Wind Turbines

We are the Borg.
Witness

Re: Wind Turbines

Post by Witness »

Coal - free first for electricity in Great Britain

Coronavirus slump and sunniest spring on record send green energy soaring in England, Wales and Scotland

Great Britain’s electricity system recorded its “greenest” ever month in May after running without coal-fired electricity for a full calendar month.

The National Grid, the energy system operator, said the country’s sunniest spring on record helped generate enough solar power to reduce the carbon intensity of the grid to its lowest level ever recorded.

The bright and breezy weather helped wind and solar power make up about 28% of Great Britain’s electricity last month, narrowly behind gas-fired power generation, which made up 30% of the energy mix.

Meanwhile, the record low demand for electricity during the coronavirus lockdown has left little room for Great Britain’s last remaining coal power plants to play a role.

Since April Great Britain’s electricity system has run without coal-fired power for about 54 consecutive days, which has helped the carbon intensity of the electricity grid fall to the lowest average carbon intensity on record at 143 grams of CO2 per kilowatt-hour.

The lowest carbon intensity ever was recorded at 46g CO2/kWh on Sunday 24 May.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... month-ever

Witness

Post by Witness »

Italy begins the first floating wind power plant in the Mediterranean

Italian developers have begun work on a 750-million-euro (840-million-U.S.-dollar) plan that would create the Mediterranean Sea’s first floating wind farm.

The so-called 7Seas Med project will involve 25 floating wind turbines producing up to ten megawatts of power each. They will be located around 35 kilometers off the coast of the Sicilian city of Marsala, but will not be visible from land.

Italian officials said it is necessary to invest in the kind of cutting-edge technology the wind farm represents, despite the drop in oil prices during the coronavirus pandemic that makes that energy source unusually inexpensive.

“An ambitious plan like this is an investment in the next 25 or 30 years, and so it has to look beyond a temporary drop in oil prices,” Edo Ronchi, a former Italian environment minister who is now president of the Foundation for Sustainable Development, told Xinhua.
https://www.evwind.es/2020/06/19/italy- ... nean/75240

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:53 am
Italy begins the first floating wind power plant in the Mediterranean
The development of floating wind farms is based on a new technology, which allows the turbines to work in water too deep for turbines to be built into the seabed. That is the case in the area off the coast of Marsala, where the water is 300 meters deep. Offshore wind turbines cannot be effectively anchored into the seabed at depths of more than 50 meters.
:notsure:

Well, it's gotta be anchored to something, even if it's just the transmission cable itself. I'm not sure I'd want to put all of the stress on one cable, particularly one not designed to that specific end. The windward forces on that floating tower are not going to be trivial.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf

I'm going to chalk this up to poor reporting.

I wish them luck and good, honest bid process for their contractors.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Speaking from ignorance of specifics here, could they pushing against current or tidal forces?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I won't go as far as to say that tidal forces here are negligible, or even trivial, but they are certainly swamped by wind forces capable of generating 10MW.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Ahhh, makes sense.

Here's another article--I think you're right about the bad reporting on the first--this one indicates that the floating kind would still be anchored.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2020/04/0 ... at-floats/
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness »

Yes, they are anchored to the seabed. Some concrete box is towed in place, then sunk and filled with sand.

But it would be an interesting engineering problem to have the turbine stay in place dynamically: add propulsion + GPS. Probably not worth the hassle.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Next up: Tethered rigid aerostat with biggest yet wind turbine to harness the jet stream. :coolspecs:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:33 am
Next up: Tethered rigid aerostat with biggest yet wind turbine to harness the jet stream. :coolspecs:
They don't seem to stay in place:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Make the tether adaptable and let it wander. Or else fill the skies so there are always a few in the right place. :p
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.