Roman roads on flood maps

We are the Borg.
Witness

Roman roads on flood maps

Post by Witness »

Mail Online wrote:Long-lost Roman roads discovered on flood maps: Hi-tech Lidar data reveals the route of 2,000-year-old highways across Britain

Aerial flood maps of the UK are revealing more than just at-risk regions
New laser technologies are helping archaeologists unearth Roman roads
Amateur history sleuths have discovered seven ancient roads since 2013
The lasers are able to trace the routes because Romans raised their roads higher than ground level

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... itain.html

robinson
Title: Nice guy

Re: Roman roads on flood maps

Post by robinson »

Wow. Those fucking Romans new a thing or two about building roads
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

robinson2
Title: Not a bot

Post by robinson2 »

You are the reason we can't have nice things!
I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that

robinson
Title: Nice guy

Post by robinson »

It's actually pretty fucking cool how new tech, or new ways to use tech, expands our knowledge of the world. A similar thing was done in Central America. Using Lidar they mapped a bunch of areas. And realized there is literally a magnitude more ancient shit there than anybody ever dreamed. Even the wildest estimates of how many people and how big the civilization was, didn't come close.

I sometimes think the reason you don't hear about it more, is that it makes modern people feel bad.

What made me think of this was the "raised roadways" thing. Mayans and others used raised roadways, so they could be used in the rainy season.

It's mind blowing to realize 1500 years ago, there was a civilization that was twice the size of England, with advanced roadways, but they didn't use the wheel.
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