Nuclear vs Renewables

We are the Borg.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Nuclear vs Renewables

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:48 am

https://quillette.com/2019/02/27/why-re ... he-planet/
Germany’s carbon emissions have been flat since 2009, despite an investment of $580 billion by 2025 in a renewables-heavy electrical grid, a 50 percent rise in electricity cost.

Meanwhile, France produces one-tenth the carbon emissions per unit of electricity as Germany and pays little more than half for its electricity. How? Through nuclear power.

Then, under pressure from Germany, France spent $33 billion on renewables, over the last decade. What was the result? A rise in the carbon intensity of its electricity supply, and higher electricity prices, too.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Nuclear vs Renewables

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:42 pm

Nuclear wins hands-down in all categories but love.

As a humorious aside.
Spoiler:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:33 pm

In fact nuclear is (or can be) renewable (literally).

It can even be greenie weenie if were careful with it.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:41 pm

One more time on this and then I'll shut the fuck up: LFTR.

Google it motherfuckers.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:56 pm

Liquid fluoride?

You mean like the Commies put in our water? :evil:

And what if someone throws some into a child's face? :o

Why do you hate children? :cry:

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:16 pm

Search again AA. If you can't come up with better than what you just posted, then go fuck yourself. And don't disgrace this thread with your bullshit again. You intolerable wanker. :)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:25 pm

sparks wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:16 pm
Search again AA. If you can't come up with better than what you just posted, then go fuck yourself. And don't disgrace this thread with your bullshit again. You intolerable wanker. :)
Emphasis added. Quite right. :P

In fact I already know what it is without googling, but made a conscious deliberate moral decision to piss you off. :cowbell:

sparks

Post by sparks » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:11 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:25 pm
sparks wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:16 pm
Emphasis added. Quite right. :P

In fact I already know what it is without googling, but made a conscious deliberate moral decision to piss you off. :cowbell:
Thank you. You're the only one who cares these days. :D

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:01 pm

sparks wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:41 pm
One more time on this and then I'll shut the fuck up: LFTR.
Or really just a handful of LFTRs that burn the 'waste' from the more conventional reactors. LFTR technology isn't a panacea, after all; it does have its issues.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:09 am

From 2016:
Uranium Seawater Extraction Makes Nuclear Power Completely Renewable

America, Japan and China are racing to be the first nation to make nuclear energy completely renewable. The hurdle is making it economic to extract uranium from seawater, because the amount of uranium in seawater is truly inexhaustible.

And it seems America is in the lead. New technological breakthroughs from DOE’s Pacific Northwest (PNNL) and Oak Ridge (ORNL) national laboratories have made removing uranium from seawater within economic reach and the only question is - when will the source of uranium for our nuclear power plants change from mined ore to seawater extraction?

Nuclear fuel made with uranium extracted from seawater makes nuclear power completely renewable. It’s not just that the 4 billion tons of uranium in seawater now would fuel a thousand 1,000-MW nuclear power plants for a 100,000 years. It’s that uranium extracted from seawater is replenished continuously, so nuclear becomes as endless as solar, hydro and wind.

Specifically, this latest technology builds on work by researchers in Japan and uses polyethylene fibers coated with amidoxime to pull in and bind uranium dioxide from seawater (see figure above). In seawater, amidoxime attracts and binds uranium dioxide to the surface of the fiber braids, which can be on the order of 15 centimeters in diameter and run multiple meters in length depending on where they are deployed (see figure below).

After a month or so in seawater, the lengths are remotely released to the surface and collected. An acid treatment recovers the uranium in the form of a uranyl complex, regenerating the fibers that can be reused many times. The concentrated uranyl complex then can be enriched to become nuclear fuel.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca ... renewable/

So where is it? :x

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:34 pm

Not much new under this sun. It's still a hundred times cheaper to mine it. When that changes, thorium will be the fuel of choice.

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:05 pm

I've read that the tailings from rare Earth mines are loaded with Thorium. Just a matter of refinement. Have to take exception with the statement that sea water extraction is renewable. It is a large reservoir of Uranium, but it's hardly inexhaustible. There is only so much source material to replace what we would remove from sea water. But then, one day the sun will run out of fuel too, so I realize I'm nit picking here. :P Wind, solar and hydro-electric are 'renewable' only so long as the sun shines you Greenmunists! :D

robinson
Title: Be good to each other

Post by robinson » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:33 pm

Nuclear is only affordable if you lay the real cost onto the next 500 generations.
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

sparks

Post by sparks » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:50 pm

That depends on how you do nuclear Robby. Our first attempt with solid fuel is fucked, no question about it. But Weinberg who patented his designs on those first attempts quickly realized that it was not the best way. At ORNL, he and some others built and operated the first Molten Salt Reactor as a test bed to calibrate what it would take to scale it up and eventually, use Thorium to make new fuel. All started as a part of a hair brained idea to run nuclear powered bombers from fucking fission. Never came to fruition of course because Von Braun, the fucking little Nazi, figured out ICBMs in the meantime. And then in the early 70s, our buddy Tricky Dick cancelled the program IIRC. That stupid sonofabitch. :x

Good night and good luck fuckers.