Minoan Ship Replica To Sail Seas

We are the Borg.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Minoan Ship Replica To Sail Seas

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:42 am

<a href="http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20030 ... ml">Minoan Ship Replica To Sail Seas</a>
Since no wreck of a Minoan ship has ever been found, Apostolos Kourtis has had to start from scratch, relying on ancient drawings and using the same methods as the Minoans who lived on the Mediterranean island of Crete from around 3000 B.C.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Goshawk

Post by Goshawk » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:06 am

Cool, but...it's old news, dude. ;) Look at the date.

He got it afloat in June, plus he got his wish: it's one of the Olympic flame's legs next month.

http://www.thenational.com.pg/0602/ship2.htm
Replica of 3,500-year-old Minoan ship sets sail on maiden voyage

ATHENS: The world’s only replica of the Minoan ships that plied the Mediterranean Sea some 3,500 years ago set sail from the Greek island of Crete on Saturday for its maiden voyage before serving in one of the final legs of the Olympic flame’s global journey.

The Minoa, named after the Cretan culture that flourished before its extinction by a violent volcano eruption around 1500 BC, headed for Piraeus, the main port serving the capital Athens, powered by the toil of 26 oarsmen, port authorities said.

Built at an ancient Venetian shipyard in the port of Chania on Crete by a team of naval archeology enthusiasts, the Minoa is 17 meters (56 feet) long and 3.8 metres (12 feet) wide, made of cyprus logs tied together with rope.

The privately financed Minoa cost 880,000 euros (one million dollars) to build.

The ship, whose name is carved on the hull in the Minoans’ Linear B, one of Greece’s oldest alphabets, is expected to take 16 days to cover nearly 200 nautical miles, making two-day calls at ports every 15 nautical miles or so before reaching Piraes on June 28.

The Minoa will be displayed in Athens from July 1 to August 4 before carrying the Olympic flame from Psytalia, a nearby island, to Piraeus on August 11, two days ahead of the start of the Games, organizers said.

It will remain moored until September 14 at the marina of Zea, near Piraeus, where an exhibit on naval archeology is planned in September.
Good photo of it here.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:30 am

Old news sure, but y'all had to know this.

It's good stuff.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale