Humans Need Not Apply

We are the Borg.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Re: Humans Need Not Apply

Post by robinson »

More than likely we will see people hooking this shit up to the pleasure centers, and clicking the button until they die in their chair
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Or a way to murder someone.
Death by Ecstasy by Larry Niven.
Murder mystery set in the future.

Anyone else here remember it? :oldman:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
robinson

Post by robinson »

That’s the story I was thinking of
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

robinson wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:11 pm More than likely we will see people hooking this shit up to the pleasure centers, and clicking the button until they die in their chair
Yeah, just imagine. Seriously, people will fuck themselves up if you can use it to get high.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

If access to the holodeck is "socialized" there won't need to be armies of killer robots to solve the human question.

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ A dearth of guinea pigs? You know some people will do anything to be "different". :mrgreen:

Machine-Generated Knowledge Bases

Human-generated knowledge bases like Wikipedia have a recall problem. First, there are the articles that should be there but are entirely missing. The unknown unknowns.

We are publicly releasing free-licensed data about scientists that we’ve been generating along the way, starting with 30,000 computer scientists. Only 15% of them are known to Wikipedia. The data set includes 1 million news sentences that quote or describe the scientists, metadata for the source articles, a mapping to their published work in the Semantic Scholar Open Research Corpus, and mappings to their Wikipedia and Wikidata entries. We will revise and add to that data as we go. (Many thanks to Oren Etzioni and AI2 for data and feedback.) Our aim is to help the open data research community build better tools for maintaining Wikipedia and Wikidata, starting with scientific content.

We trained Quicksilver’s models on 30,000 English Wikipedia articles about scientists, their Wikidata entries, and over 3 million sentences from news documents describing them and their work. Then we fed in the names and affiliations of 200,000 authors of scientific papers.

In the morning we found 40,000 people missing from Wikipedia who have a similar distribution of news coverage as those who do have articles. Quicksilver doubled the number of scientists potentially eligible for a Wikipedia article overnight.

It also revealed the second flavor of the recall problem that plagues human-generated knowledge bases: information decay. For most of those 30,000 scientists who are on English Wikipedia, Quicksilver identified relevant information that was missing from their articles.

Creating an article for a person is only the start. It must be maintained forever, updated as the world changes. The vast majority of information on Wikipedia is known to be correct and well cited, even after more than a decade of stunts and studies to prove otherwise. But as Fetahu et al. showed last year, Wikipedia lags significantly behind news about people and events.
https://primer.ai/blog/quicksilver for details.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

robinson

Post by robinson »

Yeah, until somebody shits all over the men’s room
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Well OK. it's not a human that it replaces exactly, but ...

SlothBot slowly monitors the environment, adorably
Boing Boing
Gennaro Notomista, a PhD student in the Robotics and InTelligent Systems Laboratory at Georgia Tech, has created a unique alternative to drone monitoring, now commonly used in land management. Drones are not very energy efficient and can't remain in the air for very long. Notomista decided to look to nature for inspiration. Low-powered nature. The sloth.

His SlothBot moves along a series of wires. It is solar powered. It never needs a charge as it goes about its slow-mo business of monitoring an environment.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Amazon warehouses that employ robots have 50 PERCENT more serious injuries than all-human facilities, new report reveals
  • A new report accuses Amazon of hiding a 'mounting injury crisis'
  • Serious injuries at fulfillment centers are nearly twice the industry norm
  • Facilities with robots have even higher rates due to increased production goals
  • Amazon insists the high numbers are due to the firm encouraging employees to report even minor injuries
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... thout.html
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:51 am
Amazon warehouses that employ robots have 50 PERCENT more serious injuries than all-human facilities, new report reveals
  • A new report accuses Amazon of hiding a 'mounting injury crisis'
  • Serious injuries at fulfillment centers are nearly twice the industry norm
  • Facilities with robots have even higher rates due to increased production goals
  • Amazon insists the high numbers are due to the firm encouraging employees to report even minor injuries
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... thout.html
From the article,
Today, Amazon uses more than 200,000 robotic vehicles, called 'drives,' in dozens of its 175 fulfillment centers.
:shock:

That can't be even close to right. It is the Daily Fail but that still, that's not even trying to be credible. I might believe 200. Hell, I might believe 1000.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:57 am From the article,
Today, Amazon uses more than 200,000 robotic vehicles, called 'drives,' in dozens of its 175 fulfillment centers.
:shock:

That can't be even close to right. It is the Daily Fail but that still, that's not even trying to be credible. I might believe 200. Hell, I might believe 1000.
According to Business Insider, 45,000 as of January 2017 with a 50% yearly increase: https://www.businessinsider.in/Amazon-n ... 315471.cms

45,000 * 1.54 ~ 230,000.
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

How many human employees?

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:43 am How many human employees?
https://www.google.com/
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

No. I do my research here! :p

robinson

Post by robinson »

Robots can’t file lawsuits
robinson

Post by robinson »

Yet
Witness

Post by Witness »

Long article, perhaps interesting to history buffs (excerpts, evidently):
Fake video threatens to rewrite history. Here’s how to protect it

AI-generated deepfakes aren’t just a problem for politics and other current affairs. Unless we act now, they could also tamper with our record of the past.

Since deepfakes burst onto the scene a few years ago, many have worried that they represent a grave threat to our social fabric. Creators of deepfakes use artificial intelligence-based neural network algorithms to craft increasingly convincing forgeries of video, audio, and photography almost as if by magic. But this new technology doesn’t just threaten our present discourse. Soon, AI-generated synthetic media may reach into the past and sow doubt into the authenticity of historical events, potentially destroying the credibility of records left behind in our present digital era.

In an age of very little institutional trust, without a firm historical context that future historians and the public can rely on to authenticate digital media events of the past, we may be looking at the dawn of a new era of civilization: post-history. We need to act now to ensure the continuity of history without stifling the creative potential of these new AI tools.
This is the age of post-history: a new epoch of civilization where the historical record is so full of fabrication and noise that it becomes effectively meaningless. It’s as if a cultural singularity ripped a hole so deeply in history that no truth can emerge unscathed on the other side.
Without reliable digital primary source documents—and without an ironclad chronology in which to frame both the documents and their digital context—the future study of the history of this period will be hampered dramatically, if not completely destroyed.

Potential solutions
  • Maintain better historical archives
  • Train computers to spot fakes
  • Call in the moderators
  • Authenticate trustworthy content
  • Create a universal timestamp
  • Restrict access to deepfake tools
  • Build a cryptographic ark for the future
https://www.fastcompany.com/90549441/ho ... -deepfakes
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:47 pm Long article, perhaps interesting to history buffs (excerpts, evidently):
Fake video threatens to rewrite history. Here’s how to protect it
https://www.fastcompany.com/90549441/ho ... -deepfakes
The whole article is well worth the read.
Witness

Post by Witness »

U.S. government agencies to use AI to cull and cut outdated regulations

(This Oct 16 story restores dropped words in first paragraph to say tens of thousands of pages, not tens of pages; corrects fourth paragraph to say 185,000 pages remaining, not published annually)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) said Friday that federal agencies will use artificial intelligence to eliminate outdated, obsolete, and inconsistent requirements across tens of thousands of pages of government regulations.

A 2019 pilot project used machine learning algorithms and natural language processing at the Department of Health and Human Services. The test run found hundreds of technical errors and outdated requirements in agency rulebooks, including requests to submit materials by fax.

OMB said all federal agencies are being encouraged to update regulations using AI and several agencies have already agreed to do so.

Over the last four years, the number of pages in the Code of Federal Regulations has remained at about 185,000.

White House OMB director Russell Vought said the AI effort would help agencies “update a regulatory code marked by decades of neglect and lack of reform.”
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN27130L

Big scale Turing test: will the AIs sneak in some self-serving rules? :mrgreen: