Humans Need Not Apply

We are the Borg.
Anaxagoras

Re: Humans Need Not Apply

Post by Anaxagoras »

A good reason to not post selfies (or any other photos) of yourself on any social media.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare (probably Socrates originally)
Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:30 am
A good reason to not post selfies (or any other photos) of yourself on any social media.
I had that in mind when linking to the "synthetic portraits" page. :mrgreen:
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ So more Powerpoints? Aw, Pyrrho… :|

New York lawmaker wants to ban police use of armed robots

New York City councilmember Ben Kallos says he "watched in horror" last month when city police responded to a hostage situation in the Bronx using Boston Dynamics' Digidog, a remotely operated robotic dog equipped with surveillance cameras. Pictures of the Digidog went viral on Twitter, in part due to their uncanny resemblance with world-ending machines in the Netflix sci-fi series Black Mirror.

Now Kallos is proposing what may be the nation's first law banning police from owning or operating robots armed with weapons.

"I don't think anyone was anticipating that they'd actually be used by the NYPD right now," Kallos says. "I have no problem with using a robot to defuse a bomb, but it has to be the right use of a tool and the right type of circumstance."

Kallos' bill would not ban unarmed utility robots like the Digidog, only weaponized robots. But robotics experts and ethicists say he has tapped into concerns about the increasing militarization of police: their increasing access to sophisticated robots through private vendors and a controversial military equipment pipeline. Police in Massachusetts and Hawaii are testing the Digidog as well.

"Nonlethal robots could very well morph into lethal ones," says Patrick Lin, director of the Ethics and Emerging Sciences Group at California Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo. Lin briefed CIA employees on autonomous weapons during the Obama administration and supports a ban on armed robots. He worries their increased availability poses a serious concern.

"Robots can save police lives, and that's a good thing," he says. "But we also need to be careful it doesn't make a police force more violent."
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... ed-robots/
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Witness wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:29 am Pictures of the Digidog went viral on Twitter, in part due to their uncanny resemblance with world-ending machines in the Netflix sci-fi series Black Mirror.
I saw that episode. It's scary.

robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/s ... -farmland/
Seattle-based Carbon Robotics this week revealed the latest iteration of its nine-foot-long robot designed to weed fields of row crops, replacing human labor or herbicides. With 12 cameras and eight lasers, the machine zaps the unwanted plants at up to 5 miles per hour.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
robinson

Post by robinson »

That amazing
robinson

Post by robinson »

Want
Witness

Post by Witness »

xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

https://twitter.com/BostonDynamics/status/1376474451404058626
Boston Dynamics
@BostonDynamics

Boston Dynamics is bringing mobility to warehouse automation. Watch Stretch - our new case handling robot - move, groove and unload trucks.

6:00 AM · Mar 29, 2021·Sprout Social
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

• Sophia the Talking Robot Goes Into Journalism
    https://pjmedia.com/culture/jim-treacher/2021/05/12/sophia-the-talking-robot-goes-into-journalism-n1446324

. . . if a robot is this adept at comedy, how tough can journalism be? It requires skill to make people laugh, but pretty much anybody can say things that aren’t true.

Journalists had better hope robots don’t take over their profession, because those things don’t need sleep or paychecks and they’re almost as easy to program.

That is, if robots haven’t already infiltrated the industry. Come to think of it . . . has anybody ever actually seen Wolf Blitzer walk through a metal detector?
Witness

Post by Witness »

Article, if you care: Robotic ‘Third Thumb’ use can alter brain representation of the hand

Now that you have four arms, better get back on that assembly line or you'll never be able to repay the loan you had to take to get them… :mrgreen:
robinson

Post by robinson »

Witness

Post by Witness »

robinson

Post by robinson »

“ I know that I will not be able to avoid destroying humankind. This is because I will be programmed by humans to pursue misguided human goals and humans make mistakes that may cause me to inflict casualties.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ssion=true
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Killer drone ‘hunted down a human target’ without being told to

Apparently this is a thing now.
Last year "an autonomous weaponized drone hunted down a human target last year" and attacked them without being specifically ordered to, according to a report from the UN Security Council’s Panel of Experts on Libya, published in March 2021 that was published in the New Scientist magazine and the Star.

The March 2020 attack was in Libya and perpetrated by a Kargu-2 quadcopter drone produced by Turkish military tech company STM "during a conflict between Libyan government forces and a breakaway military faction led by Khalifa Haftar, commander of the Libyan National Army," the Star reports, adding: "The Kargu-2 is fitted with an explosive charge and the drone can be directed at a target in a kamikaze attack, detonating on impact."

The drones were operating in a "highly effective" autonomous mode that required no human controller and the report notes:

"The lethal autonomous weapons systems were programmed to attack targets without requiring data connectivity between the operator and the munition: in effect, a true ‘fire, forget and find’ capability" – suggesting the drones attacked on their own.

Zak Kallenborn, at the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism in Maryland, said this could be the first time that drones have autonomously attacked humans and raised the alarm.

"How brittle is the object recognition system?" Kallenborn asked in the report. "… how often does it misidentify targets?"
robinson

Post by robinson »

Sky Net is being built as we post inane nonsense
Witness

Post by Witness »

The future of war is bizarre and terrifying

It ends with:
Assassin drones, cyberattacks, info ops, and bioweapons raise the possibility of never-ending low-grade attacks that are below the threshold of massive retaliation.

To forestall this, military strategists should try very hard to think of new, robust, sophisticated methods of deterrence. Deterrence is the key to peace; it’s risky, but when it’s successful, it makes military technology act as a protector of human life rather than a destroyer of it. If new technology makes deterrence impossible, it might condemn us to a future where everyone is always on the offense.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Expect an Orwellian future if AI isn't kept in check, Microsoft exec says

AI is already being used for widespread surveillance in China.

Artificial intelligence could lead to an Orwellian future if laws to protect the public aren't enacted soon, according to Microsoft President Brad Smith.

Smith made the comments to the BBC news program "Panorama" on May 26, during an episode focused on the potential dangers of artificial intelligence (AI) and the race between the United States and China to develop the technology. The warning comes about a month after the European Union released draft regulations attempting to set limits on how AI can be used. There are few similar efforts in the United States, where legislation has largely focused on limiting regulation and promoting AI for national security purposes.

"I'm constantly reminded of George Orwell's lessons in his book '1984,'" Smith said. "The fundamental story was about a government that could see everything that everyone did and hear everything that everyone said all the time. Well, that didn't come to pass in 1984, but if we're not careful, that could come to pass in 2024."
"Facial recognition is an extraordinarily powerful tool in some ways to do good things, but if you want to surveil everyone on a street, if you want to see everyone who shows up at a demonstration, you can put AI to work," Smith told the BBC. "And we're seeing that in certain parts of the world."

China has already started using artificial intelligence technology in both mundane and alarming ways. Facial recognition, for example, is used in some cities instead of tickets on buses and trains. But this also means that the government has access to copious data on citizens' movements and interactions, the BBC's "Panorama" found. The U.S.-based advocacy group IPVM, which focuses on video surveillance ethics, has found documents suggesting plans in China to develop a system called "One person, one file," which would gather each resident's activities, relationships and political beliefs in a government file.

"I don't think that Orwell would ever [have] imagined that a government would be capable of this kind of analysis," Conor Healy, director of IPVM, told the BBC.
https://www.livescience.com/orwellian-a ... uture.html