Amusing Science

We are the Borg.
Witness

Re: Amusing Science

Post by Witness »

↑ Depends on how exactly you define "human". :mrgreen: (Sadly we are kinda orphans nowadays.)

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Witness wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:33 pm Image
Bet they were good eatin' :Hungry2:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Yes. Throughout Eastern Europe & Siberia they built their huts with the remains:

The mammoth bone huts at Mezhirich near Kiev are ~15,000 years old. The base of each dwelling is a circle of interlocking woolly mammoth jaw bones. The bones for each dwelling weighed about 20 tonnes.
https://twitter.com/Jamie_Woodward_/sta ... 03/photo/1
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Is there any doubt that humans are why the mammoths are extinct?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

Finnish researchers believe they’ve found a real hangover cure

The results of a new study from the University of Helsinki and the University of Eastern Finland suggest that the semi-essential amino acid, L-cysteine, can ease hangover symptoms. L-cysteine, representing a single chemical molecule, is produced in the human body. The researchers recruited 19 men for the study, and they drank cranberry juice and the 10% proof Finnish grain alcohol, Koskenkorva, with the number of drinks each participant received based on his body weight. Each man was given either a placebo, a pill containing 600mg of L-cysteine, or a 1200mg dose of L-cysteine.

The study found that the men who received the 1200mg pill experienced less severe headaches and nausea the following morning, while those who had the smaller dose felt less anxious overall. "The fact of the matter is that higher degree of alcohol-related hangover and stress symptoms lead to more effort ‘curing’ the after-effects by drinking alcohol," they concluded. "L-cysteine would reduce the need of drinking the next day with no or less hangover symptoms: nausea, headache, stress and anxiety. Altogether, these effects of L-cysteine are unique and seem to have a future in preventing or alleviating these harmful symptoms as well as reducing the risk of alcohol addiction."
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/f ... gover-cure

Finland, of course. :mrgreen:
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:10 am
Finnish researchers believe they’ve found a real hangover cure
Altogether, these effects of L-cysteine are unique and seem to have a future in preventing or alleviating these harmful symptomsas well as reducing the risk of alcohol addiction."
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/f ... gover-cure
Finland, of course. :mrgreen:
I'm not sure what is amusing about this but ...

'Hair of the dog that bit you' is a significant part of becoming an alcoholic, so yea, I can see that as being true.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Weird, I'd never drink more because I've drunk too much.

As we're into alcohol:
Thank The Simple Wasp For That Complex Glass Of Wine

The next time you take a sip of your favorite wine, you might want to make your first toast to hornets. Or, more precisely, European hornets and paper wasps.

That's because those big scary flying insects whose stings can be especially painful may be the secret to the wonderful complex aroma and flavor of wine. "Wasps are indeed one of wine lovers' best friends," says Duccio Cavalieri, a professor of microbiology at the University of Florence in Italy.

Cavalieri and his colleagues discovered that these hornets and wasps bite the grapes and help start the fermentation while grapes are still on the vines. They do that by spreading a yeast called Saccharomyces cerevisiae — commonly known as brewer's yeast and responsible for wine, beer and bread fermentation — in their guts. When the wasps bite into the fruit, they leave some of that yeast behind.

Cavalieri says one of the reasons the discovery is so exciting for him is that it's an example of just how connected the natural world is and how humans rely on this interconnection in ways we simply cannot perceive.

"It's important because it's telling to me it's crucial to look at conservation and the study of biodiversity," says Cavalieri, one of the authors who published his findings in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences recently.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... ss-of-wine

Save our burgundies, protect the wasps! :x
Witness

Post by Witness »

Wroclove doc wins international prize for kissing research

A Wrocław scientist has bagged an international prize for her ‘improbable’ research into kissing.

Dr Agnieszka Żelaźniewicz from the University of Wrocław won the Ig Nobel prize as part of an international team after looking into how inequalities in national incomes affect how people kiss.

Entitled ‘National income inequality predicts cultural variation in mouth-to-mouth kissing’, the research published in Nature’s Scientific Reports found that in poorer countries, romantic mouth-to-mouth kissing is more important in long-term relationships.

According to the researchers, mouth-to-mouth kissing is an effective way to check your partner for pathogens, to see if they are healthy and it helps maintain a monogamous relationship which can help survival in harsh environments.
https://www.thefirstnews.com/article/wr ... jEYW7RSVsc

OK, it's an Ig Nobel, but I like it. :)
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

"According to the researchers, mouth-to-mouth kissing is an effective way to check your partner for pathogens"

How romantic!
William Shakespeare
DJ

Post by DJ »

I went to an Ig Nobel award ceremony once many years ago. It was lots of fun with many paper airplanes flying about. I can’t quite recall the details, but one group won for creating a program to allow communication with your pet. The venue was fantastic with lots of carved wood. There was much laughter from the crowd and the guests.