Fukushima one year on

We are the Borg.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Fukushima one year on

Post by sparks »

I, for one, would be deeply cheered if they could (would) simply tell us where all the missing core material is.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

What about the volunteers who entered the premises in early weeks to try to contain the mess. Are any of them still alive?
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.
DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

There were no fatalities from Little Boy. Coincidentally, at the time it was dropped, there were a radiation blast and shock waves that took out a bunch of people. Rob would have survived by smoking pot to manage his stress. :p
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.
DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

We have nothing to fear from war, pestilence, and famine, but fear itself.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

DrMatt wrote:What about the volunteers who entered the premises in early weeks to try to contain the mess. Are any of them still alive?
If some died in a car crashes, or a heart attacks, or from accidents, would you want to count that?

The answer is, according to wiki,
The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster has no confirmed casualties from radiation exposure, though six workers died due to various reasons, including cardiovascular disease, during the containment efforts or work to stabilize the Earthquake and Tsunami damage to the site.[9]

The United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR), released a report on the Fukushima accident April 2, 2014. It stated that the scientists have found no evidence to support the idea that the nuclear meltdown in Japan in 2011 will lead to an increase in cancer rates or birth defects.[10]
I know that doesn't sit well with you. But look on the bright side: the fear of all things nuclear keeps coal plants in use. And they kill 1000's per year. The number might be one, possibly even two (UN estimates) orders of magnitude more, but I like to be conservative.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

But coal plants are not nuculer, Listy, and they do not explode[!--Ed.]

Did Gen. Curtis "Fossil Fuels Away" LeMay order Col. Paul Tibbets to drop a coal plant on Hiroshima?

Well?

I win.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

And let's not forget that Evil Coal Plants produce more radiation than Nukular plants do.

(Unless, of course, the core is out wandering around the plant for a breath of fresh air or something..............) :)
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Why do you support core enslavement, sparks?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
sparks

Post by sparks »

BWAHAHAHAHA :)
hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk »

sparks wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:What's the death count up to, Robinson?
That rather depends on who's spinning the story. Some say there is no 'death count' while others are actually including stress related casualties in the count.
Nothing like a nuclear heart attack, or stroke, or ???.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Actually, there is some talk of heart attacks having a connection with chronic radiation exposure. But I know of no reliable studies that back that up. At least one of the crew that were on long term work detail at Chernobyl dropped dead, but that really could've been a lot of things. There was a documentary on these guys. They were the crew that tunneled underneath the damned thing and then filled that all up with new concrete in an attempt to contain what was left of the core iirc.
hammegk

Post by hammegk »

sparks wrote:Actually, there is some talk of heart attacks having a connection with chronic radiation exposure. But I know of no reliable studies that back that up. At least one of the crew that were on long term work detail at Chernobyl dropped dead, but that really could've been a lot of things. There was a documentary on these guys. They were the crew that tunneled underneath the damned thing and then filled that all up with new concrete in an attempt to contain what was left of the core iirc.
I'd guess over-assertion, pant, pant, puff.
hammegk

Post by hammegk »

sparks wrote:Actually, there is some talk of heart attacks having a connection with chronic radiation exposure. But I know of no reliable studies that back that up. At least one of the crew that were on long term work detail at Chernobyl dropped dead, but that really could've been a lot of things. There was a documentary on these guys. They were the crew that tunneled underneath the damned thing and then filled that all up with new concrete in an attempt to contain what was left of the core iirc.
I'd guess over-exertion, pant, pant, puff.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

--J.D.

sparks

Post by sparks »

If there is a connection, I predict it will end up being a subtle one that will take one hell of a long time to show beyond reasonable doubt. If it were me, I'd start looking at early radiation therapy techs (50s and 60s) cause of death and see if there is an elevated cardiac element in there.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

If I understand your point correctly, you will have a lot of confounding variables. How many of those smoked or still smoke, for example?

Did any of them listen to country western music?

--J.D.

robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Post by robinson »

Cancer in children, or childhood leukemia, you can see the drastic increase even just using the literature method.

The stout hearted nuclear believer will never accept that the above ground bombs had anything to do with it of course. The true nuclear believer doesn't believe nuclear has ever caused much of a problem. In any way really.

It's an astounding look at science denial.
DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Guns don't kill people. The guns carried by the Armed Forces are a formality.
robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Post by robinson »

Not that the drastic increase since 1947 of all cancers, but especially almost unheard of cancers in children, not that it is proof it was the radiation. There was also an increase in radioactive fertilizer at the time. But nobody really knows.

Which is bullshit of course. Of course some people know, they even proved it. Baby teeth were a source of discovering the radiation load that populations received word wide. It was the drastic increase in radioactive material from bomb tests, in childrens teeth, that forced the above ground test ban.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Doctor X wrote:If I understand your point correctly, you will have a lot of confounding variables. How many of those smoked or still smoke, for example?

Did any of them listen to country western music?

--J.D.
Indeed. And that is why I doubt such a connection will ever be shown. Too much background noise. The very definition of country western music! :)