Anaxagoras wrote:Norovirus. That may not actually be the company's fault. One sick employee can do that. When I was visiting my parents a couple weeks ago there was an outbreak at a local golf tournament. Still, bad news for Chipotle.
And now the Fed's join Lister's Blame Them All To Hell movement.
http://www.newser.com/story/218578/feds ... break.html
Now the restaurant chain has been slapped with a federal subpoena as part of a criminal investigation into a food poisoning outbreak in August, the AP reports. The subpoena received in December mandates that Chipotle produce "a broad range of documents" in regard to a norovirus outbreak at its restaurant in Simi Valley, Calif., which Bloomberg notes sickened 234 customers and workers.
This case isn't even the most publicized of Chipotle's recent health scares: A norovirus outbreak in Boston sickened more than 140 college students in late 2015, and an E. coli outbreak in nine states sickened more than 50, Bloomberg notes. The company's numbers are already hurting: Shares are down 37% over the past three months, per the Wall Street Journal, and Fox News reports that Chipotle predicts sales will fall 14.6% for 2015's fourth quarter—the first drop since the company went public in 2006.
It looks like that one employee certainly gets around.
Also from the "It Can Happen to Anybody" department, here's a report from the Virginia Beach health inspection of one of their stores.
Observation (CORRECTED DURING INSPECTION): A food employee failed to wash his or her hands before engaging in food preparation, after touching bare human body parts, after coughing, sneezing, eating, after handling soiled utensils or after engaging in any activity which may have contaminated his/her hands.
Correction: Instruct food employees to clean their hands and exposed portions of their arms immediately before engaging in food preparation including working with exposed food, clean equipment and utensils, and unwrapped single-service and single-use articles and during food preparation, as often as necessary to remove soil and contamination and to prevent cross contamination when changing task.
To be fair, no all inspections of all stores were this terrible. http://healthspace.com/Clients/VDH/VBea ... f/home.xsp
One more outbreak and they'll get bought out by Taco Bell. Who, BTW has utterly revamped their menu. There are some pretty decent and varied menu items of late.