researchers, statisticians, and ethicists from across the world. The full list of signatories and affiliations can be found below.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Sharing of data is rather the point of publication.

You identify a number of Prof. Park's elements of "Voodoo Science."

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

One of the authors is the founder of the company that collected and analyzed the data. They may consider it to be proprietary. Not that there's anything right with that. I don't know how common it is to publish datasets for journal articles. Given the pandemic, full transparency would be in order.

A supplement has been published--supplementary information is a common practice for journal articles.

https://www.thelancet.com/cms/10.1016/S ... 9/mmc1.pdf
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I think The Lancet got hoodwinked. There's going to be an embarrassing retraction. But how long until?
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Not that I am convinced yet that hydroxychloroquine actually works for COVID, I'm still agnostic on that point, which is why I'm awaiting the randomized double-blinded placebo controlled trials that have been "paused".

Every day that these trials are paused, thousands of people are dying around the world. Also millions of people are out of work. Hydroxychloroquine may not be the answer to all those problems, but we kinda need a high quality study to show whether it works one way or the other.

More questions raised from statistics guys at Columbia University:

https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/ ... ne-update/
William Shakespeare
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Read something somewhere about the glut of COVID-19 trials resulting in difficulty recruiting people to participate. Can't run a clinical trial without test subjects.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

corplinx wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:34 pm
Anaxagoras wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:58 pm Strange though that ongoing clinical trials would be paused out of safety concerns in the middle of an ongoing pandemic. Did the pandemic end and nobody sent me the memo? Or is the science so settled that there's no point in continuing them?
Due to the Lancet study using the very suspect data from the company nobody knows anything about.

If the shit was unsafe, we wouldn't have people with Lupus taking it.

People need to use common sense sometimes to see through the deceptions. They will rattle off a list of Hydroxy side effects they heard on the media, and not realize how rare they actually are. Meanwhile, they have a medicine cabinet full of over the counter drugs with interactions and safety warnings.

What killed more people last year? Anti-Malarials or Tylenol.

It's horse shit reporting. It is disinformation. The media should be ashamed. They should fire their science editors for not calling BS on these things.

These pills were uncontroversial globally, until Trump said he felt good about them.
A stats guy weighs in:

http://freerangestats.info/blog/2020/05 ... -data-firm

I decided not to quote anything from that page, as he goes into great detail about the company involved in the Lancet article.

Suffice to say...wow.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Pyrrho wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:00 am I decided not to quote anything from that page, as he goes into great detail about the company involved in the Lancet article.

Suffice to say...wow.
Definitely the end of the line on credibility for Lancet - that should have been pretty easy to see through, now I've read that. Wow is right.

The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

corplinx wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:23 am The problem is that people living in an Orwell novel usually aren't aware of it.

Truth seems strange.
Depends which one you mean - he wrote a few and several of them are relevant.

Unless you're confirming being a member of the Inner Party, I'm not sure whether you think you're Winston Smith, Snowball, Gordon Comstock or George Bowling. I don't think Dorothy's a contender and Flory's dead.

Which is a pity, because he's the character you remind me of most.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Well, Fake Science isn't really a new phenomenon. It's happened many times in the past. I remember a case in Japan several years ago. I don't know if the motive had anything to do with Trump. It was probably more to advance someone's career. It may have had something to do with why the Lancet didn't do enough due diligence to confirm the integrity of the data and rushed it to publication. The paper seemed to confirm something that the publisher probably already wanted to believe. Or just sloppiness and incompetence.

It's another example of "too good to be true". The population size of the study was at least an order of magnitude higher than any previous study, and there were only four authors, three of whom were cardiologists from the same hospital. No infectious disease experts or statisticians. No acknowledgements of all the other people and institutions that would have had to be involved in gathering data for a study of this scale. It just doesn't pass the sniff test.
William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

Coronavirus: South Korea closes schools again after biggest spike in weeks

More than 200 schools in South Korea have been forced to close just days after they re-opened, due to a new spike in virus cases.

Thousands of students had earlier on Wednesday returned to school as the country began easing virus restrictions.

But just a day later, 79 new cases were recorded, the highest daily figure in two months.

Most of these cases have been linked to a distribution centre outside Seoul.

The warehouse, in the city of Bucheon, is run by the country's biggest e-commerce firm Coupang, and officials have said the facility was not strictly complying with infection control measures. Health officials even discovered traces of Covid-19 on workers' shoes and clothes.

It's possible that South Korea will continue to see a rise in cases as it continues to test thousands of employees from the centre.

Some 58 new cases were recorded on Friday, bringing the total number of cases nationwide to 11,402.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52845015
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Japan may also be having an uptick already. Might just be a blip in the data but the last 2 days have seen more new cases than any other day since 5/14.

https://toyokeizai.net/sp/visual/tko/covid19/en.html

And the effective reproduction number is over 1 again:

William Shakespeare