5.5 quake in SoCal today

We are the Borg.
EvilYeti

5.5 quake in SoCal today

Post by EvilYeti » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:48 am

Strongest quake to hit San Diego in two decades.

http://eqinfo.ucsd.edu/special_events/2 ... ndex.shtml

I was working on a faulty raid server in the machine room at the time, would have been quit ironic if the rack collapased and killed me. :lol:

Edit: Check out the groovy realtime SoCal seismic map !!! Currently lots of aftershocks in the SCI region.

Last edited by EvilYeti on Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

rwald

Post by rwald » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:59 am

On some level, I almost feel gypped; I've been in Pasadena for the better part of a year, and I've yet to experience a quake. Then again, it's usually not advised to wish for natural disasters to occur...
For the record, I don't actually know anything. Not even this.

Ever wondered what being a Caltech undergrad was like?
[url=http://caltizzle.caltech.edu]caltizzle.caltech.edu[/url]

LibraryFox

Post by LibraryFox » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:19 am

Wasn't even enough to move the mouse on my computer up in hillcrest. If your rack fell over from that you'd need to worry about accidental bumps just trying to work on it. Certainly didn't interrupt the starcraft game.
-LF

EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:37 am

LibraryFox wrote:Wasn't even enough to move the mouse on my computer up in hillcrest. If your rack fell over from that you'd need to worry about accidental bumps just trying to work on it. Certainly didn't interrupt the starcraft game.
Funny, my housemate in North Park freaked, said our computer desks almost fell apart. Then again, we built them so thats to be expected.

I just saw my old boss from IGPP get interviewed, the talking heads got their facts backwards and said he predicted two quakes now. Which is really funny considering that he always has been very clear that he won't make predictions and even carefully explained that at the news conference. Boy is he gonna be pissed!

Iconoclast

Re: 5.5 quake in SoCal today

Post by Iconoclast » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:24 pm

EvilYeti wrote:I was working on a faulty raid server in the machine room at the time, would have been quit ironic if the rack collapased and killed me. :lol:
Ironic how?

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:09 pm

LibraryFox wrote:Wasn't even enough to move the mouse on my computer up in hillcrest.
Well, it certainly moved the building I live in (Point Loma). I was quite worried until I got out on the street and saw the locals shrugging their shoulders .... :oops:

EvilYeti

Re: 5.5 quake in SoCal today

Post by EvilYeti » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:27 am

Iconoclast wrote:
EvilYeti wrote:I was working on a faulty raid server in the machine room at the time, would have been quit ironic if the rack collapased and killed me. :lol:
Ironic how?
Inside joke, there have been lots of complaints at TOP about how long its taken for their tech guy to get the new server up. He citied problems with the RAID as causing the delays, so I thought it would be ironic if a similar problem resulted in grave injury or death on my part.

In retrospect, its really not very funny or ironic after all. :roll: