High tech and Islam go together in Saudi Arabia

We are the Borg.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

High tech and Islam go together in Saudi Arabia

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:17 am

No degenerate infidel "political correctness" here. :Muhammad:

Women-tracking app that lets Saudi Arabian men track their wives is ALLOWED on Apple and Google stores and has been downloaded more than one million times
Daily Fail
Apple and Google are being accused of helping to 'enforce gender apartheid' in Saudi Arabia by offering an app on their platforms which allows men to track women and stop them leaving the country.

Absher is available on both the Google Play and iTunes store and is an app developed by the Saudi government which allows men to specify when and how women can cross Saudi borders - and will even alert them if they do so.

Absher's travel 'featured' have been identified by activists and refugees as a major factor in the continued difficulty women have leaving Saudi Arabia.

The app allows for guardians to state where women can go, for how long and which airports they're allowed to go to.

Alerts are triggered if a woman leaves a certain area. It is one of the main reasons women have difficulty trying to flee Saudi Arabia are often get caught.

Absher tips off male guardians and the fleeing women can be apprehended whil still withint the while the fleeing women can still be apprehended.

screenshot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: High tech and Islam go together in Saudi Arabia

Post by sparks » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:19 am

Now that's horseshit that's got to stop. Best way is for all Freedom Loving (tm) :freedom: users of Dumb and Dumber products to boycott them.

Hear that Doc? Get a PC!!
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 am

Google is evil
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:36 am

No, but it is clearly enabling teh Ebil!!
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:04 am

ed wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 am
Google is evil
But when Trump supports the Saudi government, that's different. Not evil then.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:39 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:04 am
ed wrote:
Google is evil
But when Trump Every president since Truman supports the Saudi government, that's different. Not evil then.
FTFY HTH :)

xouper

Post by xouper » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:17 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:04 am
ed wrote:
Google is evil
But when Trump supports the Saudi government, that's different. Not evil then.
Apart from Adbul's correction, the notion of "support" is not a binary thing, it is a spectrum of various kinds. Thus it is possible for certain kinds of "support" to be evil, while other kinds of "support" are not evil.

See for example: The fallacy of equivocation

Thus it is possible for both of these statements to be true at the same time:
  • Google is evil for "supporting" Saudi Arabia.
  • The president is not evil for "supporting" Saudi Arabia.
Because the word "support" can mean two different things in those two statements.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:42 am

Sigh.

Trump's support for Saudi Arabia, both rhetorical and in terms of doing business with them, has certainly gone beyond anything that Google or Apple has done.

The app in question is not made by Apple or Google, they just sell smartphones that can install the app and it can be downloaded through their respective app stores. I suppose they could refuse to distribute it, but then the Saudi government could retaliate by banning the sale of their phones in their country.

Meanwhile the US sells more weapons to Saudi Arabia than to any other country. So I'm just pointing out, if you want to criticize Google as "evil" because they do business with Saudi Arabia, please be consistent and criticize all who do business with them. And, yes I realize that Trump is not the first president to do business with them but I think he's gone above and beyond what past presidents have done to lend them rhetorical support at a time when even the US senate is trying to distance us from them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... s-weapons/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reu ... SKBN1OC2S3
William Shakespeare

ed

Post by ed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:34 pm

I said something similar regarding the hypocrisy of the Clintons. The point is that Trump is President and he is playing a long game to advance US interests. He is not bleating about "Doing good" or sanctimoniously talking about the advancement of progressive causes or basically taking on the mantle of a SJW. He has broad powers to protect us and to advance the USA.

Not so with Google <spit> or Apple. If they both stated that "hey, we are companies, our job is to advance stockholder value by any legal means. You don't like it? Fuck off" it would be a different story entirely. They don't. That is what makes them fucking evil.

xouper

Post by xouper » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:03 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:42 am
Sigh.

Trump's support for Saudi Arabia, both rhetorical and in terms of doing business with them, has certainly gone beyond anything that Google or Apple has done.

The app in question is not made by Apple or Google, they just sell smartphones that can install the app and it can be downloaded through their respective app stores. I suppose they could refuse to distribute it, but then the Saudi government could retaliate by banning the sale of their phones in their country.

Meanwhile the US sells more weapons to Saudi Arabia than to any other country. So I'm just pointing out, if you want to criticize Google as "evil" because they do business with Saudi Arabia, please be consistent and criticize all who do business with them. And, yes I realize that Trump is not the first president to do business with them but I think he's gone above and beyond what past presidents have done to lend them rhetorical support at a time when even the US senate is trying to distance us from them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... s-weapons/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reu ... SKBN1OC2S3
"Doing business with" is not the same as "selling a product that's sole purpose is to violate civil liberties of women."

Google and Apple both restrict what kinds of products they allow in their stores. The fact that they allow some products and not others opens them up to accusations of hypocrisy and evil-doing.

ed

Post by ed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:10 pm

In fact, Google's <spit> TOS now precludes gun related products from being advertised.

Actually, what pisses me off the most are the sanctimonious cocksuckers (getting prepped for the Deadwood movie Boss) that work there that are oh so pure and get the vapors if they have to work with someone who is not part of their robotic monoculture.

I can only wish that a troop of illegals squat in their gated community.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:16 pm

A reliably anti-Communist state set up by the British after the First World War.

What could go wrong?

ed

Post by ed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:11 pm

Shoulda been the House of Goy

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:29 pm

Although here in the USA we wouldn't have the authorities backing us up and apprehending them, I'm wondering whether we could still buy the app.

To track "our" women or anybody really. :)

ed

Post by ed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm

If its predicated on passport number it would be sorta useless.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:52 pm

ed wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm
If its predicated on passport number it would be sorta useless.
So much for that idea.

But how much you want to bet the code is parameterized so that it could be tailored to any oppressor's tracking needs without a lot of additional coding?

:)

ed

Post by ed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:54 pm

I have Family Map on all my kids phones. I pay for the phone, I can do what I want.

Bwahahaha

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Anax is just trying to be PC.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:27 am

Microchip & RFID under the skin.
A tattoo on the forehead would be nice too, but… there's the burqa. :( (And Muslims are against tattoos, no?)

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:58 am

xouper wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:03 pm
"Doing business with" is not the same as "selling a product that's sole purpose is to violate civil liberties of women."

Google and Apple both restrict what kinds of products they allow in their stores. The fact that they allow some products and not others opens them up to accusations of hypocrisy and evil-doing.
Well, let's be precise here. That's not the "sole purpose" of the app, it also has other functions like you can use it to renew your driver's license. And none of the stories I've seen about it says that they are "selling" the app. (There are apps in the app stores that are free to download.)

All that said, I do think they should probably remove it. The guardianship system is abhorrent, and we should not condone it or help to enable it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sa ... a63e4abf62
Both Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International are calling for the app’s removal.

“The use of the Absher app to curtail the movement of women once again highlights the disturbing system of discrimination against women under the guardianship system and the need for genuine human rights reforms in the country, rather than just social and economic reform,” a spokesperson for Amnesty International said in a statement to HuffPost.

In an open letter on Monday, Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) also called on Apple CEO Tim Cook and Google CEO Sundar Pichai to immediately remove the “abhorrent” Absher app from their respective services.

“It is hardly news that the Saudi monarchy seeks to restrict and repress Saudi women, but American companies should not enable or facilitate the Saudi government’s patriarchy,” Wyden wrote.

Google and Apple did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
An open letter from a US senator will probably get their attention. They haven't publicly responded yet, but we'll see what happens. They may not have been aware of the issue, but surely they are aware of it now.

William Shakespeare