Big Bug...What is it, anyway?

We are the Borg.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Big Bug...What is it, anyway?

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:38 am

The kids found this in one of their rooms. Measures 1.5 inches when not curled up. Has a yellow face, reddish eyes. Big.

http://psandoval.0catch.com/index.html

Bleah. Can't hotlink. Can't link at all. Bleah. Fix it later.

Ok, fixed so it shows on the linked page. If you have popup blockers, turn them on. That site has a lot of popups. I really need to find a better place for a web page.

SquishyDave

Post by SquishyDave » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:54 am

Looks like a wasp to me. Yup, very wasp-like.
Squishy doesn't irritate the hell out of me. - [url=http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10266]Quester_X[/url]
We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.

DaveH

Post by DaveH » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:51 am

Would it be a European wasp?
Nunc Tutus Exitus Computarus

MRC_Hans

Post by MRC_Hans » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:58 am

Wasp. Definitely a wasp. There are many kinds of wasps, perhaps the red eyes will help identify it.

Hans
[i]Fly pretty, anyone can fly safe...[/i]

lothian

Post by lothian » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:05 am

Looks like a wasp but I thought it was too big at 1.5 inches long. However they do come in sizes up to 2 inches

Reginald

Post by Reginald » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:43 am

Shit me! We dont have wasps that big! :shock:

That's not one of those killer Japanese hornet things is it?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... rnets.html

Christ that thing looks like it could snatch the newspaper out of your hand and strike back!

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:02 pm

Christ that thing looks like it could snatch the newspaper out of your hand and strike back!
Which would serve you right, for swatting at it in the first place! Poor hornet. :D
You'll all be mine, in the end.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:37 pm

Guess it's a Giant Hornet:

http://www.no-pest.com/VespidWasps.htm

Sure looks the same to me. Oh, well, so much for that excitement.

Sundog

Post by Sundog » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:44 pm

That's nothing. Ever seen a vinegaroon?

www.petbugs.com/caresheets/M-giganteus.html

I found one in my basement once. Scared the living shit out of me. One of the joys of living in the desert...

This picture doesn't really do it justice. It's a small one. The one I found was larger and had nasty looking red bits.

Reginald

Post by Reginald » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:35 am

Sundog wrote:That's nothing. Ever seen a vinegaroon?

I found one in my basement once. Scared the living shit out of me. One of the joys of living in the desert...

This picture doesn't really do it justice. It's a small one. The one I found was larger and had nasty looking red bits.
That's a still from "Starship Troopers".....................I hope. :)

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:53 am

Holy shit! I nearly jumped out of my seat when I saw that!
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

bug_girl

Post by bug_girl » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:45 pm

you guys are woosies! try looking up a wind scorpion.
(solipugidae)

((yes, i'm back, now that ignore is up and running, and i can avoid General wanna-wanker.))

it is a wasp. but you guys didn't even need me to tell you that. :?

gentlehorse

Post by gentlehorse » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:02 am

bug_girl wrote:you guys are woosies! try looking up a wind scorpion.
(solipugidae)

((yes, i'm back, now that ignore is up and running, and i can avoid General wanna-wanker.))

it is a wasp. but you guys didn't even need me to tell you that. :?
Here's one:

http://library.thinkquest.org/28855/cam ... ?tqskip1=1

Scarin' me--

Edited to fix the link.
[size=75]"How can the third-person requirements of the scientific method be reconciled with the first-person nature of consciousness?" Win

"Oh Holy gravity,
the mother of all powers,
what you do to us,
the children of the stars" pillory[/size]

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:09 am

gentlehorse wrote:
Here's one:

http://library.thinkquest.org/28855/cam ... ?tqskip1=1

Scarin' me--

Edited to fix the link.
Looks like they've followed the troops back to Australia, so now Aussies have one more crawling critter to worry about!

SquishyDave

Post by SquishyDave » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:36 am

bug_girl wrote:it is a wasp. but you guys didn't even need me to tell you that. :?
Awww don't be like that, we'll always need you, maybe not always for your bug skills, but eternally for your company.
Squishy doesn't irritate the hell out of me. - [url=http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10266]Quester_X[/url]
We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.

Dagon (JREF's Psi Baba)

Post by Dagon (JREF's Psi Baba) » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:30 pm

As I was skimming down the page and read the entry for "Diet" I only saw the first word which was "babies." :shock:
Can it core a apple?

exarch

Post by exarch » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:46 pm

lothian wrote:Looks like a wasp but I thought it was too big at 1.5 inches long. However they do come in sizes up to 2 inches
I was stung by something hornet-like once (I'm sure it wasn't a wasp because it was larger, and wasps are more yellowish in colour while this thing was almost orange).

Anyway, what convinced me it wasn't a wasp was the fact that wasp stings don't swell up like that. It stung me in the hand (between the knuckles) and both those fingers and the back of my hand swelled up until my skin just couldn't stretch any further :shock:

Did I mention it hurt just a tad more than a normal wasp sting :cry:
[size=75]Lord high emperor Skinny-god's first heir to the throne[/size]

gentlehorse

Post by gentlehorse » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:16 pm

exarch wrote:
Anyway, what convinced me it wasn't a wasp was the fact that wasp stings don't swell up like that. It stung me in the hand (between the knuckles) and both those fingers and the back of my hand swelled up until my skin just couldn't stretch any further :shock:
I don't know. I've been stung by a few red wasps in my time. Usually, there's some localized swelling but not much to write home about. One time, though, a red wasp stung me on my right nostril. It hurt, of course, but I didn't give it much thought until people around me started asking me if I was feeling okay. One thing led to another and I eventually went inside to have a look in the mirror. My whole face was puffy. Within thirty minutes, or so, of looking in the mirror, my face was swollen so much that I was unrecognizable. I wasn't having any trouble breathing or anything, so I popped some benadryl and chilled until the swelling went down. My point, if I have one, is that it seems possible that folks may react to wasp venom differently from sting to sting. Or maybe the one that got me on the nose hit me with a larger dose than did the others. Like I said, I don't know for sure.

While I'm on about stings, one time I got zapped between the nuckles by a little brown scorpion (I was carrying a load of fire wood up a bluff). It felt pretty much like a wasp sting, which is to say that it felt as though somebody was putting out a cigarette between my nuckles. I didn't swell up much, but when the initial swelling went away, I was left with a small spot of swelling (about the size of a BB) that was quite firm. It stayed with me for about six months. Odd stuff, bug venom--
[size=75]"How can the third-person requirements of the scientific method be reconciled with the first-person nature of consciousness?" Win

"Oh Holy gravity,
the mother of all powers,
what you do to us,
the children of the stars" pillory[/size]

bug_girl

Post by bug_girl » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:39 pm

exarch wrote:I was stung by something hornet-like once (I'm sure it wasn't a wasp because it was larger, and wasps are more yellowish in colour while this thing was almost orange).
I hate to tell you this, but there really isn't much more than a semantic difference between wasps and hornets. They are very closely related, and those are common names that apply to a wide variety of wasps. (hymenoptera, if you want to be picky)

also, here's a *much* better picture of a solipugid--although there are some factual errors on the site :(
http://kaweahoaks.com/html/wind_scorpian.htm
scroll down for a look at the "jaws" in action.

Reginald

Post by Reginald » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:11 pm

You know, the more of these things I see, the happier I am that I live in England.

:shock: