new car buying....

We are the Borg.

Which car should i buy?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:08 am

The Insight. it rocks
43%
The new Echo. Consumer reports loves it.
No votes
Planet X model T
57%

Total votes: 7

bug_girl

new car buying....

Post by bug_girl » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:08 am

ok, at TOP i mentioned that my car had croaked, and i now have to get a new one. i managed to get it rolling again, and i think i have at least a month before the tranny goes out again.
SO: advice again. (and this sort of goes in technology, i think)
I have found a sweet 2002 Honda Insight with low milage, that was a corporate fleet car driven by Japanese CEOs. VIN check shows that it's never been in an accident. Price is right, although just at the far edge of what i can afford. it is also red 8)

I also looked at the Toyota Echo, which has good mileage and a conventional engine. However, it was about the most boring driving experience ever. It is a car, and it is a highly-ranked car. I can get a 2005 for about the same as used honda.

Do i go for zip and flash with super mileage, or the snore-fest, but reliable, Echo? Or, do i smack myself, get a grip, and buy a much older used car and save $$?

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:22 am

I have an Echo, and so I'll recommend it.

Go for one of those cool 2 door hatch backs if you can.

Sure, it may not be a hybrid, but the difference in price between it and an Insight will buy you A LOT of gas.

I just filled up yesterday. 753 km (468 miles) on 43.6 litres (9.5 gal US) of gas.

Check out this site, www.echofans.net . It's an owners message board.

There's stuff you can do to your Echo to make it more interesting to drive.

Good luck!

Edited to change gas volumes.
Last edited by Badger on Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nineteen tequilas later, we had a deal.
You are my density. (G. McFly)
As my daddy always said, always check the fine print for penectomies. (punchdrunk)
Opinions aren't like assholes, because I don't know anyone with a million assholes.
Bettie Page set the standard for fetish models. (selwynator12/5/2008 5:34:37 PM)
Rugby players eat their dead.

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:26 am

I'll push my car once again. Ford Focus. I'd like a hybrid, but I'll have to wait a few years before I can easily afford one. A Focus is affordable, cool looking (I think anyway, especially the hatchback), great mileage, speedy for a 4 cylinder, and highly maneuverable, great handling.
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

bug_girl

Post by bug_girl » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:31 am

poop! no hatchbacks in the US. And i have to wait for a manual transmission to be shipped from Japan--they are all automatics here.
In fact, it's been startlingly hard to find any manual trannys in any model. Everything is Automatic.

Edited to add: the focus didn't come out so well in consumer reports for reliability, hex. i got over 225,000 on each of my last two hondas. i like to get something and drive it forever.
Last edited by bug_girl on Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:52 am

Well, the 2 dr Echo without hatch is ok too. OR you could make a little shopping trip up to Canada to get the 3 door hatch! Your American $$ may go farther too.
As my daddy always said, always check the fine print for penectomies. (punchdrunk)
Opinions aren't like assholes, because I don't know anyone with a million assholes.
Bettie Page set the standard for fetish models. (selwynator12/5/2008 5:34:37 PM)

bug_girl

Post by bug_girl » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:59 am

I like the idea of a trip to canada. I'll have to investigate further......8)
(and i can refill all my prescriptions while i'm there, too!)

edited to add: oh dear. this may be a non-starter:
In this case, the importer must contract with a DOT-Registered Importer (RI) and post a DOT bond for one and a half times the vehicle's dutiable value. This bond is in addition to the normal Customs entry bond. Copies of the DOT bond and the contract with an RI must be attached to the HS-7 form.

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:41 am

Talk with your Toyota dealer. Maybe they can do something for you.

Otherwise, a black RS looks pretty darned cool.

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Post by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:03 pm

Criterion #1 should be: fun.

~~ Paul

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:56 pm

I can't believe you can't find a manual transmission. They're rare, but I had a Toyota Starlet (2-door hatchback) and a 'Yota FX16, both with 5 speed manuals. I'd love to get a hybrid, but only now are they getting big enough for them to practical as a family car. (Four member family won't fit in a 2 seater, unless the family's from Arkansas.)

Mr. Skinny

Post by Mr. Skinny » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:55 pm

I'm a big fan of manual transmissions and hatchbacks. They just work well for me. Specifically, I'm a VW Rabbit/Golf addict.

Currently, I have a 2002 VW GTI with a 1.8L turbocharged engine. Before that I've had:

1984 VW GTI
1980 VW Rabbit
1977 VW Rabbit
1975 VW Rabbit (crap - carburated, instead of fuel injected)
1969 VW Bug

Anyhow, if you like a manual transmission, go to VW. I read somewhere that over 40% of VW's USA sales are manual transmissions, so you should be able to find one there.

Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Post by Bearguin » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:04 pm

The new Jetta Diesels are pretty decent and get great gas mileage.

If I could pull my trailer with one, I'd be into it.

bug_girl

Post by bug_girl » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:22 pm

oops! don't bother voting in the poll, because it's a moot point now. (also, if you vote against what i just bought, i will feel bad.)

So, i TOTALLY fell in love with a 2001 Insight. such a sweet deal--20,000 miles! I also looked at the 2002, but it was actually bigger, and didn't fit as well. i would have had to sit on a phone book (which in a car as small as the insight, is just pathetic).
I drove a lot of other cars (corolla, camry, Echo) and this one was just the best. Please pray to deity/elder god of choice that this works out.

I am spending the evening reading the manual and self medicating with a pint of Ben and Jerry's. Spending large amounts of money is stressful!

(BTW, i got it at blue book price, which was ok by me since it is in such great condition.)
((PS BTW, the toyota dealer said that they now only have about 20% manual in stock, because only automatics sell. There is ONE new manual echo available in the midwest right now. I don't understand this, because you have so much more control with a stick.))

bug_girl

Post by bug_girl » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:24 pm

i forgot to add:
1. this one is silver
2. it does seem to be an effective chick/dude magnet, in case anyone else is considering one. That alone may be worth the price. :lol: 8)

Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:25 am

I voted for the Insight because you already bought it!! :D

Good luck with your newish vehical and may you pick up all the dude's (or chicks) you desire!! :lol:
Chani

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:09 am

Congratulations, Bug_Girl!

Those insights look pretty cool, and if you got it at a good price, all the better.

I think there's a lack of stick shifts being sold because people are lazy. I've heard folks saying they don't want to be bothered with all the shifting in traffic.

Personally, the only vehicle I hated was my 4x4 F150 which was automatic. I got bored driving it because there was nothing to do.

Again, congratulations to you! Many happy years of motoring pleasure!

bug_girl

Post by bug_girl » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:01 pm

In case anyone is interested, a picture of the new car is at TOP, in the "midlife crisis has begun" thread.
I love this car, and have a road trip planned for this weekend.
:D :P 8)

rebecca

Post by rebecca » Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:10 pm

bug_girl wrote:In case anyone is interested, a picture of the new car is at TOP, in the "midlife crisis has begun" thread.
I love this car, and have a road trip planned for this weekend.
:D :P 8)
Congrats bug, I'm glad you saved some $$$ and went with a slightly used model, it was the smart thing to do, I think. :)

Agammamon

Post by Agammamon » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:15 pm

bug_girl wrote:. . .So, i TOTALLY fell in love with a 2001 Insight. such a sweet deal--20,000 miles . . .
I liked the Insight also, I was originally going to by one and then went the other route and got a car that went fast rather than got excellent mileage.

'Course if I had bought the Insight I wouldn't have a huge monthly payment right now.
It will be a great day when the US Air Force has all the bombs it needs and the NEA has to hold a bake sale in order to pay its lobbyists.

voidx

Post by voidx » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:25 pm

Nigel wrote:I can't believe you can't find a manual transmission. They're rare, but I had a Toyota Starlet (2-door hatchback) and a 'Yota FX16, both with 5 speed manuals. I'd love to get a hybrid, but only now are they getting big enough for them to practical as a family car. (Four member family won't fit in a 2 seater, unless the family's from Arkansas.)
Rare? That's an understatment. Your the only other person I've ever met that admitted to having one :). No one ever knows what I'm talking about when I talk about my old Starlet. It was a trooper though. -40C and the manual choke and some foot pumping would make that little sucker start everytime. It felt like you were pushing the stick through molasses, but hey, it started :). I drove the crap out of that poor little car, and it took it all without complaint.

As for there being only automatics, while I personally think that is dumb, its not surprising. Many people especially in urban area's or who work in cities with busy traffic seem to prefer automatic due to stop and go traffic. Also many people don't seem to drive stick very well, or don't want to bother learning. The other factor is that I think the majority of new car purchases are probably made by couples or families, in which case either the husband or wife no being able, or not wanting to drive stick, rules it out in favour of automatic. To me though its worth it. Not only do manuals cost less, they also provide the only small sliver a fun in a car with gutless horsepower.
In the famous words of Dougall Maguire, "Whose that Ted?"