Post by Rob Lister »

Machines ain't got much on these fucks

Witness

Re: Humans Need Not Apply

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:32 pm
I see you're a friend of the proletariat.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Witness wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:12 am
Will women give up their dildos though?
Love that sentence!

Some are working on it:

:P 2
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:08 am
Rob Lister wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:32 pm
I see you're a friend of the proletariat.
as long as they do their fucking job, sure.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Humans fight back:
Boeing abandons its failed fuselage robots on the 777X, handing the job back to machinists

After enduring a manufacturing mess that spanned six years and cost millions of dollars as it implemented a large-scale robotic system for automated assembly of the 777 fuselage, Boeing has abandoned the robots and will go back to relying more on its human machinists.

Boeing said Wednesday it is adopting a different approach that “has proven more reliable, requiring less work by hand and less rework, than what the robots were capable of.”

The robotic system entailed holding the large curved metal panels that make up the 777 fuselage sections right-side up in a cradle as the moving robots stitched the panels together, drilling holes and adding tens of thousands of fasteners.
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... achinists/

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

What you see here is one group of workers showing solidarity with another group of workers by refusing to be scabs. :coolspecs:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Has Marx been translated to Fortran?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Witness wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 am
Has Marx been translated to Fortran?
No.

But I bet Walter Reuther has. :P

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

OK. This story isn't about sexbots as such, but it might be relevant to future developments.

Holograms you can 'feel'
Space Daily

Now scientists in Britain say they can make even more realistic 3D versions -- a butterfly, a globe, an emoji -- which can be seen with the naked eye, heard and even felt without the need for any virtual reality systems.

Writing in the journal Nature, a team at the University of Sussex in southern England, said technology currently in use can create 3D images but they are slow, short-lived and "most importantly, rely on operating principles that cannot produce tactile and auditive content as well".

To fill in the picture, so to speak, the team created a prototype called Multimodal Acoustic Trap Display (MATD) which "can simultaneously deliver visual, auditory and tactile content".

This uses what is known as "acoustophoresis" -- sound waves that move and manipulate an object, in this case particles -- to form an image in a small box containing arrays of very small speakers.

Witness

Post by Witness »

General Election 2019: How computers wrote BBC election result stories

For the first time, BBC News published a news story for every constituency that declared election results overnight - all written by a computer.

It was the BBC's biggest test of machine-generated journalism so far.

Each of nearly 700 articles - most in English but 40 of them in Welsh - was checked by a human editor before publication.

The head of the project said the tech was designed to enhance the service provided rather than to replace humans.

"This is about doing journalism that we cannot do with human beings at the moment," said Robert McKenzie, editor of BBC News Labs.

"Using machine assistance, we generated a story for every single constituency that declared last night with the exception of the one that hasn't finished counting yet. That would never have been possible [using humans]."

Several news organisations are testing automated journalism as a way of covering data-driven stories more efficiently.

The technology can quickly produce stories focused on numbers, such as football scores, company financial reports - and general election results.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50779761

Fid

Post by Fid »

" automated journalism"... Ya know that Mars thing is looking better.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

"The head of the project said the tech was designed to enhance the service provided rather than to replace humans."

Bullshit. The head of the project is at best a naive sonofabitch. And at worst, a fucking liar. Either way, three in the head and two in the chest.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Indeed, he fools no one. But as we did with camcorders for television, we will make robots to read automated journalism for us. :P

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

And then the "New Dark Ages" will begin. The Orange Fucktard will reign forever over The Dumbth.

Somebody please sanction that sonofabitch? I mean, even in the White House, it can be made to look like an accident, right? :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I'm not sure humans have anything to worry about here.

The playing was soulless and poorly executed. I'm not the best guitar player but that was terrible. I wonder if the programmer actually plays. I'm thinking not. Or not well. But it's a step!

It should sound more like this:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Oh yeah? It can still beat you at chess. :p

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Uniqlo's robots have already replaced 90% of its human workers at its flagship warehouse, now they've cracked the difficult task of folding T-shirts
Uniqlo is coming close to full automation at its flagship warehouse in Tokyo.

According to a new report from The Financial Times, Uniqlo's owner – apparel giant Fast Retailing – has partnered with Mujin, a Japanese startup that develops industrial robots, to create a new two-armed robot that is able to pick up t-shirts and box these up to be sent out to customers. This was a task that could previously only be done by a human.

This is an important innovation as it could enable this factory, which has already replaced 90% of its workers with robots, to roll out a fully automated process.

In an interview with The FT, a Fast Retailing executive who focuses on the development of its supply chain, stressed the importance of such innovations in Japan at this time.

"It's becoming extremely difficult to hire workers, and it's a lot more than people think," Fast Retailing executive vice president Takuya Jimbo said. "We have to be the frontrunner and continue trial and error because only the companies that can update their business models can survive."
At least, it's becoming extremely difficult to hire workers willing to do repetitive, manual tasks for low wages. And Japan isn't big on bringing in foreign workers to do those jobs either, although that's changing a bit.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

GM requests green light to ditch steering wheel in its self-driving cars

Cruise, the autonomous-car unit of General Motors, wants to start testing its self-driving cars sans steering wheel. Indeed, it’s already produced a video [not worth watching] showing what such a design might look like.

Current National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regulations, which were created at a time when self-driving cars were the stuff of science fiction, mean that vehicles have to include essential safety features such as a steering wheel and brake pedal. But the emergence of robot cars has put these rules under the spotlight.

According to a recent Reuters report, the NHTSA has confirmed it’s in talks with GM, which is asking for permission to test a limited number of autonomous cars without steering wheels or any other type of manual controls.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/gm-r ... ving-cars/

"Or any other type of manual controls"… Relying on Gogle maps for navigation? :twisted: