Humans Need Not Apply

We are the Borg.
Witness

Re: Humans Need Not Apply

Post by Witness »

Not really AI, but being in the continuity of "computing impacting the arts", here it goes:
Musician uses algorithm to generate every possible melody to prevent copyright lawsuits

A musician and lawyer has used an algorithm to generate every possible melody in an attempt to end music copyright lawsuit claims.

Working with programmer Noah Rubin, Damien Riehl built software capable of generating 300,000 melodies each second, creating a catalogue of 68 billion 8-note melodies.

The melodies were then copyrighted and released into the public domain in the hope of stifling litigious musicians.

Citing famous examples of music copyright infringement lawsuits, Mr Riehl said his motivation was to demonstrate that the number of possible melodies is finite and therefore liable to patterns being repeated unintentionally.

This was the case when George Harrison was sued for allegedly stealing the melody of My Sweet Lord from He's So Fine by the Chiffons, according to Mr Riehl. The litigation lasted for nearly three decades, during which the former Beatle was found guilty of "subconscious plagiarism" by a US judge.

More recently, singer Sam Smith was forced to settle a copyright dispute with Tom Petty over the apparent likeness between his Grammy-winning song Stay With Me and Petty's hit I Won't Back Down.

Smith claimed he had never heard Petty's song, nor the three-note descending melody in the chorus that he was accused of stealing. The UK musician's representative at the time said the likeness was "a complete coincidence" but an out-of-court settlement saw Petty credited as co-writers of the track.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 64536.html

"Three-note descending melody". :roll:

It amuses me as it's exactly Boris Vian's suggestion: let a computer generate once and for all every possible ditty, copyright it, and be done with them. (As he died in 1959, the project wasn't implemented.)

Here you can see him playing the trumpet with his brothers:

But he's mostly known for his songs, books & plays.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

The real problems for free roaming robots has always been the exact same problems as humans have

Energy source, illness, being kidnapped, robbed or making mistakes
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:54 pm
Smith claimed he had never heard Petty's song, nor the three-note descending melody in the chorus that he was accused of stealing. The UK musician's representative at the time said the likeness was "a complete coincidence" but an out-of-court settlement saw Petty credited as co-writers of the track.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 64536.html

"Three-note descending melody". :roll:
Sorry to necro this point, but genuinely the first time, very first time I heard Smith's song I thought, "hes nicked some of that" and named Petty's tune as its father.

Ymmv.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:02 pm
Witness wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:54 pm "Three-note descending melody". :roll:
Sorry to necro this point, but genuinely the first time, very first time I heard Smith's song I thought, "hes nicked some of that" and named Petty's tune as its father.

Ymmv.
No need to be sorry.

Can't judge that particular case as I'm not interested in pop music, but my beef was with combinatorics: there are only that much (I'll leave the details to you) three notes descending melodies. (Staying within an octave and avoiding dissonance, I presume.)
If we admit so small a unit as a creation with enforced copyright we'd have run out of music a long time ago.

My guess is that the similarity you noticed isn't just in the melody (rhythm, timbre, mood, sound of the respective groups, even lyrics perhaps…).
Witness

Post by Witness »

Singapore Using Social Distancing Robot to Fight COVID-19

While Singapore has fared better than others during the COVID-19 pandemic, they are still doing their best to enforce social distancing. Along with new regulations, the country is turning to an imposing robot to remind citizens to keep their distance.

Meet the 0-R3. It comes from local company Otsaw. The security robot has been deployed to places like parks and footpaths. It rolls around warning people to keep a safe distance and letting them know if they are getting too close to one another. The 0-R3 says things like “Please practice safe distancing at all times and do not loiter at this park – stay safe, stay home.”

Social Distancing Robot Collects Data and Video

Along with sensors that help the robot navigate, a 360-degree camera collects data and video that is sent for security officers to review. The robot can cover about 2.5 miles before it needs to be recharged.

Singapore initially commissioned the robots for security surveillance at reservoirs across the country. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 0-R3’s role was changed into that of a “social distancing ambassador”
https://yellrobot.com/singapore-social- ... -covid-19/

Obey!
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Smith 1:00

Petty everywhere

Witness wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:24 pm
My guess is that the similarity you noticed isn't just in the melody (rhythm, timbre, mood, sound of the respective groups, even lyrics perhaps…).
All of that except lyrics I guess. Might be a coincidence, can't be sure, but it's a little "close."

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:34 pm All of that except lyrics I guess. Might be a coincidence, can't be sure, but it's a little "close."
Indeed, very close, and even in the lyrics similarity of "stay" and "stand".
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Tom would not have minded. After Stevie Nicks ate his soul, nothing much mattered to Tom.
Witness

Post by Witness »

AI cannot be recognised as an inventor, US rules

An artificial intelligence system has been refused the right to two patents in the US, after a ruling only "natural persons" could be inventors.

