Amusing Science

We are the Borg.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Amusing Science

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

I 100% approve, and I especially appreciate the detail of it being rotary.

However, my dream phone is like that but touch tone, because I need those to get through certain automated menus.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Ecosystem effects of the world’s largest invasive animal

Abstract

The keystone roles of mega‐fauna in many terrestrial ecosystems have been lost to defaunation. Large predators and herbivores often play keystone roles in their native ranges, and some have established invasive populations in new biogeographic regions. However, few empirical examples are available to guide expectations about how mega‐fauna affect ecosystems in novel environmental and evolutionary contexts. We examined the impacts on aquatic ecosystems of an emerging population of hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibus) that has been growing in Colombia over the last 25 years. Hippos in Africa fertilize lakes and rivers by grazing on land and excreting wastes in the water. Stable isotopes indicate that terrestrial sources contribute more carbon in Colombian lakes containing hippo populations, and daily dissolved oxygen cycles suggest that their presence stimulates ecosystem metabolism. Phytoplankton communities were more dominated by cyanobacteria in lakes with hippos, while bacteria, zooplankton and benthic invertebrate communities were similar regardless of hippo presence. Our results suggest that hippos recapitulate their role as ecosystem engineers in Colombia, importing terrestrial organic matter and nutrients with detectable impacts on ecosystem metabolism and community structure in the early stages of invasion. Ongoing range expansion may pose a threat to water resources.
https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley ... 2/ecy.2991
Why is it amusing?

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

https://news.mit.edu/2020/smart-diaper- ... giver-0214
For some infants, a wet diaper is cause for an instant, vociferous demand to be changed, while other babies may be unfazed and happy to haul around the damp cargo for lengthy periods without complaint. But if worn too long, a wet diaper can cause painful rashes, and miserable babies — and parents.

Now MIT researchers have developed a “smart” diaper embedded with a moisture sensor that can alert a caregiver when a diaper is wet. When the sensor detects dampness in the diaper, it sends a signal to a nearby receiver, which in turn can send a notification to a smartphone or computer.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

But it still doesn't change itself.

Get on it, MIT ! :x
Such potential!

Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Witness wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:00 am
Ecosystem effects of the world’s largest invasive animal

Abstract

The keystone roles of mega‐fauna in many terrestrial ecosystems have been lost to defaunation. Large predators and herbivores often play keystone roles in their native ranges, and some have established invasive populations in new biogeographic regions. However, few empirical examples are available to guide expectations about how mega‐fauna affect ecosystems in novel environmental and evolutionary contexts. We examined the impacts on aquatic ecosystems of an emerging population of hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibus) that has been growing in Colombia over the last 25 years. Hippos in Africa fertilize lakes and rivers by grazing on land and excreting wastes in the water. Stable isotopes indicate that terrestrial sources contribute more carbon in Colombian lakes containing hippo populations, and daily dissolved oxygen cycles suggest that their presence stimulates ecosystem metabolism. Phytoplankton communities were more dominated by cyanobacteria in lakes with hippos, while bacteria, zooplankton and benthic invertebrate communities were similar regardless of hippo presence. Our results suggest that hippos recapitulate their role as ecosystem engineers in Colombia, importing terrestrial organic matter and nutrients with detectable impacts on ecosystem metabolism and community structure in the early stages of invasion. Ongoing range expansion may pose a threat to water resources.
https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley ... 2/ecy.2991
Why is it amusing?
Hippos may be the world's largest invasive species, but I think human beings are actually the most invasive species of them all. In fact, most other invasive species only arrive in new places thanks to humans (Pablo Escobar being one example). We tend to bring them with us, either intentionally or sometimes unintentionally.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Can't remember if I already posted this but if I did, sorry. If not, it's worth a watch.

William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:19 am
Hippos may be the world's largest invasive species, but I think human beings are actually the most invasive species of them all.
I'm under the impression that nobody here doubts that. :)

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

What am I missing?
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Hotarubi wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:20 am
What am I missing?
I'm not sure. What are you missing?

Also, a belated welcome to our little asylum of weirdos and misanthropes. :8b:

Try the wine.
William Shakespeare

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Thanks for the welcome. And the cheap wine. :mrgreen:

I don't see the illusion, that's all.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Oh, the illusion.

I don't know if I can help with that. I guess if you don't see it then you don't see it.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Long watch but worthy.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

What does it sound like when you drop a piece of ice into a very deep hole in the ice?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8ZtLImnSg0 ... skmondj2bc

William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

Newton's first law (or, as Galileo put it, "speed is like nothing"):

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

The Charming Doodles Charles Darwin’s Children Left All Over the Manuscript of ‘On the Origin of Species’

From fish with legs to carrot cavalries, an endearing testament to the human life of science.

In contemplating family, work, and happiness, Charles Darwin (February 12, 1809–April 19, 1882) proclaimed: “Children are one’s greatest happiness, but often & often a still greater misery. A man of science ought to have none.” And yet he and Emma had ten. Adept at weighing the pros and cons of family life with equal parts earnestness and irreverence, he clearly concluded that the happiness far outweighs the misery.

There is no more endearing a testament to how this balance skews — to both the exuberant happiness that children bring and the benign misery of the innocent waywardness — than the doodles Darwin’s children left on the back-leaves and in the margins of his Origin of Species manuscript draft, recently digitized by the American Museum of Natural History in collaboration with the Cambridge University Library.

https://www.brainpickings.org/2016/04/0 ... f-species/ Lots more pics.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare