Fukushima one year on

We are the Borg.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Fukushima one year on

Post by sparks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:41 pm

"That's for the non radioactive ruined reactor building."

If non-radioactive, then how's it ruined?

Windscale: Shitty design all for the sake of weapons grade plutonium. Operator error as well. And now what's left of it (those pieces which couldn't be properly shielded and hauled away) is a fucking radioactive slag-heap. Shit happens all the time. Meh.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:06 pm

sparks wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:41 pm
"That's for the non radioactive ruined reactor building."

If non-radioactive, then how's it ruined?
It was ruined by economics. Once they shut the reactor down, which they did, it's never going to run again. This is TMI 1
robinson wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:42 pm
That's for the non radioactive ruined reactor building.
TMI 2 is the one with the metldown.
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

robinson

Post by robinson » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:07 pm

Idiot
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:09 pm

At some point, you're going to realize that you have more than sufficient number of characters to do all your silly ramblings in one post.

I'm too old to care but all your ramblings are for naught. Nuclear is the only solution.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:17 am

Dipshit said: "It was ruined by economics. Once they shut the reactor down, which they did, it's never going to run again. This is TMI 1 "

Granted. In future, you may want to communicate a bit more specifically so as to avoid a "Failure To Communicate".

And fuck you too jizz hound. :)

robinson

Post by robinson » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:03 pm

sparks wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:41 pm
Shit happens all the time. Meh.

The 2015 Gold King Mine waste water spill was an environmental disaster that began at the Gold King Mine near Silverton, Colorado,[2] when Environmental Protection Agency personnel, along with workers for Environmental Restoration LLC (a Missouri company under EPA contract to mitigate pollutants from the closed mine), caused the release of toxic waste water into the Animas River watershed. They caused the accident while attempting to drain ponded water near the entrance of the mine on August 5.[3] After the spill, the Silverton Board of Trustees and the San Juan County Commission approved a joint resolution seeking Superfund money.[4]

Contractors accidentally destroyed the plug holding water trapped inside the mine, which caused an overflow of the pond, spilling three million US gallons (eleven thousand cubic metres) of mine waste water and tailings, including heavy metals such as cadmium and lead, and other toxic elements, such as arsenic,[5] beryllium,[5] zinc,[5] iron[5] and copper[5] into Cement Creek, a tributary of the Animas River and part of the San Juan River and Colorado River watershed.[6] The EPA was criticized for not warning Colorado and New Mexico about the operation until the day after the waste water spilled, despite the fact the EPA employee "in charge of Gold King Mine knew of blowout risk."[7]

The EPA has taken responsibility for the incident, but refused to pay for any damages claims filed after the accident on grounds of sovereign immunity, pending special authorization from Congress or re-filing of lawsuits in federal court.[8]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Gold_King_Mine_waste_water_spill

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:24 am

Fukushima to be reborn as $2.7bn wind and solar power hub

Twenty-one plants and new power grid to supply Tokyo metropolitan area

TOKYO -- Japan's northeastern prefecture of Fukushima, devastated during the 2011 earthquake and nuclear disaster, is looking to transform itself into a renewable energy hub, Nikkei has learned.

A plan is under way to develop 11 solar power plants and 10 wind power plants in the prefecture, on farmlands that cannot be cultivated anymore and mountainous areas from where population outflows continue.

The total cost is expected to be in the ballpark of 300 billion yen, or $2.75 billion, until the fiscal year ending in March 2024.

The government-owned Development Bank of Japan and private lender Mizuho Bank are among a group of financiers that have prepared a line of credit to support part of the construction cost.

The power generation available is estimated to be about 600 megawatts, or equivalent to two-thirds of a nuclear power plant. The produced electricity will be sent to the Tokyo metropolitan area.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Energy ... -power-hub

robinson

Post by robinson » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:58 pm

The good news is clear enough. No matter what happens to a solar farm or a wind mill, it doesn't make your homeland uninhabitable for pretty much forever.

sparks

Post by sparks » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Wind farms cause cancer. Trump said so.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:43 pm

sparks wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 pm
Wind farms cause cancer. Trump said so.
What did he actually say?

All I know is, Illinois is still getting lots of federal money for wind farms. While I certainly don't give Trump credit, if he had seriously tried to stop it I think I would have heard about it.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

sparks

Post by sparks » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:49 pm

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... ancer-cla/

Nothing much, just blowing more smoke out his ass.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:35 am

Climate Change Is Breaking Open America's Nuclear Tomb

The Marshall Islands say that plutonium is leaking into the Pacific Ocean from the concrete dome the U.S. built to dispose of nuclear waste.

During the Cold War, the United States nuked the Marshall Islands 67 times. After it finished nuking the islands, the Pentagon dropped biological weapons on the islands. Once the U.S. was finished, it scooped the irradiated and ruined soil from the islands, poured it into a crater left behind from a nuclear detonation, mixed it all with concrete, and covered the whole thing in a concrete dome. They called it “The Tomb.” According to a report from The Los Angeles Times, climate change is breaking that dome open. Rising sea levels and temperatures are cracking open The Tomb, threatening to spill nuclear waste into the Pacific Ocean.

The U.S. has largely dismissed its responsibility to the Marshall Islands. It relocated many of its people and claims the cost of relocation and installation of The Tomb at the Enewetak Atoll covers its liability. As sea levels and temperatures rise, however, the Tomb is cracking. As it cracks, water rushes over it, leaching out plutonium and dumping it into the sea.

The U.S. has said The Tomb is now the Marshall Islands’ responsibility.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3kxm ... clear-tomb

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:21 am

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:04 pm

What's breaking open America's nuclear tomb is that it was slapped together in a hurry in the first place to make certain troublemakers shut up about it. So without trying to refute climate change in general, I call bullshit.

What we see is some folks trying to avoid responsibility and make political hay about something the needs to be fixed quickly, separate from whatever must be done about climate change.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:40 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:04 pm
What's breaking open America's nuclear tomb is that it was slapped together in a hurry in the first place to make certain troublemakers shut up about it. So without trying to refute climate change in general, I call bullshit.

What we see is some folks trying to avoid responsibility and make political hay about something the needs to be fixed quickly, separate from whatever must be done about climate change.
It's kind of a weird situation but we're paying ~$75m a year continuously in what amounts to reparations for deeds not really done. I think the danger of leakage approaches zero for the next 500 or so years. Were the dome to completely crack, the worst that could happen is that the nastiness in it would leech into the ocean and be so diluted as to be non-substantial. There simply is no there, there. There are no people there. There are fish, and I wish them the best.

robinson

Post by robinson » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:47 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:40 pm
Were the dome to completely crack, the worst that could happen is that the nastiness in it would leech into the ocean and be so diluted as to be non-substantial.
This is actually the level of ignorance one encounters when trying to educate about the dangers of fission by products, the extremely dangerous and radioactive materials.

robinson

Post by robinson » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:48 pm

By this logic, the solution to spent fuel rods is to simply dump them into the oceans.

Meanwhile, at Fukushima they are really trying to not let any of the material reach the ocean.

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Wonder if anyone has done an analysis on what's actually there and taken readings on how radioactive it is?

Article says Plutonium is leaching into the ocean. How? This site was a bomb test site, not a reactor test site nor a spent fuel dump site. Just how much of the Plutonium trigger survives the detonation of a hydrogen bomb? Not very damn much I'm guessing. (Will Google and report back)

Then there's this gem: "“It was only a matter of two or three years before women on the island started to give birth to things less than human,” a Marshall Islands woman told diplomats on a fact finding mission decades later. Birth defects are so common on the islands that the people have a number of words to describe them, among them marlins, devils, jellyfish children, and grape babies."

Pretty sure if the Marshallese had been that irradiated, they'd simply have died without reproducing 'jellyfish children and grape babies'. Sounds like Vice is twisting shit for the sake of the fear factor, and of course, the Marshallese don't want to see their little gravy train stop. Ever.
Last edited by sparks on Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:12 pm

No info on how much (if any) Plutonium survives detonation in a Hydrogen bomb. And wildly conflicting info on how much Plutonium an H-bomb starts with. From 2 or 3 kilograms all the way up to 10 times that and beyond.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:46 am

Wikipedia wrote:Trinity and Fat Man atomic bombs

The first atomic bomb test, codenamed "Trinity" and detonated on July 16, 1945, near Alamogordo, New Mexico, used plutonium as its fissile material.[42] The implosion design of "the gadget", as the Trinity device was code-named, used conventional explosive lenses to compress a sphere of plutonium into a supercritical mass, which was simultaneously showered with neutrons from the "Urchin", an initiator made of polonium and beryllium (neutron source: (α, n) reaction).[31] Together, these ensured a runaway chain reaction and explosion. The overall weapon weighed over 4 tonnes, although it used just 6.2 kg of plutonium in its core.[81] About 20% of the plutonium used in the Trinity weapon underwent fission, resulting in an explosion with an energy equivalent to approximately 20,000 tons of TNT.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium for more.