The US Patent and Trademark Office rejected two patents where the AI system Dabus was listed as the inventor, in a ruling on Monday.

US patent law had previously only specified eligible inventors had to be "individuals".

It follows a similar ruling from the UK Intellectual Property Office.

Dabus designed:
  • interlocking food containers that are easy for robots to grasp
  • a warning light that flashes in a hard-to-ignore rhythm
And its creator, physicist and AI researcher Stephen Thaler, had argued that because he had not helped it with the inventions, it would be inaccurate to list himself as the inventor.

But patents offices insist innovations are attributed to humans - to avoid legal complications that would arise if corporate inventorship were recognised.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-5 ... %40BBCTech

Take that, you filthy silicon scum! :twisted:
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

I think they should sue and Patrick Stewart serve as their attorney.

( Hah. I said *they* and not *it*. Take that technophobes.)

Witness

Post by Witness »

This AI Poet Mastered Rhythm, Rhyme, and Natural Language to Write Like Shakespeare

“Deep-speare” crafted Shakespearean verse that most readers couldn’t distinguish from human-written poems

Here’s a stanza from a sonnet written by William Shakespeare:

And here’s one written by Deep-speare, an artificial intelligence program that we trained to write sonnets:

Deep-speare’s creation is nonsensical when you read it closely, but it certainly “scans well,” as an English teacher would say—its rhythm, rhyme scheme, and the basic grammar of its individual lines all seem fine at first glance. As our research team discovered when we showed our AI’s poetry to the world, that’s enough to fool quite a lot of people; most readers couldn’t distinguish the AI-generated poetry from human-written works.

Our team, composed of three machine-learning researchers and one scholar of literature, trained our AI poet using about 2,700 sonnets taken from the online library Project Gutenberg. Our “poet” learned how to compose poetry on its own, using the AI approach known as deep learning—it cranked through the poems in its training database, trying again and again to create lines of poetry that matched the examples. We didn’t give it rhyming dictionaries, pronunciation dictionaries, or other resources, as has often been the case in previous computer-generated poetry projects. Instead, Deep-speare independently learned three sets of rules that pertain to sonnet writing: rhythm, rhyme scheme, and the fundamentals of natural language (which words go together).
https://spectrum.ieee.org/artificial-in ... hakespeare

Long way to go… :|
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

I suppose the faux old fashioned script is just to put you in the mood or something. :roll:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:22 pm I suppose the faux old fashioned script is just to put you in the mood or something. :roll:
I noticed that too. It's the "soft lighting" of text.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Sex robots so realistic you can 'hear heartbeat and breath' in AI breakthrough
Daily Star (UK)
Sex robots so realistic you can hear their heartbeat and breath are set to hit the market, Daily Star Online can reveal.

Doll supplier Sex Doll Genie (SDG) says the groundbreaking dolls are in production and will be powered by artificial intelligence (AI).

This gives them their very own human-like heartbeat and breath that customers will be able to hear.

Amit, a co-founder at SDG, told Daily Star Online: "For one of the brands we have now, it's called AI AI-Tech, who have taken the next leap and have added some AI to it.

"There is one coming out by the end of this year where you can hear the heartbeat and hear them breathe.

At least so says the industry hype.

Video at link. Still looks creepy animatronic if you ask me.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

What passes for "Artificial Intelligence" these days, is sometimes pretty cool, but still not really Turing Test level AI.
William Shakespeare
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Not Turing Test level AI of course, but is it really necessary for them to look like wax dummies?

I mean I get how a cleverly formulated, molded and warmed piece of plastic could arguably be better than a hand full of Jergen's lotion, but there's a definite creepy Madame Tussaud vibe abut this.

It's understood that anything might be a fetish to somebody, and the expense might appeal to a taste for conspicuous consumption, but is it merely that I am of the sexual moiety not targeted that I find this creepy?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

No, it is creepy. I think it's in the creepy part of the uncanny valley.
William Shakespeare
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

I like that dress.

robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:44 pm Relevant?

Japan's creepy sex doll industry 'reaches next level' in creation of perfect artificial £1,000 ‘Dutch Wife’ which comes with 'realistic feeling skin'
Daily Mail (UK)
... The dolls, which are non inflatable, are sold under the name 'Dutch Wives', a Japanese term for a sex doll, and adverts in the media boast that anyone who buys one will never want a real girlfriend again. ...
Of course some guys might fancy a girlfriend who moves around a little, at least in bed.

Wait a year or two.
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris