We are the Borg.
Witness

Re: Cool astronomy photos

Post by Witness »

Best watched fullscreen.

Witness

Post by Witness »

This long-exposure Hubble Space Telescope image of massive galaxy cluster Abell 2744 (foreground) is the deepest ever made of any cluster of galaxies. It shows some of the faintest and youngest galaxies ever detected in space.

The immense gravity in Abell 2744 is being used as a lens to warp space and brighten and magnify images of more distant background galaxies. The more distant galaxies appear as they did longer than 12 billion years ago, not long after the big bang.

The Hubble exposure reveals almost 3,000 of these background galaxies interleaved with images of hundreds of foreground galaxies in the cluster. Their images not only appear brighter, but also smeared, stretched and duplicated across the field. Because of the gravitational lensing phenomenon, the background galaxies are magnified to appear as much as 10 to 20 times larger than they would normally appear. Furthermore, the faintest of these highly magnified objects is 10 to 20 times fainter than any galaxy observed previously. Without the boost from gravitational lensing, the many background galaxies would be invisible.

The Hubble exposure will be combined with images from Spitzer and NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory to provide new insight into the origin and evolution of galaxies and their accompanying black holes.
https://www.nasa.gov/content/hubble-fro ... abell-2744

Witness

Post by Witness »

This is a real image (15 vertical shots) of the Uyuni salt flat. The Salar de Uyuni is so extraordinarily flat that after it rains it becomes the worlds largest mirror spanning over 130km. [ Image Credit & Copyright: Jheison Huerta ]
https://jheisonhuerta.com/sobre-jheison-huerta

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Moon & Venus as seen from Earth (composite image):

Witness

Post by Witness »

Cool simulation of a giant star:
3D models of AGB stars

Emergent surface intensity

The intensity movies show the star approximately as it might appear to the human eye (In detail: The emergent bolometric surface intensity is color coded with the standard "red-heat" table, to get a color representation adequate for a AGB star.). The "boiling" surface of the star shows irregular hot (white or yellow) and "cool" (red or dark-red) areas. They change their intensity and shape on time-scales of months.

https://www.astro.uu.se/%7Ebf/movie/intensity.html

And a supernova:

Witness

Post by Witness »

North Polar Changes over 6 Mars Years

MRO has been observing Mars for 6 Mars Years (MY), each of which lasts for 687 Earth days. Shown here is an impact crater on the north polar ice cap, which contains an icy deposit on the crater floor.

These inter-crater ice deposits shrink and expand or change shape or surface texture from year to year, In this animation, we can see the appearance of this crater fill in MY 29 (2/2008), 30 (8/2010), 31 (7/2012), 33 (2/2016), 34 (1/2018), and 35 (12/2019).

https://www.uahirise.org/ESP_062793_2655

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Interesting video about the red giant Betelgeuse, the shoulder of Orion.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

But has he seen attack ships off the shoulder of Orion?

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness »

Fid

Post by Fid »

Indeed, the floor rises for the puny humanzez to use our big 'ole dick of conquest.

Bite me Percy Lowell....
seriously bro, a frying pan as dust cover?

Edit to add:
Oops, sorry wrong big ole dick of conquest.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Hills, Ridges, and Tracks on Mars
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap200126.html

Must be seen full screen to be appreciated.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Curiosity after seven years on Mars:

:figamagee:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Wow, has it been 7 years already?

Still going strong I see, if a little dirtier. :D
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

Can magnetic fields help tell us how spiral galaxies form and evolve? To find out, the HAWC+ instrument on NASA's airborne (747) SOFIA observatory observed nearby spiral galaxy M77. HAWC+ maps magnetism by observing polarized infrared light emitted by elongated dust grains rotating in alignment with the local magnetic field. The HAWC+ image shows that magnetic fields do appear to trace the spiral arms in the inner regions of M77, arms that likely highlight density waves in the inflowing gas, dust and stars caused by the gravity of the galaxy's oval shape. The featured picture superposes the HAWC+ image over diffuse X-ray emission mapped by NASA's NuSTAR satellite and visible light images taken by Hubble and the SDSS. M77 is located about 47 million light years away toward the constellation of the Sea Monster (Cetus).
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap191216.html

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Magnetic fields boggle my mind on the molecular level. To see magnetic fields extend in loops over the surface of the sun that can fit several Jupiters is beyond what I can comprehend. And now to see magnetic field patterns extending across an entire galaxy.....:HairRaising:
Such potential!

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson »

Electric Universe shit right there
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

Witness

Post by Witness »

Newest solar telescope produces first images

Preeminent telescope to play critical role in better understanding sun, space weather

The National Science Foundation's Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope has released its first images. They reveal unprecedented detail of the sun's surface and preview the world-class products to come from this preeminent 4-meter solar telescope.

Details: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 131449.htm

Witness

Post by Witness »

Two comets (green, left: C/2017 O1; white, center: C2015 ER61) and the Pleiades:

Photo Damian Peach/Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year: https://www.sciencealert.com/we-are-com ... f-the-year

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

That is very cool. We're seeing the Milky Way there in the background too, if I'm not mistaken.

A green comet is cool. Anything green can't be a star. Stars come in red, orange, yellow, white and blue. But not green.
William Shakespeare