We are the Borg.
robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Re: Fukushima one year on

Post by robinson » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:19 am

sparks wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:31 pm
One more time and then I'm done with this fucking thread:
No, you will never be done with it. Just like Japan will never be done with the Fukushima disaster.
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:40 am

Bananas?-Yes wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:22 am
I have some living quarters and sort of office I work out of off-and-on and it is a very unusual sort of complex owned by an old family in this city and so we have a very strange arrangement there --- for some background.

Now on the second floor of that building there are two side-by-side
apartments and then a second smaller building just to the west of that one which also shares the same balcony and so the stairs; so I and the neighbor between my group of rooms and that smaller building have to pass that smaller apartment any time we go up and down and that fella in that smaller place was very particular in his habits and so if I were to stay there for any length of time I would be able to hear him go down the stairs at the same time every morning and then fire up his motorcycle just next to the stairs and so on. Now there are times I am not there for extended periods, so I am also keeping scant supplies there so as not to let things spoil if I am gone for lengthy periods of time. There is no real pattern to my ins-and-outs there.

So one week when I was in for an extended period of time I started to realize that I wasn't hearing that heavy footsteps going down those
metal stairs at the proper time nor no sound of the motorcycle, but I can't say as it really bothered me. Folks living in that compound are not exactly the normal types, if I can be rough with the description of the mixed group we have spread out there over a few acres. It is a strange place and the rest of the city folks around there look upon us inside that place as to be wary of. And we certainly don't have social gatherings around there and don't really know much about each other, which is why it is used by some odd folks, like me. We greet each other politely but curtly, if the need arises; and no small talk except maybe weather related and very short. I didn't know that fella in that smaller group of rooms to the west, except he kept his car and motorcycle in good condition and kept the area around his door clean. It is an oddly large type of balcony arrangement --- only two floors in all the many buildings --- some other buildings I notice the residents get messy. We don't have that problem in that building or that smaller one just to the west. He seemed an okay fella. Sort of like y'all here in this Community.

Anyway, maybe three or four days after that no-normal-sounds (the buildings are very old built style [50 - 60 yrs old] of wood and easy to hear those with a heavy walking style) of that fella going in and
out I needed to go get some supplies and when I came back about 2000hrs or so (getting on dark) I came through the complex and around the corner of another building and I see a whole mess of medics on the second floor of that smaller building where the motorcycle guy lived and a few law enforcement folks and down on the ground floor at the bottom of the stairs and eventually when I identified myself as the last resident down the balcony to the east they let me up the steps and to my place and I would say about halfway up, or two-thirds up, the steps that horrible smell hit me and, of course, it was worse and worse as I rounded that railing edge and passed that fella's door and then I knew right away he'd been dead in there for a few days and I also realized I had completely forgotten that smell from way, way back in my earlier days.

That is not the kind of smell one easily forgets if they are unfortunate to have to smell it. And I remember when I was much younger I did not forget it even years later and honestly thought
I would never forget it and I found out not too long ago I was wrong. And being reminded of that smell was a very unpleasant experience.
Somewhere there, there's a there there.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:44 pm

And the coroners report said?

I rather doubt it was radiation sickness and therefore had fuck all to do with Fukushima.

But by all means, continue to conflate things when you post here because it's awfully amusing in a troll-like sort of way. :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:15 pm

Wow
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
My indifference is boundless :x
[img]/img]

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:37 pm

Removal of spent nuclear fuel at Fukushima No. 1 delayed up to five years

The government decided Friday to delay the removal of spent fuel from the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant’s Nos. 1 and 2 reactors by up to five years, casting doubt on whether it can stick to its time frame for dismantling the crippled complex.

The process of removing the spent fuel from the units’ pools had previously been scheduled to begin in fiscal 2023.

In its latest decommissioning plan, the government said the plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc., will not begin the roughly two-year process at the No. 1 unit at least until fiscal 2027 and may wait until fiscal 2028.

Work at the No. 2 unit is now slated to start between fiscal 2024 and fiscal 2026, it said.

The delay is necessary to take further safety precautions, such as the construction of an enclosure around the No. 1 unit to prevent the spread of radioactive dust and the decontamination of the No. 2 unit, the government said. It is the fourth time it has revised its schedule for removing the spent fuel rods.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... gptenBhCUk

Seems a tad tricky, uh?

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:46 pm

Shouldn't be. All they're trying to do is unburden the spent fuel rod pools. Wonder where the hell they're planning to send all those used fuel rods?

The melted reactor core(s) material is a whole other real fucking tricky ball game. If they knew for certain it hadn't gone through the bottom of the plant(s) and into the earth beneath, it'd be easy enough just to encase the mess of shit in concrete. Not such a good idea until they know where it all is and what its condition is.

robinson

Post by robinson » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:04 am

sparks wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:46 pm
All they're trying to do is unburden the spent fuel rod pools.
Hahahahahaha

Ha!

Goddamn you are ignorant. Is it willful? Or real ignorance?
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:15 am

Witness wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:35 am
Climate Change Is Breaking Open America's Nuclear Tomb
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3kxm ... clear-tomb
Update:
US atomic waste dump in Marshall Islands to be investigated

The US Congress has demanded an investigation into a concrete dome full of nuclear waste, threatened by rising sea levels in the Marshall Islands.

Dubbed "the tomb", it holds tonnes of radioactive debris from dozens of US atomic bomb tests carried out during the Cold War.

Congress wants the Department of Energy to report back on the state of the ageing Runit Dome within six months.

The demand is part of a huge defence bill approved by President Trump.

More than 40 nuclear weapons tests took place on or near the Enewetak Atoll in the Pacific between 1946 and 1958, including a bomb test on Runit Island.

The crater from that blast was used from the 1970s by the Defense Nuclear Agency to store nuclear waste. It was later covered in thick concrete slabs to form the 377ft (115 metre) protective dome.

There are concerns that the structure is deteriorating and could be vulnerable to sea-level rise caused by climate change.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50951981

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:47 pm

robinson wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:04 am
sparks wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:46 pm
All they're trying to do is unburden the spent fuel rod pools.
Hahahahahaha

Ha!

Goddamn you are ignorant. Is it willful? Or real ignorance?
Go yuck yourself troll.

robinson

Post by robinson » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:59 am

robinson wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:19 am
sparks wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:31 pm
One more time and then I'm done with this fucking thread:
No, you will never be done with it. Just like Japan will never be done with the Fukushima disaster.
:knock:

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:42 am

About that measles endemic.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:48 am

I will just put this これ. . . .

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:14 pm

Yea, since none of the Fukushima reactors exploded like Chernobyl (you did not see graphite!!!), the surrounding area is significantly radiologically cleaner.

Inside the reactor buildings is fucked of course, but one expects this with a melt through.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:56 am

So not great, not terrible?

– J.D.