Wind Turbines

We are the Borg.
Witness

Re: Wind Turbines

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:24 am 1MW means it is capable of providing up to 1 megawatt of power statically. 150MWh means it can supply that maximum for 1 hour, 30 minutes.
The Metric System™ strikes again? :mrgreen:
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

??
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Electricity is all "metric" even in the USA.

Except sometimes small electric motors are rated in horsepower.

1 hp == 746 watts.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Witness

Post by Witness »

This joke (yes, Abdul, it's a joke) referred to another of Rob's posts (something about population density). :wink:
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Damn! Do I have to read everything posted here? :evil:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:56 am Damn! Do I have to read everything posted here? :evil:
No, no, gOD beware! But Rob should: viewtopic.php?p=1004761#p1004761
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

I didn't get that one either.

""Please, speak as you might to a young child, or a golden retriever"
-- CEO John Tuld (Jeremy Irons), Margin Call
Witness

Post by Witness »

Well, well…

1. Imagine 4 people per square meter – that's a square 1m x 1m. Feel crowded in the county?

2. 150 MWh = 150 MW · 1h = 75 MW · 2h = 50 MW · 3h = … = 1 MW · 150h (and not 1.5). Because MWh = MW · h. Energy = power · time (duration).

3. One has really to do everything here. :x
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:48 am Electricity is all "metric" even in the USA.

Except sometimes small electric motors are rated in horsepower.

1 hp == 746 watts.
An Ohm was never metric <--negated!!
About that stereo
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

:?

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:13 am Well, well…

1. Imagine 4 people per square meter – that's a square 1m x 1m. Feel crowded in the county?
Oh. I should have written mi. My bad.
2. 150 MWh = 150 MW · 1h = 75 MW · 2h = 50 MW · 3h = … = 1 MW · 150h (and not 1.5). Because MWh = MW · h. Energy = power · time (duration).
okay, i get it. They wrote 1MW but I read 100MW. I'm old. Sometimes I just add zeros.
3. One has really to do everything here. :x
:(
Witness

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 am Oh. I should have written mi.
Abolish the tyranny of Metric™!!!
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

I still don't get the metric part. Please don't be angry. Did I mess up a metric conversion somewhere?
Witness

Post by Witness »

Oh, it's just pep talk for ed. :mrgreen:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Power station switch from coal to hydrogen sets new global example

JOHANNESBURG (miningweekly.com) – The transitioning of a US power station from coal to renewable hydrogen is leading the way in a world urgently in need of meaningful action to combat climate change.

The ground-breaking transition by Intermountain Power Agency of Utah, is being facilitated by Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems, which has steam generator projects at Eskom’s new Medupi and Kusile coal-fired power stations in South Africa.

Utah’s two-unit 1 900 MW coal-fired Intermountain power plant is operated by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, America’s largest municipal utility, which is overseeing the new clean, green advance that follows the announcement by Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti last year of a sustainable city plan that embraces 100% renewable power.

In a media release to Mining Weekly on Wednesday, Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems stated that the order secured from Intermountain Power Agency is for the first advanced-class gas turbines designed to transition from coal to renewable hydrogen fuel and that the company had also been assigned to convert the Magnum Vattenfall 440 MW power plant in the Netherlands to 100% hydrogen by 2025.

At Intermountain, from 2025 electricity is scheduled to be generated from a mix of 30% hydrogen and 70% natural gas, and phasing up to 100% hydrogen power by 2045. The initial hydrogen and natural gas fuel mix to mid-2020 will reduce carbon emissions by 75%. Then,to meet California law, from 2025 onwards, the hydrogen capability would be systematically increased to 100% renewable hydrogen, enabling carbon-free utility-scale power generation.

Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems added in the release that it was now focused on bringing similar decarbonisation solutions to Africa and the Middle East.

In Utah, another key element being developed is advanced clean energy storage (ACES), which Magnum Development will be providing adjacent to Intermountain’s power plant.

The ACES project will use a combination of renewable power to produce and store hydrogen through electrolysis, with the hydrogen stored in an on-site underground salt dome, using technology that has been in operation for the past 30 years to supply hydrogen to refineries on the US’ Gulf Coast. This stored renewable hydrogen will provide power when wind and solar availability blinks.
https://www.miningweekly.com/article/po ... 020-05-14/ for the rest.

We'll see how that "media release" works out.
Witness

Post by Witness »

ANALYSIS: Renewable energy consumption topped coal in 2019 for the first time since 1885: EIA
  • Coal energy consumption falls to lowest level since 1964
  • Renewable energy consumption rises four straight years
  • Low gas prices spurring reduced coal consumption
Houston — US renewable energy consumption in 2019 surpassed coal energy consumption for the first time in 130 years as coal used for electricity continues to decline while more renewables are joining the grid as part of an energy transition to cleaner power sources, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration's Monthly Energy Review.

Total renewable energy consumption in 2019 reached a record high of 11.5 quadrillion Btus, an increase of 1.4% year on year and the fourth straight year to grow, according to the report. Meanwhile, coal energy consumption fell to 11.3 quads, a drop of 15% year on year to its lowest level since 1964 and its sixth consecutive year to fall.

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/mark ... e-1885-eia
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:52 am
ANALYSIS: Renewable energy consumption topped coal in 2019 for the first time since 1885: EIA
  • Coal energy consumption falls to lowest level since 1964
  • Renewable energy consumption rises four straight years
  • Low gas prices spurring reduced coal consumption
https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/mark ... e-1885-eia
:lol:
Number 2 is like a politician shoving Number 3's aside to take credit for his hard work.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:46 am :lol:
Number 2 is like a politician shoving Number 3's aside to take credit for his hard work.
Of course.

But it also means a cash inflow for renewables, whatever the reason.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Biggest UK solar plant approved

The go-ahead has been given to the UK’s biggest solar farm, stretching 900 acres on the north Kent coast.

The government has approved the controversial scheme, which will supply power to 91,000 homes.

The project could include one of the world’s largest energy storage systems.

But it has been fiercely opposed by many local people, and it’s divided green groups. Greenpeace, the RSPB and the countryside charity CPRE are against the plan.

They say it’s industrialising the countryside - and may harm an adjacent wildlife site.

But Friends of the Earth offered qualified support, on the grounds that the current intensively-farmed land was bad for wildlife anyway.

Their spokesperson Mike Childs said: “No-one wants to see damage to local habitats, but this is not some lovely, untouched meadow.

“Changing the use of the site from intensive agriculture will reduce the high level of chemicals currently harming insects and wildlife - but we have to hold the developers to account”.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52841223

They… They have sunshine? :shock:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Solar costs have fallen 82% since 2010

The levelized cost of energy generated by large scale solar plants is around $0.068/kWh, compared to $0.378 ten years ago and the price fell 13.1% between 2018 and last year alone, according to figures released by the International Renewable Energy Agency.

“Since 2010, the cost of energy has dropped by 82% for photovoltaic solar, by 47% for concentrated solar energy (CSP), by 39% for onshore wind and by 29% for wind offshore.”

Those remarkable price falls are quoted by the International Renewable Energy Agency (Irena) in its Renewable Power Generation Costs in 2019 report.

The figures were compiled from the costs and tariffs reported for 17,000 renewable energy project tenders last year which should eventually add up to 1.7 GW of clean power generation capacity.

The cost reductions witnessed in the last decade were due to improved technology, economies of scale, supply chain competitiveness and the growing experience of developers, said Irena.

“The same amount of money invested in renewable energy is producing far more new capacity today than it was ten years ago,” stated the multilateral organization. In 2010, the 88 GW of renewables capacity installed worldwide required the equivalent of $210 billion. Last year, twice that capacity volume was put into service for $253 billion – around 20% more investment.
https://www.pv-magazine.com/2020/06/03/ ... ince-2010/ for the rest.