Amusing Science

We are the Borg.
Witness

Re: Amusing Science

Post by Witness »

Scientists Revive 32,000-Year-Old Plant Right Out of the Pleistocene

The oldest plant ever to be “resurrected” has been grown from 32,000-year-old seeds, beating the previous record holder by some 30,000 years.

Fruiting (at left) and flowering plants of Silene stenophylla regenerated from tissue of fossil fruits (S. Yashina et al)
Back in 2007, a team of scientists from Russia, Hungary and the United States recovered frozen Silene stenophylla seeds and remains from the Pleistocene, while investigating about 70 ancient ground squirrel hibernation burrows or caches, hidden in permanently frozen loess-ice deposits in northeastern Siberia, in the plant’s present-day range.

Using radiocarbon dating, the age of the seeds was estimated at between 20,000 and 40,000 years, dating the seeds to the Pleistocene epoch. Rodents would normally eat the food in their larders, but in this case a flood or some other weather event got the whole area buried. Since the rodents had placed the larders at the level of the permafrost, the material froze almost immediately, and did not thaw out at any time since. More than 600,000 fruits and seeds thus preserved were located at the site.

Years later, a team of scientists at the Russian Academy of Sciences went on to successfully revive one of them: a flowering plant from a 32,000-year-old fruit!

The accomplishment surpasses the previous record for the oldest plant material brought back to life, of 2000 years set by Judean date palm seeds. The team led by David Gilichinsky used material recovered in the 2007 research project.
https://www.earthlymission.com/scientis ... ermafrost/ for the technical details.

robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Post by robinson »

This is how the movie Pleistocene Park starts
oh really?

Witness

Post by Witness »

Neanderthal reconstruction, once and now:

robinson2
Title: Not a bot

Post by robinson2 »

What T rex actually looked like

Look upon me and despair

robinson

Post by robinson »

No fucking way!
oh really?

robinson

Post by robinson »

My childhood is ruined
oh really?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Witness wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:33 am
Neanderthal reconstruction, once and now:

They look human, in the second one anyway.

Were neanderthals in fact a separate species or just other humans? Could homo sapiens and neanderthals breed?
If so, is it wrong to classify them as another species?

I wonder if we even know how they really looked.

I'm skeptical of both the old version and the new one. They both may be influenced by the various researcher's agendas. The earlier version may be because the person's image was more ape-like, while the latter may be because they wanted to humanize them and anthropomorphize them, not "other" them. I can imagine ideological motivations and personal preferences affecting it either way.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

robinson2 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:45 am
What T rex actually looked like

Mostly correct except left out the bright colors of the plumage and showy tail feathers.

This is somewhat reminiscent of it's mating song.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:11 am
Were neanderthals in fact a separate species
Yes. (Or at least subspecies.)
Anaxagoras wrote:
or just other humans?
Yes.
Anaxagoras wrote:
Could homo sapiens and neanderthals breed?
Yes.
Anaxagoras wrote:
If so, is it wrong to classify them as another species?
No.

Hope that stumps you, ha ha! :wink:

Anaxagoras wrote:
I wonder if we even know how they really looked.
Yes and no.
A lot can already be deduced from their artifacts, cave paintings attributed to them, where they preferred to live, how they made and used their tools, &c.
Great progress has been made in the reconstruction of fleshy parts from bones (e. g. in legal medicine), including facial features. (At least that's what I read; one could be skeptical.) And as said bones also provide genetic material, we can somewhat infer skin, eye and hair color. This wasn't available to the paleontologists before.
The bones also provide clues about pathology. (I read somewhere that the only modern group suffering the same type of accidents are rodeo riders, but can't remember if it was specifically about Neanderthals or just generic "cave man" living dangerously.)
Anaxagoras wrote:
I'm skeptical of both the old version and the new one. They both may be influenced by the various researcher's agendas. The earlier version may be because the person's image was more ape-like, while the latter may be because they wanted to humanize them and anthropomorphize them, not "other" them. I can imagine ideological motivations and personal preferences affecting it either way.
Of course. But the more new finds are made about Neanderthals, the more they appear fully human in their abilities. It's quite possible we got a lot of tricks (or technology) from them. Difficult to know if that extends to language, social structures or religion…

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

If somebody's interested, I found a reconstruction/interpretation/fantasy art of a Neanderthal woman:
NSFW:

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:02 am
If somebody's interested, I found a reconstruction/interpretation/fantasy art of a Neanderthal woman:
NSFW:
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

I've seen that Neanderthal woman's face before. Trying to place it. Possibly a celebrity.

I think some paleontologist is having a little fun.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Witness wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:02 am
NSFW:
Except for the clothes she could a modern human. I really can't see much obvious difference.

Let's just say I'm skeptical. I can't say it's wrong because I don't know what they truly looked like, but I bet they would have looked a little more different.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

There are anatomical differences:

(from their Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal)

Big, strong, barrel-chested and with brains bigger than ours. Take that, Homo sapiens! :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Engineer Builds Barber Robot That Gives Quarantine Haircuts

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

'Spooky' quantum movements seen happening to large objects, scientists say

'What’s special about this experiment is we’ve seen quantum effects on something as large as a human'

Scientists have seen "spooky" quantum behaviour happening to objects at the human scale, according to a new paper.

Researchers have seen quantum fluctuations "kick" large objects such as mirrors, moving them by a tiny degree but one big enough to measure.

Such behaviour has previously been predicted by quantum physicists. But it has never before been measured.

The movements are the result of the way the universe is structured, when seen at the level of quantum mechanics: researchers describe it as a "noisy" space, where particles are constantly switching in and out of existence, which creates a low-level fuzz at all times.

Normally, that background of quantum "noise" is too subtle to detect in objects that are visible at the human-scale. But the new research shows that scientists have finally detected those movements, using new technology to watch for those fluctuations.

Researchers at the MIT LIGO Laboratory saw that the those fluctuations could move an object as big as a 40-kilogram mirror. The movement pushed the large mirrors a tiny amount, as predicted theoretically, allowing it to be measured by scientists.

The researchers were able to use special equipment called a quantum squeezer that allowed them to "manipulate" the noise so that it could be better observed.

"What's special about this experiment is we've seen quantum effects on something as large as a human," said Nergis Mavalvala, the Marble Professor and associate head of the physics department at MIT, in a statement.

"We too, every nanosecond of our existence, are being kicked around, buffeted by these quantum fluctuations. It's just that the jitter of our existence, our thermal energy, is too large for these quantum vacuum fluctuations to affect our motion measurably. With LIGO's mirrors, we've done all this work to isolate them from thermally driven motion and other forces, so that they are now still enough to be kicked around by quantum fluctuations and this spooky popcorn of the universe."
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 96056.html for the technical details.

robinson

Post by robinson »

The Universe is not only strange, it’s stranger than we can imagine
oh really?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

This one is a bit of a science shitpost but it's amusing.

Bisexual men are real, study finds

Really? This was controversial? :lol:
A scientist who refused to believe bisexual men exist has proved they in fact, do.

Gerulf Rieger of the University of Essex once authored a study which concluded men who claimed to be sexually aroused by both men and women were probably lying.

"Regardless of whether the men were gay, straight or bisexual, they showed about four times more arousal" to one sex or the other, he told the New York Times in 2005, concluding most were gay but didn't want to admit it.

But he's now changed his mind. He and a team of British and American scientists took numerous studies conducted over the past 20 years, weeding out poor quality data, "potentially invalid statistical tests" and "inconsistent findings" and combined them for a larger, more comprehensive look at male sexuality.

"Although some men identify as bisexual and have sexual experiences with men and women, the extent to which this reflects an underlying bisexual orientation has been questioned," their new study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences this week, reads.

"Early sex researchers... believed that bisexual behavior and identification occurred primarily among monosexual (ie, either heterosexual or homosexual) men for reasons other than a bisexual orientation. For example, some homosexual men identify as bisexual, or engage in sex with women, due to social pressures that favour heterosexuality."

Others perhaps doubted the existence of bisexuals because they found it easier to understand monosexuality - either totally gay or totally straight, "because both have strong sexual attraction to one sex and virtually none to the other".

"Furthermore, bisexual individuals may be mistrusted and stigmatised by both heterosexual and homosexual people, and perceived as untrustworthy, promiscuous and unable to commit."
William Shakespeare