Diet claims and the FDA

We are the Borg.
Denise

Diet claims and the FDA

Post by Denise » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:03 pm

I was watching a news station today. I think it was Cnn. Anyhow, another person with a fad diet was on and his diet was called the hallelujah diet. He is a preacher... Anyhow, he claims that his diet cures cancer and diabetes. I understand that the FDA cannot step in on such cases, and I was wondering why? What law only regulates drugs but not frivilous claims? Why is it that someone can claim brocolli kills breast cancer in advanced stages, but if someone makes the same claim while selling aspirin they can't do it?

Agammamon

Post by Agammamon » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:37 pm

I have a new diet, guaranteed to work. based on the ancient Chinese principle of Chi this diet will allow you to quickly, safely, and easily shed those excess pounds.

The basic principle is that food contains Chi - this element is what causes fat buildup in the body. Continually ingesting food makes the Chi build up faster and this causes weight gain.

To fight the Chi Buildup Effect we have a two step program.

1) By eating less you take in less Chi.
2) By moving around more you allow the odies natural defense mechanism to work to reduce the Chi buildup.

In only a matter of weeks you will notice a dramtic weight loss, guaranteed!

While quick and easy fixes are preferred, why does it seem so hard for normal people to understand that sometimes you've got to do a little work and have a little patience to get what you want?
It will be a great day when the US Air Force has all the bombs it needs and the NEA has to hold a bake sale in order to pay its lobbyists.

Sorgoth

Post by Sorgoth » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:39 pm

Heh...That's great. I think I'm going to steal that "Chi" thing.

Agammamon

Post by Agammamon » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:40 pm

They get away with this for two reasons.

1)The FDA regualtes drugs, but foods and food additives are unregulated as long as they make no medical claims.
2) For those who break the above rule, its still better than even money they'll get away with it simply because there aren't enough resources available to bring all of them to trial.

Perhaps someday when I'm fabulously wealthy and don't have to work anymore I'll devote some of my fortune to sueing these guys in civil court. Even if they win they still lose money. Enough of that happens and the scam stops being profitable.
It will be a great day when the US Air Force has all the bombs it needs and the NEA has to hold a bake sale in order to pay its lobbyists.

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:23 pm

Agammamon wrote:*snip*
While quick and easy fixes are preferred, why does it seem so hard for normal people to understand that sometimes you've got to do a little work and have a little patience to get what you want?
I think it has to do with (in America at least) the notion of instant gratification. The modern aspect began in the late 40s and through the 50s, with the post war boom. We began to see TV dinners, interstates with fast food restaurants, and society began going faster and faster. In the 60s, you saw Twiggy (the first supermodel), who was extremely thin, and while there were those who lambasted her, she was the envy of a generation of girls who wanted to be like her, and the "thin is in" boom began. The Women's Lib movement in the 70s kept it going, with women becoming more independent, and wanting to do what they wanted to do, in order to feel better about themselves. Self-help programs like EST began to take hold, and before long, we find ourselves here today.

That's my opinion, in a nutshell. Of course, entire books can be (and have) been written about the topic.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory